Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124147 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #600 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »

??? ??? A story like that really exist?

Oh yes, yes it does, and I have it archived!

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/btws60.HTM

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/btws61.HTM

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/btwsep.HTM

Those are the last three chapters, which covers all of the stuff I mentioned.  If you want to read the rest, you can backtrack by changing the chapter number in the URL; the links at the bottom don't work.

I went and found this to read earlier after I posted that and laughed so hard I literally was crying!  My favorite part is when the doctor talks about Brian's injuries from the plane crash:

"Okay…I hate to have to tell you this but…it doesn't look good." The doctor said and Alicia closed her eyes and then opened them again. "I don't know if you knew this, but when the paramedics found him, a big piece of the plane was on top of Brian's chest." The doctor began and I heard a small sob come from Cheryl, almost as if she knew right away what was coming. "I didn't know that." Alicia said, trying hard to fight tears from flowing down her cheeks. "Well, there was. From what I can tell by Brian's x-rays, the piece of plane fell from above and landed on his chest very hard. Because of this, he has a few broken ribs, his chest and stomach are bruised, but those are only the minor things." The nurse said and Alicia put her hands together tightly. "Unfortunately, when the piece of the plane fell on him, it crushed both of his lungs." She said and everyone gasped and Alicia let out a sob. "One isn't all that bad, but the other one is severely damaged and we're not sure at this time if it is repairable." The doctor said and Alicia nodded slowly and put her clasped hands up to her mouth. "In most cases, people can live with only one lung, they are just limited to some things, but I've looked over his records and have noticed he has heart problems." The doctor said and Alicia nodded again and I saw the tears in her eyes. Kelsie suddenly grabbed my hand and held it tight and all I could do was squeeze it back. "Because of his heart problems and the piece of the plane falling on him, his heart is extremely weak…and…" The doctor trailed off and Kevin sat up and looked at the doctor, waiting for the final piece of news. "Well, I don't think he'll make it."

The piece of plane that fell on him and squished his lungs... I don't know why that's so funny to me, but it is!  It so is!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:46:59 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #601 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »

LMAO!!!!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #602 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »

One of Mare's posts in the favorite chapters thread made me think of a new question.  She mentioned she didn't want to reveal the ending to Scars because some people are reading it right now and she didn't want to spoil it.  So here's the question:

At what point do you feel it's okay to give "spoilers" to your stories or talk about specific things that have happened in them in your answers to these questions, without worrying that you're ruining things for potential readers?

I know for me, it has to do with the amount of time that's passed and how much word of mouth the story has gotten.  I am very guarded with the big secrets in my stories and do not give spoilers, but after a certain point, if a certain part has been talked about so much that it's become common knowledge even to people who haven't read the actual story, then I feel like it's not a spoiler anymore.

Song for the Undead is about zombies.  That's obvious now, given the title, but when Rose and I started it, we posted it as "4.15.12" because we did not want people to know it was going to be a zombie story.  We wanted to build the suspense slowly and let them experience it more like the characters did.  Then once we changed the title and banner, it became okay to talk about it being a zombie story.

Nick loses his leg in Broken.  That was a BIG MOMENT in that story, and I wanted it to come as a shock, so I never talked about it to people who hadn't already read it, but over the years, it's become what I'm best known for.  See avy. LOL

Nick dies at the end of Curtain Call.  Again, when I was writing it, I would never have told anyone that was going to happen (except Rose... I think Rose knew), and even afterwards, I didn't want it ruined for potential readers, but it has been talked about it enough that I don't feel like it's a big secret at this point.

On the other hand, I'm still careful about not giving away the twists or the ending of Secrets of the Heart because that is more recent, and not a lot of people have read it.  I was a little worried about Cinzia filling out the survey about it for the reading challenge, but she did a good job being vague. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #603 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

Those are the last three chapters, which covers all of the stuff I mentioned.  If you want to read the rest, you can backtrack by changing the chapter number in the URL; the links at the bottom don't work.

I went and found this to read earlier after I posted that and laughed so hard I literally was crying!  My favorite part is when the doctor talks about Brian's injuries from the plane crash:

"Okay…I hate to have to tell you this but…it doesn't look good." The doctor said and Alicia closed her eyes and then opened them again. "I don't know if you knew this, but when the paramedics found him, a big piece of the plane was on top of Brian's chest." The doctor began and I heard a small sob come from Cheryl, almost as if she knew right away what was coming. "I didn't know that." Alicia said, trying hard to fight tears from flowing down her cheeks. "Well, there was. From what I can tell by Brian's x-rays, the piece of plane fell from above and landed on his chest very hard. Because of this, he has a few broken ribs, his chest and stomach are bruised, but those are only the minor things." The nurse said and Alicia put her hands together tightly. "Unfortunately, when the piece of the plane fell on him, it crushed both of his lungs." She said and everyone gasped and Alicia let out a sob. "One isn't all that bad, but the other one is severely damaged and we're not sure at this time if it is repairable." The doctor said and Alicia nodded slowly and put her clasped hands up to her mouth. "In most cases, people can live with only one lung, they are just limited to some things, but I've looked over his records and have noticed he has heart problems." The doctor said and Alicia nodded again and I saw the tears in her eyes. Kelsie suddenly grabbed my hand and held it tight and all I could do was squeeze it back. "Because of his heart problems and the piece of the plane falling on him, his heart is extremely weak…and…" The doctor trailed off and Kevin sat up and looked at the doctor, waiting for the final piece of news. "Well, I don't think he'll make it."

The piece of plane that fell on him and squished his lungs... I don't know why that's so funny to me, but it is!  It so is!

Oh my Gosh, I'm laughing so much!   :D :D :D :D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #604 on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

Oh, another question from a discussion happening in the confessional thread! LOL

Is there any story of yours that if it was read, you'd be afraid to be judged solely by that story?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #605 on: July 15, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

Describe the plot of the cheesiest story you've ever written (or cheesiest part, if you can't think of a whole story).

I think one of the cheesiest stories I've written was Nick being alone on his birthday until he meets the woman of his dreams on a beach and it was probably love at first sight  :D

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #606 on: July 15, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »

But I have to say I have never had the guys sing anyone into or out of any kind of consciousness so that's something, right?

Thank God for that! Throwing it back to the pet peeves question... nothing drives me more bananas that people breaking into song in fanfics! OMG I will skim right through it because I find it nearly embarrassing.. . for the author LOL

Exception being if it's intended to be a musical (Mare lol)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #607 on: July 15, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

Those are the last three chapters, which covers all of the stuff I mentioned.  If you want to read the rest, you can backtrack by changing the chapter number in the URL; the links at the bottom don't work.

I went and found this to read earlier after I posted that and laughed so hard I literally was crying!  My favorite part is when the doctor talks about Brian's injuries from the plane crash:

The piece of plane that fell on him and squished his lungs... I don't know why that's so funny to me, but it is!  It so is!

OMG I'm dying! Because of his heart problems.... and the piece of plane falling on him... LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #608 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:19 PM »

One of Mare's posts in the favorite chapters thread made me think of a new question.  She mentioned she didn't want to reveal the ending to Scars because some people are reading it right now and she didn't want to spoil it.  So here's the question:

At what point do you feel it's okay to give "spoilers" to your stories or talk about specific things that have happened in them in your answers to these questions, without worrying that you're ruining things for potential readers?

I know for me, it has to do with the amount of time that's passed and how much word of mouth the story has gotten.  I am very guarded with the big secrets in my stories and do not give spoilers, but after a certain point, if a certain part has been talked about so much that it's become common knowledge even to people who haven't read the actual story, then I feel like it's not a spoiler anymore.

Song for the Undead is about zombies.  That's obvious now, given the title, but when Rose and I started it, we posted it as "4.15.12" because we did not want people to know it was going to be a zombie story.  We wanted to build the suspense slowly and let them experience it more like the characters did.  Then once we changed the title and banner, it became okay to talk about it being a zombie story.

Nick loses his leg in Broken.  That was a BIG MOMENT in that story, and I wanted it to come as a shock, so I never talked about it to people who hadn't already read it, but over the years, it's become what I'm best known for.  See avy. LOL

Nick dies at the end of Curtain Call.  Again, when I was writing it, I would never have told anyone that was going to happen (except Rose... I think Rose knew), and even afterwards, I didn't want it ruined for potential readers, but it has been talked about it enough that I don't feel like it's a big secret at this point.

On the other hand, I'm still careful about not giving away the twists or the ending of Secrets of the Heart because that is more recent, and not a lot of people have read it.  I was a little worried about Cinzia filling out the survey about it for the reading challenge, but she did a good job being vague. :)

I need to come back and answer questions but yes, I knew lol. I remember when you were debating on it in the beginning and I was cheering you on into killing him. I'm such a sadist LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #609 on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »

Thank God for that! Throwing it back to the pet peeves question... nothing drives me more bananas that people breaking into song in fanfics! OMG I will skim right through it because I find it nearly embarrassing.. . for the author LOL

Exception being if it's intended to be a musical (Mare lol)

Well in that case you could have just clicked the 'next' button! I did write all the songs in my musical chapter and still no one sang anyone awake! LOL

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #610 on: July 15, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »

Well in that case you could have just clicked the 'next' button! I did write all the songs in my musical chapter and still no one sang anyone awake! LOL

Musical is fine! I loved that story. Musical is it's own genre, it's supposed to have people breaking into song. Reality is though, in most situations it's rare for someone to suddenly start singing a boyband ballad to another person. I have difficulty believing that any of the Boys would choose to randomly sing one of their own songs over using their words. The exception being Nick trying to pick up in a bar... because we've seen that he previously used random singing as a tactic...
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #611 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »

^ I actually can see Brian bursting into a BSB song for no reason at all too. LOL

usako

« Reply #612 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »

^ I actually can see Brian bursting into a BSB song for no reason at all too. LOL
[/quote

Not only a BSB song. Any song. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #613 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

okay time to answer some questions now LOL

What is it about a particular scene or story that makes it your favorite? Is it the subject matter itself of the accomplishment you feel while writing it? Can you name some examples?

I think for me it's a mixture of both, but most of the time it's just the overall good feeling I have when I am able to accomplish what I was hoping for while writing. It's easier for me to talk about stories as a whole instead of separate scenes.

Mel's Tree and Season's of Change are great examples for me because each chapter heading or part has a small segment at the beginning. For Mel's I wanted it all to come together by the end so you could tell it was actually Nick speaking. When I accomplished that I felt really good. Same with Season's. This one was a little different because it wasn't told from everyone's POV like Mels was so instead of breaking the story into parts, I used Nick's final commencement speech as the lines at the beginning of each chapter. I felt like both came full circle and was really proud of the final result. The prologue to Scenes from my Life was something else I felt incredibly proud of because it was the short story that is supposed to start Nick on his career as an author. No one was supposed to know that though until the very end and never mind because I realize I'm talking about the OF and not the fanfic! But same idea. I do have that story posted on the AC site called One Lone Pony Standing in the Snow. I wanted people to think it was Nick but it was actually about his father. i was just proud of the fact that I wrote a story as someone else writing a story about someone else! LMAO

Protect and Serve and it's sequel I loved the characters so much that I felt a connection to them. In that way, when it was all done I felt a sense of pride and a little melancholy.

If I feel like I was able to take my readers full circle, then I feel good and I think most of them have done that.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #614 on: July 15, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »

It really depends for me. I don't like to give away too much either because so many of my stories revolve around plot twists etc... I think after a few years it's okay and like you said about the choppage thing, Julie! For the more popular stories, it's kind of hard to keep things a secret. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the word MINE is carved into Nick's skin but that was never the reveal, the big reveal was who did it and when talking about the MINE still, not many people reveal who it actually was.

All my old old stuff, I don't really mind talking about it and letting people know the end result like what I just said about my Mel's stories. Now it's fair game but maybe 7 years ago not so much!

it's weird because for stories like Protect and Serve, Thirteenth Step, Shadow Woods, I will occasionally get new readers so I tend to not say too much about them. Same with the most recent ones What Lurks and Whatever the Night although I'm pretty sure the big reveal was revealed a few times for the last one. I noticed though, no matter how much we might talk about things, people are always still surprised when it actually happens which is odd to me! I want to say, wait weren't you actually involved in the discussion where I mentioned that was going to happen on the AC board? LOL
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50