Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110539 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »

What type of actor/actress would you say others would be?

I'll be back with my answer when I'm on my computer instead of my phone lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

jess20

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »

Don't quite get the question. I think I need someone to spell it out for me  :-[

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2014, 05:50:44 AM »

I think it's just a part two of my question which was how do you think you would be perceived if you were famous. Now how do you think some of the other authors would be perceived? That's what I think she meant anyway lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »

Basically lol. I'm here on my phone and I'm a lot lazier typing wise.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »

I don't know that I would disagree with what anyone said about themselves.  Most of us had similar answers about flying under the radar or blending into the background, which is kind of funny, but I don't think any of us are attention-seeking enough to attract strong opinions.  Writing is very much a "behind the scenes" kind of craft, so maybe that's why.  We all enjoy discussing our writing with each other and getting feedback from readers, but in that case, it's about our stories and characters more than us personally.  That's why I think a lot of us would be "character actors" - the kind of people whose faces you recognize from their roles without knowing their names or anything about them personally.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:45:40 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »

I thought of a really interesting question. What genre do you feel as a writer is the most challenging to write, and what genre is the easiest?

You can speak for your own writing experiences or just your opiniona, I am really curious.

For me I think the most challenging is sci fi and romance. With sci fi you need to come up with your own universe and sometimes own laws, or even a society....it takes a lot of creativity.

Romance has been done so many times that it is hard to find a new way to do it and not have it be similar to another idea, you need it to catch people's attention. Romance requires a lot of creativity.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2014, 05:41:29 AM »

Good question, Tracy.

My answer is going to be very similar to when the kids ask me which instrument is the easiest and hardest to play. I always have two different answers. One based on general perception and one based on actual experience. Same with this one!

My answers as a writer are going to be totally different from my answers as a reader.

As a writer, I personally think the easiest genre to write is action/suspense. I have just always found it really easy. Once I get going on an action scene, the words just flow and my typing speeds up and it becomes very visual to me. The hardest thing for me to write is sci fi. It's one of the few genres I've tried where I actually needed to really plot a lot before writing it. Most of the times, you're creating a whole new world that needs to be really layered and complex and if it's not well thought out, it won't really have the desired affect of being at least semi realistic.

Now as a reader, not knowing anything about how hard or easy it is to write. I would say the easiest would be romance, unfortunately because most of the ones I have encountered seem kind of bland and one note. There's never anything overly complex happening or layered and the characters aren't really all that authentic and creative. It's more like reading about someone's day to day life. It seems like the most complex would be AU. Just having to come up with a different reality for characters and throw them in to that life while trying to keep them as them. On paper seems like a hard thing to do.

I have tried writing in just about every single genre now and I think I can say I've read something from each one as well.

If something is really well written and thought out, it should appear effortless to the person reading it.

There's my thoughts lol  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:44:12 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:08 AM »

writing wise for me I find Suspense and AU easiest. I love AU because there is so much to play with and experiment. I find hardest to me would be fantasy, i haven't done that genre yet for that reason.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »

Based on my personal experience, I would actually say suspense is one of the hardest genres to write!  It requires a knowledge of pacing, whether you're building that slow suspense or writing an action-packed wild ride that never stops.  It also takes a lot of creativity to write your characters into holes and find ways for them to get out again, as well as to keep your readers guessing.  And finally, I think writing a multi-dimensional villain that people can both believe and relate to is tougher than writing a hero who's that way.  I love reading suspense, but I have always struggled to write it well.

Based on perception, I would also say sci-fi and fantasy are hard to write because, like Mare said, you often end up creating different worlds or at least changing the rules of our world, so it requires a great deal of consistency and attention to detail.  I haven't written enough sci-fi/fantasy to really know firsthand though.

For me, the easiest genre has always been drama.  The storylines tend to be simpler and slower-paced, and there usually aren't as many characters outside of the Boys to juggle with.  The focus is less on action and more on characterizati on.  I feel that romance is similar to drama in that respect, although romance has the added challenge of trying to do a unique take on a universal storyline.  That said, it takes a strong character writer to do drama and/or romance well.  So I think the question of which genres are easiest and hardest really comes down to what your strengths as a writer are.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2014, 05:46:54 PM »

Follow-up to Tracy's question:

What has been your hardest story to write, what has been your easiest, and why?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »

I'll come in to answer these when I get home to my computer :).

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

I have to put some thought into those.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2014, 01:02:49 AM »

Hmmm, for me the hardest story to write for me would be Finding Carter because it had so many elements and layers. AU requires a lot of creativity for me. That story took a lot of research, and plotting because it was a novel. Nick's and character took a long time to perfect because of his psychological issues and to make him grow as the story progressed, not to mention it was his POV, something I am still trying.to get comfortable writing.

Easiest story to write for me was When I Grow Up because.it was an homage to 13 Going On 30, i knew the storyline already.

jess20

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »

I'll play. I've only written two stories so this should be easy. Hardest one is Brothers, easiest one was the other one I did which I am totally blanking on the name right now. Soooo proud of that one as you can tell lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »

LOL Jess!

I think my hardest story to write has been Guilty Roads.  Everything about it has been hard - plotting, researching, writing, and staying inspired to write.  If I didn't like what I have done of it so far, and if others didn't like it, I would have quit on it a long time ago.

Easiest... probably Broken.  Broken basically wrote itself.  There were parts of it that were hard to write, but I never really got stuck or lost my inspiration on it.  I was like a machine, churning out chapters until it was done.  I wish I could write that way all the time.  I probably could if I just stuck to Nick cancer stories because Curtain Call was my other choice for easiest LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44