Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124163 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #360 on: July 09, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »

I think there was all of ten ppl on the site then lol random sidebar but I was chatting with Hannah the other day and ended up looking through my reviews (that I've left) on my account. SO MANY of them are on your stories... A DECADE AGO. I was like omg AC really is ten years old lol That was three years before we even became mods!

I feel like a dinosaur sometimes! lol aww I should do that too! I haven't ever gone back and looked at that before.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »

Do you do any writing in "real life" outside of fanfic?

I am in the midst of trying to write quite a few novels right now. I keep bouncing back and forth between them and can't seem to just focus on one! As far as work, I'm usually the one people come to when they need to say something and can't figure out how to put it into words. I'm also constantly writing short stories and songs for school.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #362 on: July 09, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »

Because of what Julilly just said, this is a fun question and I guess shows you how much you actually participate in the leaving feedback area!

How many reviews have you left on the site according to your statistics? (granted it would probably be more before we moved servers awhile ago)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #363 on: July 09, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »

Has anyone ever written a part like that that DID get a negative reaction from readers who think they went too far? I don't think so.  I know a few people weren't too happy when I killed the New Kids off in Save A Prayer though lol.

What's the most extreme, "Oh no you di-in't!" type part you've ever written? Maybe the bot flies scene or the plane crash in Save A Prayer

What extreme scenes have shocked you in other people's stories? I don't really shock that easy when it comes to reading.  So I won't say I was shocked, but at first I was a little wary of reading a story about a child killer (Protect And Serve). Also the scene in SFTU where Brian kills his zombie family had the 'wow factor' because up until then I don't think we knew they were going to turn into zombies.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »

On average, how many reviews do you get per update? Depends on the story, between 0 and 12.  I can't believe I actually had 12 reviews for one chapter of a story!

How has the amount of feedback you receive changed over the years you've been writing? It's about the same really as some stories seem more popular than others, which is fine because I know they won't appeal to everyone.

Which do you prefer when it comes to reviews, quality or quantity? It is nice when someone leaves more than just a "update soon", but I'm grateful for all my reviews and am just glad to see people like some of my stuff.

Do you remember the first piece of feedback you got for a fanfic? No, I can't remember exactly.  It was for one of my old Take That stories though.

What was the first story you posted that surprised you with the amount of feedback it got? Ten Things.  I really didn't expect it to get the amount of readers it got as I was typing whatever popped into my head and sometimes it didn't flow as well as I would've liked.  Also, there are a couple of major plot mistakes towards the beginning, but no one seemed to mention it.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #365 on: July 09, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

Because of what Julilly just said, this is a fun question and I guess shows you how much you actually participate in the leaving feedback area!

How many reviews have you left on the site according to your statistics? (granted it would probably be more before we moved servers awhile ago)

2077 :) wow that's a lot of reading!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »

No, although I would love to try it some day.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »

2077 :) wow that's a lot of reading!

I knew yours would be HUGE! lol and Tracy's as well I bet!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »

LOL yeah, Tracy is a few hundred behind me :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »

On average, how many reviews do you get per update?
My three most recent novels, Guilty Roads, Secrets of the Heart, and Song for the Undead, have 4-5 reviews per chapter on average, which is pretty typical.  It can vary a lot from story to story, though.  Curtain Call was averaging 13 reviews per chapter, while most chapters of 00Carter just get one (from Tracy LOL).

How has the amount of feedback you receive changed over the years you've been writing?
It's definitely gone up since I first started writing.  I thought I'd hit my peak with feedback during the Broken/BMS era, when it was still mostly through email, but then I think Curtain Call topped that.  Honestly, it tends to fluctuate depending on whether or not I'm writing a Nick story LOL.  I get more feedback when I'm writing about Nick than any of the other Boys.  If I was all about reviews, I would just keep churning out those Nick cancer stories or write more Nick romance, cause that's where the readers are! LOL

Which do you prefer when it comes to reviews, quality or quantity?
I'll be honest; I do like quantity!  It's nice to know people are reading, even if all they say is "Great chapter!" or "Update!"  But a single, detailed review means much more to me than five one-liners, so I have to agree with everyone else and go with quality over quantity.

Do you remember the first piece of feedback you got for a fanfic?
I do!  It was from a girl named Heidi (pen name Rachel) for my first story, Heartache, a month after I got it hosted on a fanfic site.  I don't remember exactly what she said, other than that she liked it, but I do remember being absolutely giddy with happiness over getting her email.  I replied back, and she sent more feedback later on for the rest of the story, and that exchange started a friendship and, later, a writing partnership.  We read each other's stories, hosted each other's stories, and collaborated on four stories together.

What was the first story you posted that surprised you with the amount of feedback it got?
Broken.  That was the story that sort of put me in the map as far as fanfic goes.  I got significantly more feedback for it than I had any of my earlier stories.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »

Has anyone ever written a part like that that DID get a negative reaction from readers who think they went too far?
The only thing I can think of is when I was writing Broken, one of my close friends who had been reading it and giving me feedback the whole time told me she didn't think she could read anymore because it was just too much for her.  It was at the peak of Nick torture, when he was going through post-choppage chemo, and she was pregnant and having some issues with that, so I could understand why she wouldn't want to read that.  Other than that, I can't remember ever getting that kind of a reaction.

What's the most extreme, "Oh no you di-in't!" type part you've ever written?
Probably either Brian killing his zombie family in Song for the Undead or the "Muffin Man" part in Revenge of the Slaughtered.

What extreme scenes have shocked you in other people's stories?
Steph's bot fly scene, for sure!!  The alternate ending to Mare's Whatever the Night May Bring... I think it was Ending A, but she'll know which one. ;)  If we're going way back, the rape scene in Signal to Noise.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Not really.  I write in front of my students when I'm teaching writer's workshop, and I'm starting my masters this fall, so I'm sure I'll be doing some writing for that, but I don't do any writing for fun outside of fanfic.  I have a few ideas for original fiction novels, but no real motivation to write any of them.

How many reviews have you left on the site according to your statistics?
649 - nowhere near some of you prolific reviewers!
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »

How many reviews have you left on the site according to your statistics?
649 - nowhere near some of you prolific reviewers!

Saka-Steph will appreciate why I found 649 to be amusing!

Mine is less than 300, I was sort of ashamed.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

That's because you don't leave reviews for your favorite stories, Julily ;). Mine's 112, but growing. When I was simply reading and not writing much, I didn't leave many reviews at all. I did a lot of reading before I even registered with the site. Now that I've been writing a lot and doing the reading challenge, I understand the value of good feedback, so I'm trying to do better!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »

I am at 789 but I'm going to go ahead and round up to 790 because I leave a review a day.

I don't think that's bad considering how little I actually do read. It would have been way higher had it been when I first found fanfic. LOL
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50