Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90854 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

We may have had a question like this before, but just to give us all a boost...

What's the best plot you've come up with, one that's so good you can't even believe you came up with it yourself?  We've all got them - time to get past the insecurities and brag a little about what we do best!

Well, I wouldn't say they are amazing plots, but I did love Save A Prayer and Rewind and I think I'm probably most proud of them.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 04:24:12 PM »

I'm glad that you don't say things that you don't mean, I had that happen, I asked for someone's Genuine opinion on a story one time, they praised me and then when we stopped being friends I heard my work called shitty. f someone doesn't want to read,  I would rather them be honest than fake about it.

I believe I know who you are talking about, and here's my take on that:  When a person only cares about herself and getting praise for her stories and visitors to her website, she'll say anything to make people like her... and then turn on them just as quickly when they do or say something she doesn't like, because it's all about her, not them.  People resort to bullying and name-calling because they don't feel very good about themselves and want to give themselves a boost by stepping on someone else, and that is exactly what she tried to do to you.  I'm glad you were able to see through her fakeness.  You are not a shitty writer.  She is just a shitty person.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »

I don't have a lot to choose from at the moment, but I'm pretty proud of Falling in Love Again.  Plotwise, I think it was pretty original for a romance.  I've been pretty excited about a new story I'm working on, but the more I think about it, the more I doubt myself.  Eh-- we'll see.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »

I have read something by almost everyone on here as well, I believe. At least people who have posted in this thread and I have to agree with Julie, I think you're all great writers and I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it either.

I also wanted to add that most likely when you were told it was good, that was the more genuine answer. It's far easier to hurt someone than praise them, especially after a fight. So chances are, that was said to just be flat out mean more so than honest.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

It really hurt my feelings and you're totally right. I don't like that. I think back and realized a lot of stuff, glad I am out of that situation. It affected me because I haven't been able to write anything new since that which is lame. I shouldn't let it get to me but I wish people would realize words can and do hurt.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »

I'm glad that you don't say things that you don't mean, I had that happen, I asked for someone's Genuine opinion on a story one time, they praised me and then when we stopped being friends I heard my work called shitty. f someone doesn't want to read,  I would rather them be honest than fake about it.

Exactly! I would rather someone didn't read my stuff instead of giving fake praise.  If someone wanted my honest opinion, I would give it in the best possible way, no need for nastiness.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »

It really hurt my feelings and you're totally right. I don't like that. I think back and realized a lot of stuff, glad I am out of that situation. It affected me because I haven't been able to write anything new since that which is lame. I shouldn't let it get to me but I wish people would realize words can and do hurt.

Especially people who have been hurt by words themselves.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, etc.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »

I'm proud of most of my stories that have a lot of plot twists. It's hard to really name one, but I'd say What Lurks, Shadow Woods, Protect and Serve, Scars and Whatever the Night May Bring were all pretty original and creative.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

That's how I feel too.  I think the plot I'm most proud of is Secrets of the Heart because even though it's one of my shorter novels, it has one of my more intricate plots, and I know how much work went into piecing it together.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »

I think writing stories with plot twists are so hard but also so damn rewarding, especially when you have that moment where people say, "Holy shit! I did NOT see that coming!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »

Yep!  Exactly!
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

This thread is straight up gooey, sticky, mushiness you guys. There's some serious group hug moments. D'aww! <3
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »

What was the biggest obstacle you've ever encountered while writing a fanfic and how did you overcome it?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »

What was the biggest obstacle you've ever encountered while writing a fanfic and how did you overcome it?

Stopping and letting years go by.

You guys are usually the ones who help me overcome it. With H&H I thought I wouldn't be able to pick it back up but I got so much encouragement that I forced myself to sit down and figure it out. I'm back in that position now but again the support from everyone here is helpful in making me realize that it's only as challenging as I make it!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »

Stopping and letting years go by.

You guys are usually the ones who help me overcome it. With H&H I thought I wouldn't be able to pick it back up but I got so much encouragement that I forced myself to sit down and figure it out. I'm back in that position now but again the support from everyone here is helpful in making me realize that it's only as challenging as I make it!

Amen sista! LOL
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36