Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90881 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #390 on: August 06, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »

LMAO!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »

Speaking of Brian and his bloody head, Mare's post about One Phone Call in the new music thread...

You know my twisted self has figured out a way to listen to One Phone Call without skipping it and that's all thanks to Brian and his line about carrying her head on his shoulders! It's clear he has decapitated someone and now he's in jail because of it and now he needs his one phone call! He wants her to come home but she can't because he hacked her to bits. LOL

...gave me an idea for a new question.

Do you associate any other BSB songs with some twisted underlying meaning, either because of a fanfic or because you, yourself, are twisted and deeply disturbed?

I don't have any as twisted as Mare's, but fanfic (usually my own) has warped a lot of good BSB songs for me!  Pretty much any song that I have used or referenced in a story, I now associate with that story.  I used some lyrics from My Beautiful Woman in BMS not long after that song leaked back in the summer of 2004, and ever since then, I cannot listen to it without thinking of poor one-legged Broken Nick LOL.  Along the same lines, Just Want You To Know now makes me think of dead Nick instead of Sphynkter, and Hologram and I'm Taking Off (actually, a lot of Nick's album) I also associate with Curtain Call.  Burning Up makes me think of Nick literally burning up in the recording studio cause of that one death I wrote for 1000 Ways.  In Pieces makes me think of severed Backstreet Boy body parts, Song for the Unloved makes me think of zombies, and, of course, Don't Wanna Lose You Now makes me think of comas! LOL
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:41:18 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »

Speaking of Brian and his bloody head, Mare's post about One Phone Call in the new music thread...

...gave me an idea for a new question.

Do you associate any other BSB songs with some twisted underlying meaning, either because of a fanfic or because you, yourself, are twisted and deeply disturbed?

I don't have any as twisted as Mare's, but fanfic (usually my own) has warped a lot of good BSB songs for me!  Pretty much any song that I have used or referenced in a story, I now associate with that story.  I used some lyrics from My Beautiful Woman in BMS not long after that song leaked back in the summer of 2004, and ever since then, I cannot listen to it without thinking of poor one-legged Broken Nick LOL.  Along the same lines, Just Want You To Know now makes me think of dead Nick instead of Sphynkter, and Hologram and I'm Taking Off (actually, a lot of Nick's album) I also associate with Curtain Call.  Burning Up makes me think of Nick literally burning up in the recording studio cause of that one death I wrote for 1000 Ways.  In Pieces makes me think of severed Backstreet Boy body parts, Song for the Unloved makes me think of zombies, and, of course, Don't Wanna Lose You Now makes me think of comas! LOL

HEY!! I resemble that remark! Um...I mean resent! I resent that remark! It's not me that's twisted, it's Howie. He's the one that wrote Brian carrying around random heads on his shoulders!

As far as answering your question. I don't think I've actually ever done that with any of their other songs. lol Well there was the scissors one aka This Is Us! Whenever I hear it I picture them all sitting around a table and cutting paper.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »

In case you haven't heard, "Back To Your Heart" is about me-- or at least my self-insert fanfic character alter ego.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »

In case you haven't heard, "Back To Your Heart" is about me-- or at least my self-insert fanfic character alter ego.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »

I used "Just One Kiss" in a story, and had Nick using it as a pick-up line.  I also like to use songs as story titles.  Even if they don't make an appearance in the stories themselves, they might have some sort of relation to the story line, and not just with song fics.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #396 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »

Well there was the scissors one aka This Is Us! Whenever I hear it I picture them all sitting around a table and cutting paper.

LOL!!

I like to sing the chorus of This Is Us with a lisp.  It amuses me.  "Thith ith uth, thith ith uth, thith ith uth, thith ith uth, thith ith love, thith ith love..."  Try it, it's fun!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #397 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »

LOL!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »

In Incomplete (my first fanfic) AJ snd Brian sing.10,000 Promises to Nick to revive him from a coma.

In one of my Revenge Of The.Slaughtere d stories I had Nick sing Straight Through My Heart but changed the lyrics up to say something along the lines anout the girl stabbed and bleeding.

I used I Need You Tonight in a AU where Nick wrote it for the girl he loved.

In Weird World.the boys are brainwashed to murder Nick when they hear Everybody, Brian drives his car.off a cliff LOL.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »

In the genre you feel most comfortable writing in (Can be more than one) offer five tips to what you consider makes a great story work in that particular style.

I'm going to give tips for Angst and for Horror.

Be Descriptive! - Whether it's angst or horror this applies. With angst, you need to really go into detail into how someone's feeling with whatever obstacle you throw at them. What makes a good drama is knowing that it was so real it's affecting your readers. Tears? They're trophies! (Sorry to everyone I've made cry before.) As for horror? If you're going for gore you gotta give every detail. You want to gross people out with just how far you (or your villian) are willing to go in terms of torture. Why? Because while gore shouldn't be the sole point, it does help make it more memorable and realistic feeling.

Put Yourself In Your Character's Shoes - You can't skimp out on characterizati on. Because the character is key, especially in terms of angst. People aren't going to care if you kill off someone's family member unless you get them to really know and love the main character it affects. Even in fanfic, give details because then it feels like you're truly telling their story. Assume the reader knows nothing. This way you'll know how the character will react to whatever life decides to throw at them.

Get creative - This is more for horror. It can't be the same every time. Whether it's some psycho or some zombies, get creative in how you want the people to fight back. Get creative in how you want the villains to strike out at them. You will be remembered for it. Case in point? "MINE".

Find the RIGHT amount of Cheese - Brotherly bonding in angst stories? Sometimes it's cheesy. But real life can be cheesy and that's okay. Stories need those awwww moments to help the reader survive through the OMG!!!! *CRY* moments lol. So say two Boys hanging out and being nerds? (See RMTW: Brian/Nick) Okay. Singing a BSB out of a coma? (See practically every old school angst) It's mock worthy LOL.

Write What You Want Whether You Know It Or Not - Like Julie I don't always write what I know. RMTW okay, I've taken a slew of psych courses so it helped. But I've also written what I don't know. (Like say zombies attacking in places I'd never been to). Google is your friend. You can research whatever you don't know and write it like you do. You can always tell if a writer is writing something because they want to, it just shows somehow.

Bonus: Don't Be Afraid To Go There - No matter how screwed up it is, break boundaries.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2013, 04:40:36 AM »

In the genre you feel most comfortable writing in (Can be more than one) offer five tips to what you consider makes a great story work in that particular style.

Bonus: Don't Be Afraid To Go There - No matter how screwed up it is, break boundaries.

I think this little nugget is so important for all genres. It will separate your story from everyone else's. It's so easy to conform to the same formulas as all the other stuff out there but when you take a minute to step outside of the box, sometimes it's worth the payoff. I mean not always, but sometimes.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2013, 06:01:05 AM »

I agree, and I love this line too:

Tears? They're trophies!

LMAO That is totally how I feel, too.  When someone tells me in a review that something made them cry, I'm like, "YES!"  That is one of the highest compliments an angst writer can receive, same as a comedy writer hearing they made someone laugh out loud, or a horror writer hearing that they gave someone nightmares.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2013, 06:31:22 AM »

I love that whole you made me cry thing too! Awesome!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »

Thanks! It was fun to write. LOL I love making people cry. Warped, but true.
I think this little nugget is so important for all genres. It will separate your story from everyone else's. It's so easy to conform to the same formulas as all the other stuff out there but when you take a minute to step outside of the box, sometimes it's worth the payoff. I mean not always, but sometimes.

Exactly. Sometimes that unknown territory is the best way to put yourself out there.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #404 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »

Don't really feel I can give anyone tips for writing what I write
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36