Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110545 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2014, 04:52:32 AM »

I came up with a few ideas last night that I know will only ever be just ideas. lol

Something else I learned about myself is I do get more inspired after reading something really well written and interesting fanfic wise. I never really thought that helped but it does. Like that story "Brothers" that hadn't been updated in over a year. I stayed away from reading the update initially because like I said up there earlier ^ I'm tired of reading one chapter and then having to wait 6 months to read another one so I kind of made a vow to not read something unless at least two updates happen within quick proximity to each other or that the author seems like they are committed enough to finish it. Since she posted three chapters within a week of each other I finally read the update and it got me wanting to read about the boys since the actual boys haven't done much for me lately! Last night I found myself thinking about story lines again because of it.

So, I really need some of you to step up your updating of the stories I am reading or write something I really want to read so this way I might want to write again! LOL It's all about me...me...me!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

usako

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:36 AM »

That is exactly how I am too.  I usually have stories outlined in my head, if not on paper, and can envision whole scenes playing out in my mind, but when it comes time to actually write them down, I get stuck.

I don't think it's true writer's block as much as it is me either overthinking things or just losing focus, because once I put my mind to it and get into a groove, I can hammer out a whole scene without stopping.  It just takes me a long time to get to that place.  I just finished writing a scene that I've had playing in my head all week, and it turned out more or less like I imagined it, but it took me literally all day to get to a point where I could write it.  I had to get all my usual distractions - TV, music, social media, excessive research, and the internet in general - out of my system first, and then I was able to write just fine.  But even that only works with stories I really want to write.

My other problem is that lately, even if I like my ideas, I don't like actually writing any of my stories.  I just want to have that one story that I'm obsessed with writing, and I haven't really had that in a couple of years, so I keep flitting from one idea to another, hoping to find that one that's going to keep me inspired.

I can't write if there is too much silence so I have to have at least the music on, though on low volume. But I have the same problem, when I'm into writing I really get sucked in and can write an entire scene in a day. But it takes really so much to get in that mood that, usually, I end up not writing at all. lol
That's something that I really want to change.

usako

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »

So, I really need some of you to step up your updating of the stories I am reading or write something I really want to read so this way I might want to write again! LOL It's all about me...me...me!! :)

:D :D :D

I'm bad, I'm really a bad writer when it comes to update.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2014, 05:48:35 AM »

You are not alone! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »

Lol mare maybe if you smack me around a bit, I might be able to make this work :p I have been doing terrible at being focused on writing. I miss reviews, miss writing, but can never focus lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »

I can bug you if you really want me to but be careful what you wish for lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »

I came up with a few ideas last night that I know will only ever be just ideas. lol

Something else I learned about myself is I do get more inspired after reading something really well written and interesting fanfic wise. I never really thought that helped but it does.

That has always helped me too.  Reading great stories tends to inspire ideas of my own and motivates me to write better.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »

I can't write if there is too much silence so I have to have at least the music on, though on low volume. But I have the same problem, when I'm into writing I really get sucked in and can write an entire scene in a day. But it takes really so much to get in that mood that, usually, I end up not writing at all. lol
That's something that I really want to change.

I'm like that too.  Because it often takes me all day to accomplish anything, if I don't have a whole day to write, I usually don't bother, unless I'm really inspired.  Last week I thought I'd try writing for an hour before bed every night, in place of reading, but I tried it one night and got absolutely nothing written because of that hour deadline hanging over my head.  It was like, well even if I get on a roll, I'm going to have to stop in an hour, so why bother?  It usually takes me more than an hour to get started on a scene from scratch.  If I'm in the middle of a scene, it's easier to pick up where I left off and keep going.  Sometimes I deliberately stop in the middle of a scene so that next time I sit down to write, it's easier to get started because I already know what comes next.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »

What's your weirdest writing habit?

I do a lot of thinking in the shower, and I tend to get inspired and start writing scenes in my head while I'm taking a shower, but then I would get out and lose my flow by the time I got to where I could write the words down.  So, at a friend's suggestion, I invested in a set of bathtub crayons from Toys 'R' Us - the kind little kids can use to draw on the tub walls - and I keep those in my shower for when inspiration strikes.  Sometimes my bathroom looks like a crazy person lives there because if you look closely, there are words scribbled all over the shower walls.  Bathtub crayon, I've learned, does not wash off as easily as it should.  So that's going to be fun, trying to remove all traces of fanfic writing from the walls when it comes time to move out of this place.  But I still do it because, hey, it actually does help!  I just wrote a whole paragraph down one wall and now have a beginning for a new chapter of a story, which I wasn't sure how I was going to start before I stepped into the shower.  So that's one weird habit I have.  What are yours?
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »

I am a shower writer, too!  The shower is just where I do my thinking and relaxing, and for whatever reason, the creative juices totally get flowing while I'm in the shower.  I'll write entire scenes in my head while showering then sometimes write them down, sometimes not.  It had never occurred to me to actually write in the shower with bath crayons.  I love that!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

It's fun!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »

Do you usually set your stories in a specific time/year (whether past or present) or try to be vague about when they take place?
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »

All of mine have a very specific timeframe because I like to incorporate real-life BSB events into all of my stories.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »

I tend to set my stories in the past but I am also generally vague when it comes to things going on like tours, album releases etc... because I have a bad memory for those things unless it's important for the plot.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »

I used to keep it vague or just write in the present, but nowadays I'm more like Emily, with a specific time frame in all of my cannon stories.  Usually I write more or less in the present, but I've discovered the fun in writing in a specific era of the past too.  I like to incorporate the real life events and pop culture stuff from those eras, especially if I'm going way back.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44