Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90880 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »

I don't think there are any names that make me say ugh! But once again, I usually stay far away from stories that have that potential anyway LOL I do hate the trendy spellings of things instead of the traditional ones!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »

I wished Aaron would go away from Swollen Issues too!  I think that was the third one; he was in it a lot.  I am not a big fan of having the family members around either, although sometimes it's unavoidable if you're trying to keep it realistic.  I literally cannot write Jane Carter without taking her to Crazytown (which is really not so far from reality, sadly), so I try to avoid writing her at all costs these days.

Exactly. Sometimes you need them in there. It made sense that Aaron was there and Jane to for a brief time, I just wanted them to go away after a chapter or two! LOL

I really don't mind when the family members pop up in stories as long as they don't make themselves too comfortable. I'd be that person who was secretly trying to find them a hotel room instead of letting them stay with me! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »

LOL!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »

Have you ever been so turned off by something in a story that had nothing to do with the actual storyline or writing style that you stopped reading or at least thought about stopping?  Feel free to share specific examples of little things that have annoyed you like that, as long as you're not going to hurt anyone's feelings!

Bad spelling. Literally. Bad spelling. It doesn't take too much to use Google and still, in the Italian fandom, there are so many bad spelling of names (Bryan.  ??? ??? ??? How can you mistake one of the BSB's name? How?), cities... that I can't keep on reading.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »

Misspelling one of the Boys' names is the worst!!!  I see it most often with Brian's last name; a lot of people only put one L at the end.  Even Howie did it the other day on Twitter!!!

A lot of people used to misspell Millennium back in the day and only put one N.  The reason I know that Millennium has 2 Ns is because IT'S THE NAME OF THEIR ALBUM, so I LEARNED HOW TO FREAKING SPELL IT!  No excuse!  And don't even get me started on "Don't Wanna LOOSE You Now."  I am so fanatical about that one, I made a freaking avatar about it!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »

Misspelling one of the Boys' names is the worst!!!  I see it most often with Brian's last name; a lot of people only put one L at the end.  Even Howie did it the other day on Twitter!!!

A lot of people used to misspell Millennium back in the day and only put one N.  The reason I know that Millennium has 2 Ns is because IT'S THE NAME OF THEIR ALBUM, so I LEARNED HOW TO FREAKING SPELL IT!  No excuse!  And don't even get me started on "Don't Wanna LOOSE You Now."  I am so fanatical about that one, I made a freaking avatar about it!

"Don't wanna loose you now" aka how to transform an angst song into a fun one. LOL

Everytime I see one misspell I so want to reply: "There is this little thing, it's called Google. It's not bad, it doesn't bite you. Even Nick used it! Don't be afraid!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »

Right!  There's no excuse.  If you're not a good speller, look it up!  It's just laziness.  I am a pretty good speller, but I google stuff all the time to double check.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »

We should start a campaign. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »

LOL What should we call it?

"Don't Wanna LOSE a Limb?  Learn How to Spell, or Julie Will LOSE Her Freaking Mind and Chop Off All Your Phalanges!  Don't Know What That Means?  LOOK IT UP!"

There's my suggestion.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »

LOL What should we call it?

"Don't Wanna LOSE a Limb?  Learn How to Spell, or Julie Will LOSE Her Freaking Mind and Chop Off All Your Phalanges!  Don't Know What That Means?  LOOK IT UP!"

There's my suggestion.

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Or: "Save a little poor Google from being jobless. Use him and you will make the world a better place."

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »

LOL Aww, poor little underutilized Google!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »

Adopt a Google!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »

That's the first time I have ever been told I was "damn good" I  really flattered by that compliment so thank you!!!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »

It wasn't a fanfic but I just read a book where the girl was sent to the "principle" noooooo.... principle/principal is becoming a major pert peeve of mine. Oh and by read I mean I stopped after that and never really started it again.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

Oh, I think "Don't Wanna Loose You Now" would have sent me over the edge.  I've gotta agree with everyone on here and say that bad grammar is definitely going to make me stop reading!  Now, if the writing is good and the story is good, I can handle an error here and there, but using the same type of snafu over and over...forget it!  The ones that get to me the most are your/you're (sorry, Nick!- there may be a grammar lesson coming soon for you in one of my stories...lol), there/their/they're, and ick- principal/principle would definitely get to me too!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36