Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90885 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »

Sorry I haven't been around much....been so busy lately. I need to play catch up on here and reading.

I have stopped reading some authors because they do not respond to reviews ir they say if a chapter gets no reviews they wont update. This always irks me.

About the twitter stuff, I hope I'm not the one being annoying. Sometimes I just get excited. I'll try not to talk about my chapters there anymore.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »

^ See, that would and most times does turn me off reading the story completely, even if I was enjoying it, if I think the author is a giant tool, I have a hard time wanting to care about the story at all lol

I won't stop reading a story I've already started if I'm genuinely enjoying it, but it would dissuade me from wanting to read more from that author in the future.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »

I hate the "I expect x amount of reviews before an update" threats! So annoying.

Tracy, being excited doesn't bother me. I get excited on twitter too and post that I'm writing or enjoying what I'm writing.

It's the "oh, no one has reviewed, :(" tweets that I was specifically talking about that bother me, no matter who they come from. Like I said, I'm sure I'm not innocent in that either but I do try to curb it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »

I wasn't talking about you either, Tracy. Really if any of you bothered me that much on twitter I'd just unfollow your asses so as long as I'm still following you, you haven't' annoyed me yet. Congrats! LOL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:51:33 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »

I apologize to anyone if I sounded snarky. I was going through a bit this morning, one of my friends attempted suicide last night and I am a bit emotional.

Leads me to a question...do any real life events ever hinder your writing, or is it more of a release when you are not having a good day? When you're down, do  you write, read or just avoid fanfiction together

usako

« Reply #440 on: August 15, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

I apologize to anyone if I sounded snarky. I was going through a bit this morning, one of my friends attempted suicide last night and I am a bit emotional.

Leads me to a question...do any real life events ever hinder your writing, or is it more of a release when you are not having a good day? When you're down, do  you write, read or just avoid fanfiction together

I'm sorry about your friend.  :bighug: :bighug:

As for the question. I'm an emotional writer. Writing as always been my release/escape so, when I'm down, I project my sadness/feeling depressed/hurt on my characters (mostly Brian lol) to feel better.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #441 on: August 15, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that! And actually with all the crap and drama going on my life, writing has been a big help as a distraction. I think maybe that's why I'm a writing machine because when I take the time to stop and think, I turn into an emotional wreck.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #442 on: August 15, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about your friend, Tracy.

It depends on what the real life events are, I suppose. For instance this week at work has been incredibly busy, so each day I come home so tired that I don't have the brainpower left to write. Sometimes if bad things are going on in other aspects of my life, writing can be a good escape, I've definitely done that before.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #443 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »

Tracy, I'm sorry about your friend.  I hope she's going to be okay.

I usually can't write when I'm stressed out or upset about something, but if I'm able to focus, it can be a good way to either channel my feelings or distract me from them.  A friend of mine from work was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer while I was halfway through writing Curtain Call, and I wondered how that would affect my ability to write that story because it suddenly hit close to home, but I think it actually helped me deal with my feelings about it and maybe even helped me prepare myself for her death because I just channeled everything into Cary.  My friend died the day after I posted the end of CC, and I think that was a relief because even though I knew it was coming, it would have been hard to still have to finish the story after it actually happened in real life.

As far as distractions go, I started Secrets of the Heart one weekend when I was upset about something related to work, but I knew there was nothing I could do about it that weekend, so I just needed a way to take my mind off it, and starting a new story totally worked!  It's one of the few times that has happened.  Like Steph said, writing can be a good escape.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #444 on: August 17, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »

The writer's dilemma question:

Due to the recent disabling of the review function on the site, I figured this was the perfect time to ask this question because I know as a writer I am having a hard time lol

Now that reviews are no longer an option, will you still continue to update your stories? Or do you plan on waiting until the review function is up and running again?

Be honest! Because I know... I know... we write for ourselves blah blah blah... and we do. I have written 16 chapters of my new one just for me but the second half of that sentence is but we post to get a response from the people reading it!

I am kind of torn what I want to do. A big part of the joy of posting a chapter is the reaction the reader's have to it especially when it's a big chapter. You know, we've all had them. The ones where you can't wait to see what your readers will say when they read it?

I feel like the one I was going to post today is one of those and it'll kill me if and when I don't get any reaction lol Now that I have hit the meaty part of this story there are more chapters like that than not, so honestly, I might wait to post until the review function comes back.  

I still might go ahead and post anyway, but it will bother me not to know the reactions the chapters are getting. I mean people can go into the update threads and review there but when you consider how few people take the time to review with the box right there... lol Anyway, just being completely honest about things. I hope you guys are too. What you say might help me make my decision.

Just for the love of GOD don't say I only write for myself and don't care about the reviews because you all care about reviews! LOL that drives me bananas! I have seen everyone mention reviews, even people who claim not to care! So just quit it!

Just so you know, if you do continue to post your stories I will take the time to leave you reviews in your update threads a long as you have them! Because that's how I roll!

usako

« Reply #445 on: August 17, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »

I'm torn too and thank God I'm not the only one.

Though I already know that, with my pace, by the time I will be able to post the chapter the review option would be up again. lol But yes, in a way I thought about not posting without being able to know if the chapter will be well received.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #446 on: August 17, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

I'm still reading!  When the review function comes back I'll go and review too :)

By the time I get around to writing anything, I'm sure this review issue will be long forgotten.  But I would still post (if I had anything to post).

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

You are not alone, Cinzia I'm sure most of us feel like this. I am just curious what everyone plans on doing. LOL

And Steph you need to get your mojo back! LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »

I do need to Mare, I don't know where it's gone :(  Maybe I need some excitement in my life LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #449 on: August 17, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »

LOL you and me both!

I hate when that happens. Hopefully it'll come back soon. Maybe watching some BSB interviews etc... would help.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36