Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124120 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #510 on: July 13, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »

I never do it with books, which is why it was weird I did it with fanfics.  Well, that's not entirely true... I used to flip ahead a few chapters in my Lurlene McDaniel books, if they were moving too slowly for me, to find out how much farther I had to read before the main character got diagnosed with some deadly disease.  They pretty much all followed the same formula, so it was never hard to find.

A related confession:  the reason I finally read "Between the Lines," after always writing it off as something I wouldn't like because it was an AU about baseball, was that I found out through word of mouth that one of the boys had a brain tumor in it.  I was like, "Baseball?  Boring...  Wait, brain tumor?  Sold!"  Once I read it (and loved it), I realized it would have been a great story even without the brain tumor, but of course, that made it even better.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #511 on: July 13, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »

LMAO!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »

Julie, I loved the Lurlene McDaniels books when I was growing up! That's about all I have to say right now because my DSL is down and I'm on my phone, but you ladies were chatty today. May catch up later!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »

Awesome!  Yeah, unsurprisingly, she was my favorite author from about fourth grade to halfway through high school LOL.

Hope your internet comes back soon!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #514 on: July 14, 2013, 02:04:41 AM »

A related confession:  the reason I finally read "Between the Lines," after always writing it off as something I wouldn't like because it was an AU about baseball, was that I found out through word of mouth that one of the boys had a brain tumor in it.  I was like, "Baseball?  Boring...  Wait, brain tumor?  Sold!"  Once I read it (and loved it), I realized it would have been a great story even without the brain tumor, but of course, that made it even better.

lol I love that story for the same reason too. Actually, when I read the story again, I tend to skip all the first chapters and go straight to the part when he is dying.  :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #515 on: July 14, 2013, 02:45:33 AM »

lol I love that story for the same reason too. Actually, when I read the story again, I tend to skip all the first chapters and go straight to the part when he is dying.  :D

LOL Makes sense; that's a pretty long story!

Have you ever read Cardio (http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/cardio.html)?  It's an OLD story, but right up your alley!  I have quite a vivid memory of being 14 and reading it... I had just gotten contacts and was only supposed to wear them for a few hours each day to break them in, and I remember sitting in front of my computer in my room with my contacts in and freaking sobbing over this story and worrying that the tears were going to wash the contacts right out of my eyes LOL.  I was so dramatic back then!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #516 on: July 14, 2013, 02:48:10 AM »

My conversation with Cinzia in the confession thread gave me an idea for another question:

How have your feelings about each boy changed over the years, from when you first became a fan until now?  Has your writing reflected any of these changes (like, do you find yourself writing more or less about certain boys than you used to)?
~Julie

usako

« Reply #517 on: July 14, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »

LOL Makes sense; that's a pretty long story!

Have you ever read Cardio (http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/cardio.html)?  It's an OLD story, but right up your alley!  I have quite a vivid memory of being 14 and reading it... I had just gotten contacts and was only supposed to wear them for a few hours each day to break them in, and I remember sitting in front of my computer in my room with my contacts in and freaking sobbing over this story and worrying that the tears were going to wash the contacts right out of my eyes LOL.  I was so dramatic back then!

I did read it. And I sobbed like a little girl. I still sob when I read it again.  :-[ :-[

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #518 on: July 14, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »

I did read it. And I sobbed like a little girl. I still sob when I read it again.  :-[ :-[

I haven't read it in a long time, but I read it quite a few times back in the day and probably cried every time.  That story inspired the first fanfic I ever finished and posted online, cause I thought of how he could be saved LOL.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #519 on: July 14, 2013, 03:20:18 AM »

I haven't read it in a long time, but I read it quite a few times back in the day and probably cried every time.  That story inspired the first fanfic I ever finished and posted online, cause I thought of how he could be saved LOL.

I thought it too. I was like: "He can't die. He can't."  :'( I was still in the period when I couldn't imagine a story without an happy ending. Now... well, now I'm more excited if there is the "character death" in the warnings.  :D

My conversation with Cinzia in the confession thread gave me an idea for another question:

How have your feelings about each boy changed over the years, from when you first became a fan until now?  Has your writing reflected any of these changes (like, do you find yourself writing more or less about certain boys than you used to)?

As I said in our conversation, I wasn't (and still I'm not) a Nick's girl. But, writing about him (always together with Brian) has changed my feelings towards him. I'm still not in love with him, I still don't get all the hype and crazyness but writing has given me a different perspectives towards him, especially because I tend to write more on the physochologist side so I have to literally enter into his mind. I still love more my Nick than the real one, though. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #520 on: July 14, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »

LOL I have definitely felt that way about Nick before - I loved my Broken Nick better than real life Nick during the Dark Ages (2003-2004).  Pretty much anyone's Nick was more ideal than real life Nick back then!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2013, 05:18:03 AM »

I think my feelings for the boys haven't really changed all that much over the years. It's interesting to me, that once Kevin did leave the group, it did become harder for me to write about them all because I felt like they had lost that brotherly connection. I have always felt like he was the bonding point for them.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2013, 05:20:50 AM »

It's funny because even through his dark time, I never stopped liking Nick. I actually think I started taking more of an interest in him because I was so worried about him and felt like he had no one to turn to. I'm pretty sure that's when I also started disliking Brian. lol

usako

« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2013, 05:39:22 AM »

It's funny because even through his dark time, I never stopped liking Nick. I actually think I started taking more of an interest in him because I was so worried about him and felt like he had no one to turn to. I'm pretty sure that's when I also started disliking Brian. lol

I wasn't a passionate fan in those years, especially because at that time I didn't have Internet so I couldn't access to all the information. But I think that my not linking Nick started when I found out that he, along with the boys, hadn't been there for Brian for his surgery. And it still piss me off when some fans try to justify him saying that he was too young to understand. lol They make him sound like he was an idiot or stupid since he was 18 years old. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2013, 05:44:45 AM »

I never stopped liking Nick, but I did find myself shaking my head sadly at him fairly often.  The Punk'd episode is a perfect example.  Oh, Nick... LOL.  But remembering how he was then just makes me appreciate the way he is now even more!

I might as well answer the rest of my question now.  As I've already said with Nick, he was my least favorite at one point, early on in my fandom, and is now a close second favorite.  I write about him a lot more now than I did when I started writing fanfic.

Brian has always been my favorite Backstreet Boy and still is and always will be, but if I'm being totally honest, I probably did love him a little bit more back in the good old days of Frick & Frack and before the Husband/Wylee days.  I like Leighanne (most of the time), but sometimes the two of them together are just ridiculous, and I think that's totally her influence.  I'd still marry him in a heartbeat, though... and make him stop wearing scarves and carrying manpurses and homeschooling his son.  :angel:  I used to make Brian the lead in just about every story I wrote, but since he got married and had Baylee, I've been writing about him less and less... it's just hard to ditch the baggage.

AJ used to be my second favorite after Brian, until he was replaced by Nick.  I still like him, though, and he's probably my favorite to write as a supporting character in my stories.

My love for Howie and Kevin has grown a lot since probably about the Never Gone era.  I never paid much attention to either of them before that, but I've come to appreciate them.  Kevin leaving was probably good for my Howie love because it gave Howie an opportunity to step up and show more of his personality, which I quite enjoy, but Kevin coming back has increased my love for Kevin tenfold!  I've never liked Kevin more than I do right now.  And while I never really wrote about either of them in my stories, other than as supporting characters, I'm giving Kevin a lot of attention in Guilty Roads and have an idea for a Howie novel messing with my head right now.  They're both bringing more balance to my writing.

~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50