Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124151 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #660 on: July 17, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »

What's your process for planning a story?  Do you know what will happen in the beginning, middle, and end of the story before you start writing it?  How about in each chapter?  Do you do any kind of outlining or just fly by the seat of your pants?  If you do outline, what does that look like for you?  Do you ever write scenes in advance or visualize them in your mind?  Do you change your mind often, or do you usually stick to your plans?  Does the way you plan vary from story to story?  Lots of questions, but they all go together - just describe your process!

I usually start with a situation that's going to be the basis of the whole story and work my way out from there.  I figure out how my characters will get into that situation (the beginning) and where it will lead them (the middle), and how it will turn out (the end).  I won't start writing without a beginning, and I usually know pretty early on how the story's going to end.  The middle I tend to make up more as I go, leaving myself room to be flexible and change my mind.  I just need to have a clear idea of where it's all going before I get too far into it.

I don't start a new chapter without knowing what it will be about, but I also don't plan out chapters in a beginning/middle/end way.  I just start writing with a goal in mind of what I want to happen in the chapter and let it pan out however it pans out.  Sometimes it turns out a lot different from what I had in mind, but that's okay.

As far as the overall story goes, I am definitely an outliner.  I don't outline one-shots, but I have had some kind of outline for every novel I've written since You'll Never Walk Alone back in 2002.  My outlines take different forms depending on the story and whether or not I have co-writers, but for my individual stories, they are usually more like timelines.  I list the major events of the story in the order they happen and keep track of WHEN they happen.  I can always tell you when my stories are taking place, sometimes right down to the specific date, other times just the month.  I started doing it this way with Broken and have found it helpful mainly for my medical dramas (which would be a lot of my stories LOL).  The only stories I've actually outlined chapter by chapter or scene by scene are Secrets of the Heart and some of my collaborations (Song for the Undead, 00Carter, Code Blue).  My outlines typically also include information on my characters to help me stay consistent and sometimes bits of research that I want to remember to help me in my planning.  Some of them get pretty long; my BMS outline has 24 pages LOL.

I do a lot of visualizing of scenes in my mind, but I rarely, if ever, actually write them in advance.  Once in awhile I will type up good lines in my outline if I want to remember them, but that's about as far as I go.  I prefer to write the story in order so that I can make sure all the scenes flow together.  If I write a scene from the middle before I've written all the scenes leading up to it, I'm worried it won't fit by the time I work my way up to it, and although I enjoy editing, I hate making major revisions.

Sometimes I do change my mind about small things, but I usually don't stray too far from my original idea, especially when it comes to the major events of the story.  The exception would be if I realize something I originally wanted to do won't work and have to rework the idea... and that is when writer's block tends to kick in for me.  That's why I find it helpful to make an outline early on in the writing process so I can see the major events of the story laid out in order and make sure they all fit together in a way that makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:57:59 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #661 on: July 17, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »

Thanks for the mention, Steph!

Oreos is one of the stories I never tried because it seemed like something I wouldn't enjoy. So many people gushed over it though lol

Keeping in mind, of course, that "everyone" was 16-20 yrs old at the time Oreos began lol it's like loving Saved By The Bell, when you watch it as an adult you're like "wtf I liked this show?" I'm certain a good chunk of the Oreos fans have more refined tastes these days! (Hopefully anyway)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #662 on: July 17, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »

Keeping in mind, of course, that "everyone" was 16-20 yrs old at the time Oreos began lol it's like loving Saved By The Bell, when you watch it as an adult you're like "wtf I liked this show?" I'm certain a good chunk of the Oreos fans have more refined tastes these days! (Hopefully anyway)

I wish I could agree with you there but I'm not too sure about that lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #663 on: July 17, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »

I wish I could agree with you there but I'm not too sure about that lol

A girl can dream, can't she? :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #664 on: July 17, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »

A girl can dream, can't she? :P

That she can! :) lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #665 on: July 18, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »

How do you feel about the warnings you can put on your stories on AC?  Do you always add every warning that applies to your story?  Do you ever worry that by posting warnings, you're giving away spoilers?  Do you look at the warnings in other people's stories before you decide whether or not to read them, and if so, do they affect your decision?  Is there anything, warning-wise, that you won't read?
~Julie

usako

« Reply #666 on: July 18, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »

Do you look at the warnings in other people's stories before you decide whether or not to read them, and if so, do they affect your decision?  Is there anything, warning-wise, that you won't read?

The warnings doesn't really affect my decision whether to read or not a story. There is nothing that I won't read, I think I've pratically read every type of story with the weirdest warning. But, of course, if there are twostories and one of them has the warning of slash, there's no doubt which one I'm going to read first. (and even here depends on the author and the couple.) In the end it's more a combination of factors than only one.

How do you feel about the warnings you can put on your stories on AC?  Do you always add every warning that applies to your story?  Do you ever worry that by posting warnings, you're giving away spoilers? 

I'll try to be the safer possible so I kinda put any warnings possible. Warnings are useful and people should really need to use them: if you don't like it, don't come and cry about the story because there was a big giant warning at the beginning of the story. Lesson learned, I guess.  :D :D

And yes, I do worry about giving away spoilers. For example, if you put "Character Death", well, you're pretty much giving away the fact that someone is going to die, even though it could be a minor character.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #667 on: July 18, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

How do you feel about the warnings you can put on your stories on AC?  Do you always add every warning that applies to your story?  Do you ever worry that by posting warnings, you're giving away spoilers?  Do you look at the warnings in other people's stories before you decide whether or not to read them, and if so, do they affect your decision?  Is there anything, warning-wise, that you won't read?

I think warnings on stories are a good thing, they can help people decide whether it's the kind of story for them.  For instance, if you only want to read a nice fluffy romance, you aren't going to click on a story with a violence, death, graphic sex warning are you? LOL.

I don't really look at warnings as nothing is off limits...excep t slash, but since I've read Julie's Nick/Howie slash story, I guess even that isn't off limits now :D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #668 on: July 18, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »

To be completely honest I never look at warnings ever. I forget they're even there so I never factor them into what I am going to read. The only way I even know if it's pg13 is because you have to click that box that says okay before you go on.  lol

I admit that because I tend to not look at them, when it comes to my stuff I don't really put as much emphasis on them as I should. I tend to ignore the death, etc... ones? (See I can't even tell you what they are FAIL) I do at least try to do the mature one if I feel like it needs it but the others I tend to not worry about too much.

I concentrate more on the genre and who it's about.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #669 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »

I like the warnings better than the ratings ...G, PG and so on.  I am in my phone so answer is short.  I miss being able to log in at work. I am hardly on the computer at home.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #670 on: July 18, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »

Aw Lore, I can't log in at work either, it's just too busy :(

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #671 on: July 18, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »

And yes, I do worry about giving away spoilers. For example, if you put "Character Death", well, you're pretty much giving away the fact that someone is going to die, even though it could be a minor character.

That is the one I have the biggest problem with for just that reason!!  I tend to only check it if there are going to be multiple character deaths, so that even if the reader knows going in that someone's going to die, it's not obvious who.  I checked it for Secrets of the Heart because I knew I was going to kill off several characters, but I did not check it for Curtain Call because then everyone would have known right away that Nick was a goner LOL.

I don't mind the other warnings; like Steph said, they're a good way to let people know if your story's going to contain something they're not comfortable with, like graphic violence or sex (especially for younger readers).  But the ratings kind of serve the same purpose; they're just more general.  Like if something's rated R, you can assume it's because there's violence or sex or just inappropriate language.

I rarely even look at the ratings or warnings when I'm looking for something to read.  I'm not easily offended, so there's really nothing that's off-limits to me.  If it sounds like a good story, I'll read it no matter what it's rated.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #672 on: July 18, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »

What Julie posted awhile ago with the plane falling on someone and crushing his kidneys is the reason for these questions lol

I thought this might be fun. Answer with your OWN stories! lol

Craziest storyline?

The dumbest plot?

The most unique?

Weirdest name for a character?

Biggest inaccuracy?

Stupidest Title?

Something you wish you could take back?

Story you cringe when you find out someone has read it?

Story you'd wish everyone would read already!

Most impulsive story?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #673 on: July 18, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

Haha, I love this!  I will be back to answer it when I'm not brain dead.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #674 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »

I will be back to answer soon but I'll add in a question since on TDS someone tried to throw my fanfic at me like I should be ashamed or something...

Has anyone (online) tried to make you feel embarrassed/ashamed of writing fanfic? Why did you feel that way if it worked?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50