Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90848 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #405 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »

I'm way behind on here, will have to catch up :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #406 on: August 10, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »

Time for another question because we know what happens when school starts LOL

I was talking to Tracy about this last night, but what do you find the most complicated thing to describe when writing?

For me, it has been the small actions you wouldn't otherwise have to really describe to people. My new story has a lot of action going on and some of the stuff has come very naturally to me but it's the smaller things, like subtle movements etc... that sometimes stump me. Things I can picture in my head but then can't find the proper words to describe what I want to say!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #407 on: August 10, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

Another question

When you decide to use song lyrics, quotes or anything else as a header for a chapter, do you tend to pick that first and then write the chapter around it or after the chapter is written do you go in search of the best lyrics, quotes etc... that would best fit what you just wrote?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #408 on: August 10, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »

What do you find the most complicated thing to describe when writing?

As Mare said, I do think subtle movements, facial expressions, and body language can be hard to describe.  In real life, those are nonverbal cues that we interpret without needing words, so trying to put them into words can be difficult.

I also find it challenging to describe performances - any scene that involves singing, dancing, or playing instruments.  It's hard to find the words to describe something that is really meant to be heard or visualized.  That is why if I'm writing about a real performance or song, I will often include a link to YouTube.  It's like, "Okay, here is my interpretation of this performance... now go and watch the real thing so you get it."  That happened a lot in Curtain Call.

When you decide to use song lyrics, quotes or anything else as a header for a chapter, do you tend to pick that first and then write the chapter around it or after the chapter is written do you go in search of the best lyrics, quotes etc... that would best fit what you just wrote?

I don't do this very often.  Actually, I think the last and only story I've used song lyrics as a header for every chapter was Years of Grace back in 2001.  For that one, I came up with what the chapter was going to be about first, then picked song lyrics that would fit it.

For Song for the Undead, Rose and I start each chapter with an excerpt of a journal entry written by whichever character the chapter centers on, and it's funny because the way we go about writing those is completely opposite.  Rose usually writes the journal entry first, knowing what the chapter following it is going to be about, and then writes the chapter to fit the tone of the journal entry.  I almost always write my journal entries last, after finishing the chapter.  I usually don't have an idea for the journal entry before I write the chapter, but when the chapter is done, I can go back and mine it for ideas and find some theme I can write about in the journal entry. 
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #409 on: August 10, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »

I did the same thing as Rose for my journal entries for Mel's.

The very first thing I ever did for that story before even writing the actual story was come up with the journal entry it was all going to be based on and then I dissected it and fit each person with that part of the journal. LOL

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »

Lately I am having a hard time with action and movement. It's difficult because most of my stories before this were very thought based and in first person, so I didn't bother a lot with that. But now that I'm writing one that is very centered around action, I'm finding it to be quite the challenge. I'm taking a different approach to writing it than I usually do - I just type whatever's in my head without worrying if it sounds good, then when it comes time I post the chapter I re-read it and re-write it to actually sound good. So far it's helping.

The only story I did this with was Running Up That Hill, and it's because I have a mega-angst playlist for when I write that story LOL. I also have specific snippets that I know I will use for specific chapters. If it's a chapter without something specific already picked out for it, I'll probably add it after. Otherwise, I'll add it before.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

usako

« Reply #411 on: August 12, 2013, 01:22:39 AM »

All the non verbal things such as facial expressions, gestures, looks. I think they're so much important because, most of the times, those are the ways to describe perfectly moods and emotions.
I always picture my stories as movie scenes so I usually try to be as much descriptive as possible so that even other people can see what I have in mind. And it's never easy, especially if half of the times you think it just sucks. LOL

It depends. If it's an oneshot, then it's usually inspired by a precise song and lyrics. If it's a chapter, most of the time I've already in mind the lyrics to use. Only with a story I had to go and search for a perfect quote.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2013, 04:50:23 AM »

It's 5:45 and I've been up since 4 because of an anxiety filled dream! So why not ask a question?

This is once again about reviews. If you can, answer both as a reader and a writer. This is an issue I have in general and it's probably because I know I spend far too much time thinking about stuff like this! LOL

When you read something new, do you review right away or wait until you're ready to commit to reading the entire thing before you review? If you do review right away, do you then feel an obligation to see the story through even if you don't enjoy it? Do you ever go into the story and in a review explain why you stopped reading?

As a writer, Do you prefer anyone who read your stuff reviewed even if they just suddenly disappear and if they do just suddenly disappear, do you ever find yourself wondering if they just stopped reviewing but are still reading? Would you like it if someone came into your story and explained why they stopped reading or do think that might hinder your writing and make you doubt yourself?

I go back and forth about what to do when reading something new and now that there's a lot of new stuff to read, I think more about this kind of crap and have been doing it both ways!  LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »

And just to clarify, I want to say I'm not reading anyone's stuff out of a sense of obligation. The thing I am doing both ways is either leaving reviews immediately or not saying anything at all. After I posted that I thought, "Well now half the board probably thinks I'm talking about them..." lol

usako

« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2013, 06:41:41 AM »

When you read something new, do you review right away or wait until you're ready to commit to reading the entire thing before you review? If you do review right away, do you then feel an obligation to see the story through even if you don't enjoy it? Do you ever go into the story and in a review explain why you stopped reading?

I've always said that I'm a shy reader but I'm trying to get out of my shell. Aside that, if a story catch my attention, I'll review right away and, usually, I stick to it and not because I feel an obligation to read the entire story. I'm a picky reader so if I chose a story it's because I know I'm gonna like it.

As a writer, Do you prefer anyone who read your stuff reviewed even if they just suddenly disappear and if they do just suddenly disappear, do you ever find yourself wondering if they just stopped reviewing but are still reading? Would you like it if someone came into your story and explained why they stopped reading or do think that might hinder your writing and make you doubt yourself?

If some readers disappear, I guess it's because they don't like the story anymore (and yes, this might hurt.) or it's because they're busy and don't have the time to sit down and review. As for the review explaining why someone stopped reading, I'm torn: in a way it would be good to know why someone stopped, whether is because of lack of time or issues with the story (as long as they are costructive critics, I don't mind and I guess everyone here is always open to know where she/he is wrong so that could be better) but I think it would be better doing it in private, with a message and not through a comment that everyone will see.

And just to clarify, I want to say I'm not reading anyone's stuff out of a sense of obligation. The thing I am doing both ways is either leaving reviews immediately or not saying anything at all. After I posted that I thought, "Well now half the board probably thinks I'm talking about them..." lol

Don't worry! lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:20 AM »

When I start a new story, I usually read what's there or, if I'm discovering it late, at least a few chapters to get a feel for it, and if I like what I've read and could see myself reading more, I'll review.  I do feel somewhat committed to the story once I review, but that doesn't always mean I'll stick with it till the end.  I usually continue reading, but sometimes the story takes a turn that makes me lose interest in it, or sometimes I just get busy and fall behind.  I feel bad when that happens, and sometimes I will let the writer(s) know so they won't think it was their story.  If it was their story, I usually don't say anything unless asked directly.  I don't think I've ever left a review explaining why I won't be leaving any more reviews LOL.

As a writer, I'm used to people reviewing and then disappearing.  Sometimes the opposite happens - I'll get a review on the end of a story from someone I had no idea was even reading it.  I wish everyone who read would review, even if it means some of them might stop somewhere along the way.  I would be curious to know why they did.  I think I have enough confidence in my writing nowadays to not be offended if someone explained why they weren't going to read anymore.  I know sometimes the reason has nothing to do with my writing or that aspect of the story at all.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »

I usually review right away if it's something I actually read and didn't just skim the first chapter to see if it's something I'd like. I feel a bit of obligation, yeah. I never go into a story and explain why I stopped reviewing, because usually the reason isn't "I didn't like it." It's "I fell really behind and now I'm just waiting until it's over to read it all at once." As I've said before I do this with TV shows too. Currently waiting out Breaking Bad LOL.

If people who are reading my stuff suddenly disappear, it'd be nice to know what they didn't like about the story, but honestly I usually can figure it out for myself. A lost a lot of readers on one of my 1D stories because I waited a few months to update it. One girl let me know she stopped reading because the slash didn't happen soon enough, and one other girl was also a writer, and through her writing I knew the pairing that she liked reading/writing had changed.

I don't mind people telling me that stuff, it doesn't bother me. The only time it has hurt is when people aren't nice about it about the actual writing. Disliking a plot, a character, a chapter, even a banner doesn't hurt as much as being bluntly told the writing isn't good. It's honestly very discouraging.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »

Ugh, I can't believe people would even tell you the writing is bad, Steph because you are a great writer.

I know as a writer, I would love to know why someone stopped reading my stuff halfway through but I also know there's no way for us to really tell if that is actually what has happened. Sometimes people still read even if they suddenly stop reviewing. I think for me, I'd like someone to tell me what it was that made them stop reading. Was it a plot point? Or did it take too long for an update or did it end up going in a way you weren't expecting and know you just wouldn't enjoy? I guess that's why I'm torn what to do as a reader, because as a writer I would like those answers but I know not everyone would.

As far as reviewing, I used to wait until I knew for sure I wanted to commit to a story but like I said there's so much on AC that's readable now, I've just been leaving reviews for things that look promising and I know that some of them aren't things I'll stick with because of the directions they are taking. I couldn't' figure that out by the first chapters though.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of stories where I already know I won't read all the way through but do read that first chapter because it's a name I know or want to read something by them but I'm afraid if I do review it'll be a commitment I'm unwilling to make but then I also see those people sometimes complaining about lack of reviews so I'm at a standstill. Do I tell them I read your first chapter even though I know in the end I won't like this? LOL
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:40:33 AM by mare »

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »

Thanks Mare :)

To your point about people complaining about a lack of reviews on twitter. This actually will turn me off of reading altogether. And if I did start reading the story, I'd feel really obligated to continue because I'd fear if I fell behind/stopped reading I'd get passive aggressive tweets/tumblr blogs written because I stopped.

I'm not going to lie and say I've never tweeted about a lack of reviews, I'm sure that I have. But I try not to because whenever I see that it turns me off of reading so much. I don't think anyone looks at those kinds of tweets, feels bad for the person and then goes and checks out their stuff. And even if that is the case, I wouldn't want people to read anything I wrote because they felt bad for me, I want them to read it because they are enjoying it and are genuinely excited for the update.

Additionally, I see my friends reblogging their own stories on tumblr (I don't know if any of you use tumblr, but doing that is basically the same as retweeting yourself) That drives me insane and it creates an illusion of arrogance.

I'm going to stop now before I turn into a ranty mcranterson LOL

~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »

I can become ranty mcranterson about that too! LOL I don't use tumblr because I don't really understand it, but that would annoy me! I hate when people RT themselves saying they updated a thousand times. LOL We know we get it!

And yes, I'm pretty sure at one point or another we have all whined about lack of reviews but I am the same way. I won't go search out your story just because I feel bad, in this particular case though, I did take the time to read this first chapter and when the whining started I didn't know what to do. It's like well do I go in there and say "Look I read it and it was good, but I know this isn't going to entertain me. I knew it when I clicked on it. I was just curious to see what you came up with."  Or do I just not say anything and act like I am one of those people just ignoring a story?

I'll probably just act like I never read it and keep doing that with most of the things I tend to just click on out of curiosity. LOL
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36