Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110571 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »

this is the first time I have been on a computer since work on Halloween and I am typing one handed since Lucas wants to be held and I can't deny him. I am hoping I can get some mojo back but my desk is blocked... I brought my computer downstairs to get on to do some paperwork for work heh. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »

I can't imagine trying to write with a newborn around!  Even if he does sleep a lot, I'm sure you're exhausted, Lore!  Especially with another kid and a hubby to take care of, too!  I'm tired all the time, and I only have myself to take care of! LOL

I have been feeling the urge to write lately, so maybe I can get something going this weekend.  I don't even know what to try to write, something in-progress that I should be updating or something I've started but not posted, so there's no pressure.  That is part of my problem; I have too many projects and no focus.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2013, 01:04:42 AM »

Have you ever held back on writing or posting something because you were worried about the reaction it would get?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2013, 03:45:34 AM »

The only time I was ever hesitant with posting a story was "It Stays" because I felt like it might have been a little too dark. Luckily everyone in this fandom is as crazy as I am though so it all worked out. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »

I initially held back on posting Running Up That Hill because it was way out of my comfort zone and I was really nervous about what the reaction would be.

I wasn't even going to write Forever Like This until my friend Jess convinced me to. 
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »

No, I don't hold back on posting something, I just hope people don't think I'm too much of a weirdo for some of the stuff I do write lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »

I didn't want to post Figured You Out at first, because I was a bit worried, that was the first story where I went completely left field from what I was writing at the time, which was romance lol. I am glad I posted it though.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »

No, I don't hold back on posting something, I just hope people don't think I'm too much of a weirdo for some of the stuff I do write lol

This is what I worry about sometimes... but then...

Luckily everyone in this fandom is as crazy as I am though so it all worked out. LOL

...I remind myself of that and write/post it anyway LOL.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »

I am not afraid to post anything. .. if it gets read it gets read.  If not... well I don't write in the genre that is everyone cup of tea already so...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

Thought I'd just put a bunch of questions in here now since some of us have time off and it's been so dead.

How would you describe your writing style?

How do you tend to portray each of the boys?

If you do use a female lead or any other lead besides the boys, do they tend to follow a pattern? Do you tend to use the same characters?

What do you feel are the most overused things in fanfic?

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions in fanfic or maybe the specific genres you tend to write?

Use either the last story you worked on or the one you are currently working on to answer the following questions.

Have you updated it regularly? If not, why?

Is it something you normally write or is/was it out of your comfort zone?

What made you decided to write it?

How were the reviews? Did you get a lot of feedback?

Do you plan on completing it?

Are there plans for a sequel or was it a sequel?

Overall were you/are you happy with the result?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »

My writing style is descriptive and dramatic.  I almost always write in past tense, usually in third person, though occasionally I will write in first.  My style tends to differ depending on what point of view I'm writing in.

If you do use a female lead or any other lead besides the boys, do they tend to follow a pattern? Do you tend to use the same characters?
I tend to put a piece of myself into my female characters, but I try to use different pieces for different characters to make them different from each other.  So while there may be some similarities between some characters, most of them are pretty different.  I don't know that they follow any specific pattern.

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions in fanfic or maybe the specific genres you tend to write?
I think one misconception in fanfic in general, as well as in the genres I write, is that it's just a way for us to write out our ridiculous fantasies.  Most of the stuff I write is far from a fantasy.

Use either the last story you worked on or the one you are currently working on to answer the following questions.  The last story I worked on that is currently online is my BSB/Harry Potter crossover, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Backstreet Boy," so that's what I'll answer these questions about.

Have you updated it regularly? If not, why?  LOL Not at all.  I started writing this story during spring break 2012 and was on such a roll with it that I decided to start posting it that same week.  Of course, as soon as break ended and I got busy with work again, I stopped writing it and lost my flow.  I stopped posting it after the first three chapters, even though I had more written, and decided to wait until I got on a roll with it again to keep posting.  I haven't updated it or written regularly on it since.

Is it something you normally write or is/was it out of your comfort zone?  Completely out of my comfort zone.  I am a huge Harry Potter fan, but I don't usually write fantasy, I've never written a true crossover (that wasn't just a spoof) before, so those elements make it something very different for me.

What made you decided to write it?  I love Harry Potter, but never got into Harry Potter fanfic.  I did, however, attempt to write a Harry Potter/BSB crossover about ten years ago.  I didn't get very far on it (maybe 2 chapters?) and don't really remember what the plot was going to be, but the basic premise of a HP/BSB crossover stuck with me.  Somehow this idea for one came together, and it was a lot better than the original idea could have been, so I decided to give it a shot.

How were the reviews? Did you get a lot of feedback?  The first three chapters that I posted back in 2012 got a few reviews, and people seemed interested.  I also posted it on fanfiction.net and have gotten a few reviews there.

Do you plan on completing it?  Yes.  I actually finished Chapter 8 a couple of weeks ago and figure I'm about a quarter of the way through it.  I have a pretty solid outline for the rest, so now it's just a matter of actually writing it.

Are there plans for a sequel or was it a sequel?  In a way, this is sort of a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but I don't plan to write any subsequent stories.

Overall were you/are you happy with the result?  I do really like this story so far, and I love the ideas I have for it.  I just need to be in the right mindset to continue writing it.
~Julie

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

Use either the last story you worked on or the one you are currently working on to answer the following questions. I'll based my answer with the only story I am working on: The other side of NC

Have you updated it regularly? If not, why?
Sadly, No. Aside from I don't have time to write because I have a baby, err, toddler, render overtime at the office everyday, and started a small business; I am stuck with my current storyline. I mean, I have the ending/resolution to the current mission but I feel like there should be a chapter or scene between the last posted chapter and my ending. I just can't figure out how to write that.

Is it something you normally write or is/was it out of your comfort zone?
I know I am a romance writer but writing TOSONC doesn't feel like it's out of my comfort zone.

What made you decided to write it?
I loved the idea.

How were the reviews? Did you get a lot of feedback?
Just a few but all of them matters. It really means a lot when someone appreciates your work.

Do you plan on completing it?
Yes! Definitely. I have ideas for new stories but I told myself that I will not start writing new stories until this one is finished.

Are there plans for a sequel or was it a sequel?
Yes. If the readers would like the plot for the sequel.

Overall were you/are you happy with the result?
Yes.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

Dialogue and action driven, multiple points of view, usually in first person. When I use third person I tend to be more descriptive.

How do you tend to portray each of the boys?
Pretty much the same from story to story. I try to keep them very much how I perceive them to be and not too out of character.

Any other lead in my stories end up being a villain. lol

What do you feel are the most overused things in fanfic?
Banners. Not even joking.

My answer is pretty much the same as Julie's. I hate when people speak for everyone in saying they write to fulfill their fantasy life. I'm pretty sure my fantasies do not include maiming the guys. LOL Other people...maybe .

I'll answer the others later.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »

I didn't answer the overused things in fanfic question because I feel like I've answered that one so many times before, but after watching Dexter today, I thought of a new one - though I don't know if it's so much overused as just a pet peeve of mine that applies to not only fanfic, but fiction in general, especially TV shows.

I HATE when writers feel the need to ruin a perfectly good couple with the following overused storyline:
1. Life is going well for happy couple.
2. New character comes in and "befriends" one half of happy couple.
3. Other half of happy couple becomes suspicious and jealous, while significant other insists they're "just friends."
4. Annoying new character has ulterior motives, wants to be more than friends.
5. Annoying new character makes move; old character who has always been faithful suddenly becomes weak and cheats on his/her significant other.
6. Love triangle ensues.
7. Happy couple temporarily breaks up, but inevitably gets back together once cheater finally comes to his/her senses and sees annoying new character's true colors.

I hate these storylines whenever they happen in my favorite TV shows (The OC was notorious for this - Oliver, Johnny, etc.), but as I was thinking about it, I realized I've been guilty of doing this too (with Jamie in BMS).  I guess it's just an easy way to create drama in a romance.

So I guess the question that comes out of this is, what have you done in your own stories that really annoys you in other people's stories?  (And feel free to rant about totally unnecessary love triangles, too!)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2013, 04:49:04 AM »

I really stay away from stories that use that as a point of 'drama' or 'suspense' (using quotey fingers for those because I find the use of the word suspense in those love triangle/romance plots ridiculous) but it's hard to escape in TV though. That plot shows up pretty much everywhere, sadly and it almost always makes me mad. lol

As far as the actual question, I'll have to think on that. At the moment nothing is really coming to mind but I'm sure there is something, probably many things lol
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44