Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110564 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2014, 02:48:08 AM »

I think so too - Harry and Hermione didn't have that kind of chemistry.  They were definitely "just friends"; there was no spark between them.  But Ron and Hermione seemed meant to be, and I like that Harry ended up with Ginny.  I think it's so weird that after blatantly shooting down the Harry/Hermione shippers, she's now turning around and saying the complete opposite.

And I do think Undead would have turned out differently if Dee were still writing with us.  Kayleigh would probably still be alive, because I don't think she would have let us kill her LOL.  And you're right; we hadn't decided who Nick might hook up with.  But I think everything has turned out for the best, and killing Kayleigh was a good move.  Stories like this need major character deaths to be realistic.  If we hadn't killed Kayleigh, we probably would have had to kill Hemophilia Howie. ;)

For me, the one regret that came to mind was how I had Nick and Claire break up in By My Side.  I think they needed to break up for the story to work out the way I wanted it to, but I could have had it happen in a way that didn't force them both to break character.  I would like to think I've learned my lesson and will never make the mistake of not staying true to my characters again.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2014, 02:58:44 AM »

Yeah her death was a major plot point and I don't think Howie would've matched up. Poor Hemophilia Howie :(.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2014, 04:14:00 AM »

Now I see what you were talking about on twitter. I honestly would have loved to see Hermione end up with Malfoy lol but I loved him, I so wanted he and Harry to become best friends after all that. I didn't like Ginny, I kind of wanted her to die instead of one of the twins.

Why is she even rethinking these things? That's not a good sign, JK! Let your characters go. We don't need a sudden rebirth of the series and then a subsequent spin off of a spin off of a spin off....

I think the only real regret I have is letting Ariana die at the end of Scars. It would have been nice to rehabilitate her and have her become part of the family but then again she was a nut case and needed to die for it to feel realistic-ish. lol Not that the story itself was realistic.

Oh I think another one of mine is not just leaving Mizpah alone! I really just wanted the story to end with Nick still kidnapped and no one having a clue what happens to him. I HATE myself for writing the sequels to that one! It was just my first story and I was easily swayed by the reviews and begs for more.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2014, 04:34:37 AM »

I think JKR knows enough not to write another HP sequel or spin-off.  I do hope she writes that encyclopedia she's talked about doing, and I wish she would write a Marauders era prequel series, but that's just wishful thinking.  As much as I would love more books, it would be a bad idea to write more about Harry and co.  The epic part of his story has been told; there's nowhere to go that would be as good as the original seven books.

It's so easy to get sucked into writing series, especially when you're just beginning and don't know any better.  That's when I wrote most of my sequels too.  I don't even know why; it's not like I was getting enough feedback in the first place to make me think that writing a sequel would get me more, and I definitely didn't suffer from a lack of ideas.  I think most of my sequels were written just because I enjoyed writing the first story and wanted to keep it going, and others were written (or started and never finished) because I got sick of writing the first story and decided to end it early and save the rest for a sequel.  Bad idea!  The last novel sequel I wrote was BMS, and that's the only one I don't regret writing, although obviously there are parts I wish I had written differently.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2014, 05:11:49 AM »

I'd like to hope JKR knows better.

The talk of sequels made me think of one regret I do have. It was ending Just Another Day the way I did. Originally it was supposed to be a lot longer but then I got it in my head that it needed to be split up into three stories. Probably cause it was my first "major" story. Since I never plan on actually picking up the sequels I can easily say without regret my plans were for the couple to get really serious, the lead girl dies, and then the last fic was supposed to be Nick going deep into his own problems and trying to claw his way out. Basically the plot of the full story needlessly split up into three fics.

Instead I ended the first fic on a fluffy note. Go figure LOL. The original idea was way closer to how I typically write things.  Diving into a Nick who lost his reason for changing up his life and getting out of his Depression would've been some fun characterizati on.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »

Now I see what you were talking about on twitter. I honestly would have loved to see Hermione end up with Malfoy lol but I loved him, I so wanted he and Harry to become best friends after all that. I didn't like Ginny, I kind of wanted her to die instead of one of the twins.

Omg me too! Same brain.

I regret major plot points in a lot of my stories lol especially once I finish them and then then "damnit why didn't i do (that)?" Which is part of my motivation for writing in full before posting now. I've gone back and changed major points that I changed my mind about later.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »

I'm actually getting ready to do something in one of my stories that perhaps I'll end up regretting... I'm doing it anyway, because I think it's relevant and helps solidify one of the major plot points.   I fear my readers may think I've "jumped the shark" with this one, but it sounds like a good idea at the time. Time will tell, I guess. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »

Since I never plan on actually picking up the sequels I can easily say without regret my plans were for the couple to get really serious, the lead girl dies, and then the last fic was supposed to be Nick going deep into his own problems and trying to claw his way out.

Ooh, you were going to kill off Cally?  How?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »

Emily's post brought up another question:  Have you ever "jumped the shark" with one of your stories?  For anyone not familiar with the phrase, it comes from an episode of Happy Days where Fonzie literally jumps over a shark on water skis, a storyline so ridiculous that it marked the decline of the show.  So have you ever had something so ridiculous happen in one of your stories that it ruined the rest of the story?  Or have you ever changed your mind about writing something because you realized it would be jumping the shark?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »

Ooh, you were going to kill off Cally?  How?

Car accident. Nick would've been driving.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »

Ouch!  Yeah, that would pretty much destroy him. :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »

I like the smiley face at the end of that lmao.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »

Of course!  You know how much joy I get out of destroying Nick. :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »

Me too. Still amazed at the fact I didn't do it. LOL I suppose every person needs at least one story where Nick isn't destroyed psychology, killed, maimed, or tortured...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »

Which do you enjoy more, the process of writing or the finished product/story that results from it?
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44