Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110533 times)

usako

Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »

It depends.

If it's linked to a certain situation, video or picture, I usually use a specific time or period. Otherwise, I tend to be vague and not to give a date.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »

Have you ever recycled one of your own storylines?  As in, written a story with a plot that was essentially the same or similar to another one of your stories?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2014, 05:12:53 AM »

What's your current status as far as fanfic goes?  Are you reading anything?  Writing anything?  Thinking about writing anything?  Just post an update!

I can't remember the last time I checked the most recent page. Mare's Hope was the last fan fic I read. I have been transferred to the head office which is a little strict with internet. I have no internet connection even during lunch breaks. I can't check AC during lunch breaks like I used to. When I come home, with a toddler running around and a little business that needs attention, I don't have time to read. I received a book last Christmas but I can't get past chapter 1.

The good news is, I just finished a chapter for The Other Side of NC. But I won't be posting anything until I finished at least 3 chapters, or until I can convince myself that I could write weekly again. It really sucks when I want to write but I just can't. :(
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »

Have you ever recycled one of your own storylines?  As in, written a story with a plot that was essentially the same or similar to another one of your stories?

Even though I know it's not true, I feel like that's all I ever do. Not sure why but every single time I am writing a story I feel like I'm just copying myself from an earlier novel and I'm sure at points I have done that, even stolen my own lines. LOL

I know one thing I always tend to do even when I don't want to, is make Nick the focal point of every story. Even the group ones usually end up more focused on him than the rest. It just kind of happens that way so I let it. I think I just find it easier because I love his interactions with the other guys more than all the other pairings so making him my center really helps when it comes to the flow of the actual story. It's probably unusual since he's not my favorite member of the group although a very close second, but I've never written about him because he's 'totes hot! or I want to have ten thousand of his babies, or I have a ton of posters of him on my walls'

Just something I kind of noticed while writing on "Hope" this summer that everyone probably noticed a lot sooner than I did. lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:41 PM »

I have noticed that you tend to focus most on Nick even in your group stories, but there's nothing wrong with that.  In fact, I bet the majority of readers prefer it that way.  We all probably have that one guy that we tend to center our stories on, and not necessarily because he's our favorite.  Nick's not my favorite either, but I have written more stories centered on him in the last decade than I have any of the other guys.  He's just fun to write about and makes for an interesting character.

As far as recycling storylines goes, I do it too.  I don't set out to, but I've noticed it's become sort of a pattern with the novels I've started writing in the past few years.  Almost all of them could be seen as recycled versions of my older stories if you look at just the basic premise.  Maybe that is just what happens when you run out of ideas; you start recycling the old ones LOL.  The reason it doesn't bother me is that I feel like I am improving upon my old writing that way, by taking an old premise and putting a new spin on it, writing it better than I did the first (or second, in some cases LOL) time around.  It's never the same story twice, even if the storylines are similar.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as it's not just the same old same old.

Has anyone ever thought about taking one of their older stories and doing a completely different take on it? I don't mean just rewriting on it to make it better if it's something you had written a long time ago. I mean completely changing it plot wise? Using the same moment in time but taking a different story away from it?

For instance, taking my story "The Apartment" and using that same time and place but move it into a suspense setting. Something happens while Nick is staying with the guys over Christmas break. (Just an example. I have absolutely NO plans to do that. lol)

This might actually make a good challenge idea.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »

Ooh, that would be a good challenge idea!  I have never thought of doing that, but you've got me thinking now. 
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »

I would love to take one of my old stories and do something new with it, just to see what it turned out like.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »

Maybe I will mention it in the challenge section then. That would be a fun idea.

usako

« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

Has anyone ever thought about taking one of their older stories and doing a completely different take on it? I don't mean just rewriting on it to make it better if it's something you had written a long time ago. I mean completely changing it plot wise? Using the same moment in time but taking a different story away from it?

I did something like that for my very first story. It was really bad, short, no research and it was long before I found out about this heaven called slash. lol So, after a few years, I took it and change it into a slash maintaing only the basic plot.
And yep, it still waiting to be finished. LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »

That is a really cool idea actually! I have thought about it before.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »

I've noticed new sequels and spin-off stories popping up on the most recent page again lately.     What story or characters would you most like to read a sequel or spin-off about?  And if you were to write one of your own, which of your stories/characters would you do a spin-off/sequel about?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »

I would like to do one about Brian from Finding Carter and kind of get in depth with his character more. Since writing the companion story for the last forum challenge, I have been thinking about his character a bit.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »

J.K. Rowling said in an interview that she regrets putting Ron and Hermione together and that she should have had Harry and Hermione get together instead... which I totally disagree with, but that's for another thread.  Here's the article of anyone's interested in reading it: http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/01/jk-rowling-ron-hermione-relationship-regret-interview/

My related question is, have you ever looked back at one of your stories and regretted writing a major plot point?  If you were to go back and rewrite, what would you do differently?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2014, 01:18:31 AM »

Why does she regret that? Harry and Hermione had too much of a sibling type friendship.

Um, I won't say regret but sometimes I get curious if I could've done things differently. Like after updating Undead I thought of what would've happened if Dee had stayed writing with us. I remember we were debating about Nick and if he'd go better with Riley or Kayleigh. And if Kayleigh would've turned out a lot differently. If we would've had different major plot points, that sorta thing since there'd been a lot more debating when it was the three of us.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44