Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90871 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »

I don't mind the idea of a disability trend lol. More torture for the Boys though I'd sift through till I found the good ones.

Do you feel like you ever started your own trend? Or written something unique to the fandom that had never been done prior to yours?

Honestly I feel like I'm tooting my own horn but I'm trying not to, in saying I think I did this twice. The first time was with Julie, When "Song For The Undead" started getting popular we saw a couple zombie fics (though they didn't last long) pop up afterwards. It was a little annoying in a sense but flattering at the same time. Because zombie stories aren't unique in general obviously but you don't ever see them in this fandom.

As for something unique, it didn't start a trend (not sure it could lol), but I feel I did that with "Remember Me This Way". No one had ever considered giving one of the Boys something like Early Onset Alzheimer's to strike in the prime the way I did. That's actually part of what scared me when I wrote the chapter revealing it. Because it was definitely brand new to the fandom. I'm proud of myself for not only coming up with it but doing my best to tackle my nerves when I wrote that story.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »

Since a lot of ye have listened to the new album already and the rest of us will be soon, I have a question about that.

When a new album comes out, do ye find yerself getting inspired by the new music and developing story ideas based on the new songs or wanting to incorporate them into yer current ones?

Sometimes.   I don't write many songfics, but several of the songs on Never Gone inspired ideas for By My Side, which I was writing at the time.  I probably should have exerted a bit more self-control when it came to actually using them, but it is what it is LOL.

I tend to go the opposite way and come up with an idea first, then find a song that fits it to use for a title or just to set the mood while I'm writing.  I did that most recently with Unsuspecting Sunday.  The song Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon didn't inspire the story, but when I was trying to think of a title, I thought of that song, and the lyrics fit surprisingly well, so I went with it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »

So the drama whore in me couldn't help but notice there are at least three stories on the Most Recent page right now which have Backstreet Boys in wheelchairs (or who probably will be in wheelchairs once they wake up from their comas... and in that case, make it four!), and I wondered if this is the start of a new trend or something.  What do ye think?  Are ye on board for a disability fic trend?

What are some other trends ye remember from yer years of reading, and which were yer favorites?

I am totally on board for a disability fic trend because 1) it's angsty, and 2) it's different from what's usually on the Most Recent page.  Like Mare said, it is something that has to be done well, and I have read that storyline done well, but that's not to say I wouldn't want to read another if it were well-written.

Other trends I remember...  When I started reading fanfics in 1999, it was all girl band stories and stories about Brian's heart.  I read tons of those!  I also remember several stories about Nick either having an eating disorder or being on drugs around the turn of the century.  Then came the bus/car crash stories and kidnapping/hostage stories, and that was a great era.  The solo female opening act storyline has always been another popular one and probably got even more popular as pop music changed and the girlband stories died down.

There was also a time in maybe the mid-2000s when vampire stories were really big.  Weirdly enough, that was pre-Twilight.  I haven't seen many of those lately.  I guess we were ahead of the times on that one!

Slash and visuals seemed to be bigger back in the day than they are now, and I remember the fetishy era Mare was talking about, too.

The last couple of years, it's seemed like stories about fictional relatives/children have been big on AC.  Like all trends, this stuff must go around in circles because the long-lost sister storyline was another popular one I remember from the early days, as was the love child the Backstreet Boy didn't even know he had fathered until it was left on his doorstep storyline.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »

Do you feel like you ever started your own trend? Or written something unique to the fandom that had never been done prior to yours?

I don't think I've ever started my own trend.  I have definitely followed some of the ones I mentioned - heart problems, bus crashes, car crashes, kidnappings, girlbands, solo acts.  I even have a vampire story, a slash, and a long-list sibling story, so I've pretty much done it all!  Maybe I should jump on this wheelchair bandwagon because that is one thing I have actually never done, permanently paralyze a Backstreet Boy.  I gave AJ a spinal cord injury in my bus crash story back in the day, but he got better. LOL

The only thing I've written that was truly unique at the time was, as Rose said, Song for the Undead.  As far as I know, no one had done a zombie story in our fandom before that one.  I know there has been at least one since, but that's not exactly starting a trend.  Still, it's nice to know we were the first, especially since zombies are so big right now.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »

As for something unique, it didn't start a trend (not sure it could lol), but I feel I did that with "Remember Me This Way".

Wouldn't that be funny if it HAD started a trend?  LOL!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

But, would anyone remember if it did?

*walks out of thread naked*
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »

LOL
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »

Limb choppage, Julie.  That one's all yours. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »

Limb choppage, Julie.  That one's all yours. lol

I appreciate that :), but I was actually not the first one to do that!  I remember one story that I started reading before Broken where Nick lost a leg... I think it was from a car accident, not cancer, but I can't remember for sure.  It was discontinued after a few chapters and isn't online anymore, so it was not very memorable, but it did exist.  But since it doesn't exist online anymore, I will continue to wear my crown as Choppage Queen LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »

Wouldn't that be funny if it HAD started a trend?  LOL!

That would've been really funny lol.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »

I definitely have not started any trends. I've jumped on the bandwagon for some of those trends, like the kidnapping stories etc... But I never was the cause of one. I do think I write pretty unique stories though?

One thing I might take credit for is not so much a plot, but a style. I'm pretty sure that I was the first person to write in all 5 BSB's points of view for an entire story. I mean I have seen plenty of first person stories & a ton told in 2 or 3 POVs but never all five maintained throughout the entire novel. Since then, there have been a few that have popped up but I would like to think I started that. Who knows though? It's not like I've read every BSB fanfic known to man. lol

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:08:58 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2013, 06:25:02 AM »

If you could only use one word to describe yourself as a fanfic writer, what would it be?

What about one word to describe other fanfic writers?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2013, 06:39:50 AM »

If you could only use one word to describe yourself as a fanfic writer, what would it be?

What about one word to describe other fanfic writers?

I have NO idea lol.

Probably... Crazy? Cause sometimes I have some insane ideas of what to do to those Boys.

Julie - Rainbow. Because she's basically all the colors. She can be any type of writer if she wants to be and she's proven it again and again. I guess Versatile is a better word but it's as close to DRATW as I could get lol.

Mare - Cliffies. You are the QUEEN of this Mare and part of me hates you, part of me loves you, and part of me is so jealous that you're so good at that!

I'll add more when it's not 4am  lol.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »

I think I would describe myself as spontaneous... .cause I can be pretty damn random when I want to be when it comes to writing. I have written so many different genres and plots it's like "What do I do now?"

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure my 1D/BSB crossover was unique to the fandom. Unfortunately it didn't start a trend lol because I could definitely live with more stories like that!

What are some other trends ye remember from yer years of reading, and which were yer favorites?

Julie pretty much named all of the ones I remember, but back in the day my favourite was definitely the girl band one. I shamelessly used that one multiple times, with the same characters (my friends and I the members of the band, obvs) and read tons of stories centered around that plot. The more soap-operatic the better, LOL!

When a new album comes out, do ye find yerself getting inspired by the new music and developing story ideas based on the new songs or wanting to incorporate them into yer current ones?
I did this with Unbreakable, and that's actually how I ended up getting back into fanfic and finding AC. I usually end up coming up with at least some ideas for one-shots based around new songs. I'm seriously hoping that will happen again when the album comes out on Tuesday.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36