Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124139 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #525 on: July 14, 2013, 05:45:48 AM »

I wasn't a passionate fan in those years, especially because at that time I didn't have Internet so I couldn't access to all the information. But I think that my not linking Nick started when I found out that he, along with the boys, hadn't been there for Brian for his surgery. And it still piss me off when some fans try to justify him saying that he was too young to understand. lol They make him sound like he was an idiot or stupid since he was 18 years old. lol

There may be some truth to that...

LOL just kidding... maybe...  :-\
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #526 on: July 14, 2013, 05:47:19 AM »

Along the same lines, I was never a Nick girl.  Now, I kind of left the "fandom" for a while, particularly after Kevin left, but even before.  At that time in my life, I was just so busy with things like school and marriage at a very young age (I was 21, he was 28), that I just really didn't think much about it much.  Oh, I still loved them, but to actually be paying much attention to what they were doing-- I didn't.  The NKOTBSB tour is actually what brought me back (sorry, Mare).  A couple friends and I ended up going, and I was "Holy #$%!  Have you seen/heard Nick?"  That man has aged to gracefully.  I mean, all of them have, but he's the one who's changed the most, for the better, both physically and most importantly, emotionally.  As far as my stories go, I like to contract FILA Nick with Forever Nick.  Forever Nick is a goofy, irresponsible teenager.  FILA Nick (which is more today's Nick) is so much more than that.  Truth is that both portrayals are likely somewhat accurate.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2013, 05:47:55 AM »

Okay, here's the question Mare made me think of:

How do your writing preferences differ from your reading preferences?  Is there anything you like to include in your own stories that you don't like to see in other people's, or vice versa?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2013, 05:50:09 AM »

As far as my stories go, I like to contract FILA Nick with Forever Nick.  Forever Nick is a goofy, irresponsible teenager.  FILA Nick (which is more today's Nick) is so much more than that.  Truth is that both portrayals are likely somewhat accurate.

I like reading about both of those versions of Nick.  The older, more mature Nick is more attractive to me, but the younger, more immature version of him tends to entertain me more.

In my own stories, though, I definitely prefer writing older Nick.  I guess that is one example to answer the question I just posed!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #529 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:30 AM »

I think back then, none of them were there for each other. I'm curious to see how that all plays out in the documentary. I can tell you for me, one thing that's different and it has nothing at all to do with age, is a support system.

This is my take on things and it's going to be long! lol

Brian during that time had the undying support of his family. Nick never did. I think that makes a world of difference when forming and understanding relationships. When you come from a very firm background and I love Brian's parents, I wanted his mom to adopt me after meeting her and seeing how warm she was! LOL  But when you have that love and support around you, you also are taught behaviors that otherwise might not come naturally to you.

In that way, I don't know if Nick truly understood how to be a good friend to someone because he probably never experienced it himself through his family. If Nick had heart surgery back then, I could see Brian being by his side, because his parents would tell him to be and would have taught him to always be there for the people you love. Nick's parents, probably would not have been there in the same capacity. Hell, I'm not entirely sure they would have done anything more than turn it into a photo op for Aaron or something!

I think now that Nick is grown and for the first time gets what it feels like to be loved, things would be different. It's a learned behavior. I get it because I know! But I also think sometimes people who have been brought up in a solid family background, it might be hard for them to understand. People like Brian, Kevin and Howie. You can tell they can not relate to Nick at all when it comes to the family things, but your family is what you learn from when you are young. Especially when you're not going to school and your only sense of 'friendship' is the four people you are in a band with and all the sleazy misc people who show up as a result.

In that way, yes I put more on Brian when Nick was going through his rough patch because there's no doubt in my mind that he knew how to be a good friend, but instead he distanced himself from the situation.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #530 on: July 14, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »

^
If I had known so many posts would have showed up between when I started to write this and now I would have quoted Cinzia! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #531 on: July 14, 2013, 06:12:20 AM »

That's an interesting analysis and probably very true.  In defense of Blurry Brian, though, I think you can be supportive of a friend without having to support all the bad decisions your friend is making... and if there's a lot of that happening, sometimes you do need to take a step back to avoid getting caught in the crossfire yourself.  Especially when you're trying to establish yourself as a Christian music artist and your friend is dating Paris Hilton and getting DUIs.  Just saying LOL.

Without knowing what was really going on between the guys behind the scenes during that period, I'm not sure Brian or any of them could have done much to help Nick, other than set a good example.  Nick needed to make his mistakes and learn some life lessons the hard way; that's just part of growing up.  I'm glad he did.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #532 on: July 14, 2013, 06:15:01 AM »

Okay, here's the question Mare made me think of:

How do your writing preferences differ from your reading preferences?  Is there anything you like to include in your own stories that you don't like to see in other people's, or vice versa?

As I mentioned in the other thread, even though I do torture the guys from time to time in my own fics, I don't enjoy reading physical torture scenes in other people's stories to the point that I will actually skim through those or avoid stories about them totally, like all the Death and Slaughtered stories.

I also don't enjoy when the boys die in a bloody, gory way but I don't ever write things like that either lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #533 on: July 14, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »

That's an interesting analysis and probably very true.  In defense of Blurry Brian, though, I think you can be supportive of a friend without having to support all the bad decisions your friend is making... and if there's a lot of that happening, sometimes you do need to take a step back to avoid getting caught in the crossfire yourself.  Especially when you're trying to establish yourself as a Christian music artist and your friend is dating Paris Hilton and getting DUIs.  Just saying LOL.

Without knowing what was really going on between the guys behind the scenes during that period, I'm not sure Brian or any of them could have done much to help Nick, other than set a good example.  Nick needed to make his mistakes and learn some life lessons the hard way; that's just part of growing up.  I'm glad he did.

I agree! I think being blurry was a little ridiculous but everything else you said makes perfect sense. Unfortunately they all have to worry about the spotlight and their own images. Being famous would suck! I would love the money but not all the other crap that comes with it!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »

Honestly my love for Nick waned a lot in the "Dark Ages" because I felt like he was just heading into this bad place and it was really hard to watch as a fan. But it never died out. And ever since he's gotten everything together it's only grown and I'm like yup, justified fandom right here LOL.

Brian, man I was a hard core Brian fan. Even when he tied Nick because he was silly and goofy but not over the top. He was more adorable than anything. I loved him a lot more in the Frick and Frack days. Something I think Howie/Nick has replaced in terms of real life. I think twitter, some of his voice problems, and then Leighanne's insanity has made my love wane a bit. I think a lot of it is her influence but it got to the point where I unfollowed them on twitter because it's better I still think of him as old school/fanfic Brian. I still like writing him with Nick but I wonder at times if my block (which is going away) was partly because of this. I've had a majorly hard time writing him in HWS because I use a lot of "real" stuff and was relieved when I was done with his chapters.

Howie has grown to be hilarious in my eyes. I love him! Like he's really way there's no order beyond Nick anymore in my list of faves. I always adored Kevin as the big brother and it's increased a lot now that he's back. I missed him the entire time he was gone. As for AJ, he frustrates me at times in real life but because of that he's probably why I love writing him as a character LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #535 on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:03 AM »

One thing I love to read is young teenaged Nick.

But I prefer writing current Nick these days.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »

I actually like romance more than I let on, because if you look at all the fanfics I've written, I'd guess at least half of them include a romantic storyline.  I really am a hopeless romantic at heart, and I'm a sucker for sappy stuff.  A lot of my favorite fanfics feature romance as well, but I tend to scroll past the romances on AC.  It takes a lot for me to get sucked into one.  As I said in the confession thread, I need the promise of some medical drama or something more than love triangles and sex scenes.

One of my big hypocrite moments as a writer was with Broken.  I got the idea to write Broken after reading Swollen Issues.  In the second Swollen Issues, they introduced a female character named Julie (not named after me) who I think also had cancer, and when she made her first appearance, I literally groaned and thought, "Ugh, please don't go there and turn this into a cheesy romance."  I liked it the way it was, as a drama about Nick and the Boys.  Luckily, she was only in a few chapters and then sort of disappeared.  But what did I go and do in Broken?  Write in a female character with cancer and give her a romantic storyline with Nick.  Hypocrite!

Other than that, my tastes are pretty similar across the board.  I write the kind of stories I'd like to read, and I get ideas for stories from things that I've enjoyed reading.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2013, 06:34:33 AM »

I will say, I flat out adore romance as a subplot. Because then it's romance when surrounded by all these other horrible challenges. It makes it, I don't know, more romantic. Probably since it's forced to survive despite stuff worse than typical relationship issues.

Case in point?

I adored Claire and Nick.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #538 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:47 AM »

I will say, I flat out adore romance as a subplot. Because then it's romance when surrounded by all these other horrible challenges. It makes it, I don't know, more romantic. Probably since it's forced to survive despite stuff worse than typical relationship issues.

Case in point?

I adored Claire and Nick.

:bighug:

I love our romantic storylines in Undead too.  Further proof of what we both said... we're writing a horror story about the zombie apocalypse, and we're all like, "Ooh, let's have our characters fall in love and make babies so they can repopulate the earth!"  :-*

We are softies deep down LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #539 on: July 14, 2013, 06:38:51 AM »

:bighug:

I love our romantic storylines in Undead too.  Further proof of what we both said... we're writing a horror story about the zombie apocalypse, and we're all like, "Ooh, let's have our characters fall in love and make babies so they can repopulate the earth!"  :-*

We are softies deep down LOL.

Yup and I love our Undead couples too.

LOL so we're softies...once we torture them to hell first. ;D

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50