Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124138 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #630 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »

On AC, go into your Account Info and Reviews Received and look at your stats.  What is your highest-reviewed story?  How about your lowest-reviewed?  Why do you think these two stories got the amount of reviews they did?

My highest review count is for Ten Things (286) and the lowest is a Take That one-shot with no reviews, which is hardly shocking on a BSB site lol.  I think Ten Things probably got reviews because it's a light hearted romance.

usako

« Reply #631 on: July 16, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »

On AC, go into your Account Info and Reviews Received and look at your stats.  What is your highest-reviewed story?  How about your lowest-reviewed?  Why do you think these two stories got the amount of reviews they did?

My highest-reviewed story is "Love Story" with 61 reviews while the lowest is "Us Against The World" with only two. I think for the first it's because Tracy is reading it for the summer challange as for the latter, I guess it's a combination of being a new author and the fact that it's slash.

Is there any story of yours that if it was read, you'd be afraid to be judged solely by that story?

I'm afraid about being judged and made fun of every story that I post. Actually, for the longest time I only lurked here because I was afraid of speaking and it isn't only related to the language obstacle but also because I've been made fun of for a lot of years so it's a little bit hard to get past it.
Still, as many have said, I'm really self - conscious about my writing. I still can't believe that someone can love my stories or my writing, most of the time I think that they are only a bunch of crap ideas. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #632 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:40 AM »

Aww, I'm glad you started posting here, Cinzia!  You and Emily both.  Before you guys showed up on the forum, it was just the same old people who always posted - not that I don't love the old "clique" (as we've been called) too, but it's nice to get some fresh perspectives on here!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #633 on: July 16, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »

Aww, I'm glad you started posting here, Cinzia!  You and Emily both.  Before you guys showed up on the forum, it was just the same old people who always posted - not that I don't love the old "clique" (as we've been called) too, but it's nice to get some fresh perspectives on here!

I'm glad too. And not only because talking and discussing is a great exercise for my English.  :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #634 on: July 16, 2013, 02:43:34 AM »

Seriously! I love new blood and its good to see it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #635 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:08 AM »

^ Aww, you don't need to worry about being judged here.  You're a talented writer!  I wish you'd write more often and post it, but I'm glad to see you participating so much in these threads lately.  That's a start! :)

I do understand, though.  That's how I feel about people in real life reading my writing.  I am not really like that around you all, but once in awhile I do write something that I'm nervous about posting for just that reason.  And I have discovered through meeting online friends in real life that I do not like to talk about my stories in real life.  It doesn't matter how much I've talked about them with those same people online; it's still awkward face to face!

I am the same exact way! When Mels came out, I really tanked on promoting it. I almost get embarrassed when I'm asked about it and what its about or when people ask me to sign it. I just don't have it in me to plug it. I tend to give it away to people instead of telling people to buy my book! I get jealous when I see how easy it is for people to shamelessly plug their stuff! I just can't! LOL another weird thing is reviews. For fanfic, I'm all about reading my reviews but when I got my first reviews for the book it took me forever before I was able to go read them because I was so nervous!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #636 on: July 16, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »

In a way this sort of belongs in the confessional but to be honest, judgement from my peers is a big point of stress for me.

I couldn't care less about knowing that hundreds of thousands of people could potentially be listening to my voice on the radio, if I knew someone I respected was listening I would be SO nervous.

It's the same way with my fics. I have mad respect for all of you. Especially since I don't have a lot of confidence in my own writing. That being said, it terrifies me to even know that any of you have read my stories lol Posting them online was such a leap, having people read them gives me a nervous stomach. I'd prefer not to be judged at all LOL but especially not for anything I wrote between 1999 and 2004.

I wish there was some kind of pill I could give you to let you see how incredibly great of a writer you are. Maybe one day you'll figure it out.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #637 on: July 16, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »

My highest reviewed novel is Why I'd Do It All Again and I'm not sure why lol Maybe because it was told from all points of view so people who are normally turned off of Nick centered fics or suspense/action felt like they could read this one. This is also one of my longest novels which would explain the higher than usual count as well.

My lowest was a Supernatural one shot that I wrote, which is a no brainer right there lol

Many factors go into the number of reviews people have which is why I don't judge a story by the amount of reviews and instead by the depth of them. (mine and other peoples as well) For me personally, I consider my story a success and not a waste of my posting time as long as I have the number of chapters x3. Of course the longer the story the more reviews will be received. Also sometimes people use the review function to have a conversation about their stories in which case the count will go even higher. I had 7 reviews for a story of mine that wasn't even a story! LOL

One other thing I want people to take into consideration is that this site didn't always offer the option of leaving a review after every chapter so older stories may not have a high count on the site. I know I got a ton of reviews for my biblical trilogy, not sure if it would be Why Id' do it All Again high, but it was up there, but if we went by this site, the reviews averaged about 7 to 10 I think?

So for those of you that do not get many reviews, if any, don't be too discouraged by the higher review counts.

Anyway, going by my own criteria only two of my stories didn't exceed my expectations and that was the Supernatural story and my original fics collection. Both had less reviews than number of chapters posted x 3. LOL I a, so Rain man!

Which leads me to another question: Do you base the number of reviews a story has (yours or someone else's) on how good or bad it must be?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #638 on: July 16, 2013, 05:42:29 AM »

Do you base the number of reviews a story has (yours or someone else's) on how good or bad it must be?

Nope.  I don't pay much attention to how many reviews other people's stories have, and as far as my own go, I can usually understand why they got the number of reviews they did.  I know that my Nick stories are generally going to get more reviews per chapter than my stories about the other guys because Nick just tends to attract a larger audience.  Along the same lines, an AU is usually not going to get as many reviews as a non-AU.

Longer stories mean more reviews, as long as the chapters are posted one at a time.  Post more than one chapter at a time, and some people will only review once for the whole update.  That's why, of my older stories that I put on AC after they had been finished on my site for awhile, the ones that I posted all at one time only have a few reviews, while the ones that I posted a few chapters at a time have more.  Broken was really popular on my site, but doesn't even average one review per chapter on AC because I didn't post it here until it had been finished on my site for over a year, so most people had already read it there.  By My Side was the same way; I always posted chapters on my site before I added them to AC, so most people who were following it read them there first and emailed me with feedback instead of leaving a review.

Like Mare, I always hope to average a few reviews per chapter, but I know that for some stories it's going to be slightly more, and some it's going to be less, and that's just how it is.  I don't go, "Wow, this story must suck!" if it gets less than 3 reviews per chapter... unless it really does suck LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #639 on: July 16, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »

Do you base the number of reviews a story has (yours or someone else's) on how good or bad it must be?

I don't really care about the number of reviews another story has.

Given that I don't get too many reviews, when I receive more than average, well, I like to think it's because the story is really good.  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #640 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:26 AM »

I don't base the number of reviews on how good or bad my story or someone else's is either. Like I admitted in the confession thread, I do look at other people's reviews but that's more to decide if I want to read it or not. If a story has no reviews, I wont skip it or anything. If it sounds like something I'd like to read, I'll try it out.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #641 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

Since Rose is starting up a new awards.

Do you let awards influence what you read? If you had a choice between reading something that had no awards and something that did would you choose based on that? How important is it for your stories to win awards or does it not matter one way or the other?

usako

« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »

Since Rose is starting up a new awards.

Do you let awards influence what you read? If you had a choice between reading something that had no awards and something that did would you choose based on that? How important is it for your stories to win awards or does it not matter one way or the other?

I don't let awards influence what I read. Or, better say, they don't influence my liking on the story. I think, in the end, depends on the summary of the story. I probably will read both, especially the one with award just out of curiosity.
I've never won an award so I guess it's not really that important. I'll be happy and proud if it happens, of course.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #643 on: July 16, 2013, 11:50:47 AM »

No not really.  If a story of mine had hardly any reviews, I'd put it down to it not being something people like, although I might feel a little disappointed that no one liked it.  But as long as I enjoyed writing it, it wouldn't be a total waste of time.

As for other people's stories, I don't let review count decide whether it's good or bad.  I've read stories with hardly any reviews and loved them, but I've also come across stories with loads of reviews and not enjoyed them at all.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #644 on: July 16, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »

Awards are fun and it's always nice to be nominated or win one, but it's not the end of the world if I don't get one.

If a story won an award, I'd take a look out of curiosity, but I've also read many good stories which have no awards at all.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50