Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110560 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »

I have virtually read just about everything you have written  on the site so can ya blame me lol I always tell you you're my favorite author at AC. I mean it.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »

lol aww Tracy you rock.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

I have virtually read just about everything you have written  on the site so can ya blame me lol I always tell you you're my favorite author at AC. I mean it.

I appreciate that! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #333 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »

Thanks, Rose. I always wondered if it's Why that people attach to me or not. I'm kind of glad it is and not all the groundhog stories! lol

Modern classics - hrmm this is a tough one because I don't really pay much attention to when things were written, but I shall do my best.

Broken - It was one of the first stories that I can say I enjoyed the female lead throughout the entire thing. The way Julie introduced Clare was so subtle and she became so real, that by the time that relationship turned into an actual relationship, I was already a fan. Plus it had such a creative storyline, I mean we've all seen the cancer thing done a thousand times, but to chop Nick's leg off was a pretty epically awesome idea. I know she does not agree, but I still think it's Julie's best story.

I think of your suspense stories first when I think of you, Mare, maybe because that's what I read first and what I've read most by you, but probably just because you do it so well!!

And thank you!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »

Aww, thank you! I would  hope people think suspense and mean cliffies when my name comes up. LOL But fishing and Nick falling out of windows is okay too.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »

Modern Classics - I can't remember when it was written but I'd definitely say It Stays With You, and Why I'd Do It All Again. "MINE" is a moment never forgotten and Why is just hilarious LOL.

I'd also say Curtain Call, it's just an amazing story I hope is always associated to Julie cause even though I adore Broken, I do think CC is the better story. Finding Brotherhood is another. I wish Mersey had that posted here! But at least it's still on the internet so I'm okay with that.

Mare, I fully agree about YBS. It's one of those rare stories where yes she can update in 10 years and I'd still go reread and read the update! LOL

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #336 on: June 29, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

I was going to say Finding Brotherhood, but I thought that might have been too old to be considered a modern classic. LOL

Thanks, Rose! :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #337 on: June 29, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »

I can't remember when it was written so I decided to hell with it LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #338 on: July 05, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »

In the oldies thread, Pammy posted a great question so I'm re-posting it here!

All this talk about old stories and writers has made me nostalgic and has made me go on a scavenger hunt for some of the old stories.  It has also made me reflect on my "fan fiction life."  I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here's my question for all of you: What was it like for you, both as a reader and/or writer, to send/receive that first feedback?

As I've mentioned before, my first feedback was sent to Chaos for "Ground Zero."  I had the feeling that I wanted to say something, but I didn't know what to say.  I just didn't want to sound stupid!  So in an e-mail, I said I'm loving your story and thanks for sharing.  I know, totally fangirl, right! But I really didn't know what to say.  But, to my surprise, I got a reply from Chaos saying thanks, I would did I really like about the story.  If not for that reply, I think most of my feedback/reviews would be like that first one.  But I was given permission to discuss my thoughts with the creator of the story.....it was pretty heady for me!

So, what was your first time like?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

Good question!  I remember the first piece of fanfic I recieved for the first story I posted anywhere, Heartache.  It came about a month after my story was online, which was super exciting for me because I wasn't expecting feedback at all.  I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was an email from a girl named Heidi, who went on to become my first online friend after I replied to her and we started exchanging emails.  It turned out she was a Brian fan too and liked the same kind of stories I did.  She wrote, too, and had a website, so she started hosting me, and eventually I started my site and started hosting her, and then we starting writing together.  I guess the fact that we became friends through a piece of feedback shows how much it meant to me.

I don't remember the first piece of feedback I sent, but it may not have been until after I started writing (in fact, it may have been to Heidi, for all I know).  I don't think I realized how little feedback most fanfic writers actually get and how much it means to them until I started writing myself.  Plus, I was probably a little shy about sending emails to total strangers.  It seems silly now, but I was only 14 and paranoid about giving out any kind of personal info over the internet (which I wish today's 14 years olds still were!).
~Julie

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »

It seems silly now, but I was only 14 and paranoid about giving out any kind of personal info over the internet (which I wish today's 14 years olds still were!).

I teach at an elementary school, and the number of kids who have facebook and twitter accounts, and post selfies and their locations is scary!  :o
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »

I don't actually remember who I sent feedback to first, technically but I do know it was either Jenna and Swenglish or Chaos. The whole idea of emailing strangers was kind of weird to me as well, Julie. I was kind of shy and so new to this whole fanfic thing, I had no clue what I was even going to say.

I think my first review was probably really generic, like I really loved what you wrote blah blah blah! I don't think Chaos ever wrote back to my original one because in all fairness to him I read it off of a site where Ground Zero was actually not complete so who knows if he ever even got the email. I was really happy when Swenglish answered my feedback though. I'm not sure if I heard back from both of them. I think it was just Kris that replied.

I also sent feedback to Kat and Amy for Can You Keep a Secret and they responded right away.

I think when I started writing, the first real feedback I got in the form of an email was from Kat as well as Swenglish which I did fangirl over as well. LOL

We all developed a bond through mutual admiration and it stayed strong for many years. Sadly, I lost touch with Kris but I still consider Kat and Amy two of my best BSB buds. I love them both to death and would have never ever gotten to know them if it hadn't been for giving them feedback and responding to feedback. Which is once again why I think it is so important! I honestly think that's how I became friends with mostly everyone in this fandom! Because I took the time to either review their stuff or respond to their reviews and obviously they did the same.

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2014, 05:32:08 PM »

Good question!  I remember the first piece of fanfic I recieved for the first story I posted anywhere, Heartache.  It came about a month after my story was online, which was super exciting for me because I wasn't expecting feedback at all.  I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was an email from a girl named Heidi, who went on to become my first online friend after I replied to her and we started exchanging emails.  It turned out she was a Brian fan too and liked the same kind of stories I did.  She wrote, too, and had a website, so she started hosting me, and eventually I started my site and started hosting her, and then we starting writing together.  I guess the fact that we became friends through a piece of feedback shows how much it meant to me.

I know feedback is the reason why most my online friendships occurred!  We'd exchange e-mails about a story and move onto conversations about health problems and exchanging recipes.  ;D
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #343 on: July 05, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »

I teach at an elementary school, and the number of kids who have facebook and twitter accounts, and post selfies and their locations is scary!  :o

I agree! In fact I put my twitter on private because I get too many of them trying to find me on there! Same with facebook! Ugh these kids grow up too fast!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #344 on: July 05, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

I teach at an elementary school, and the number of kids who have facebook and twitter accounts, and post selfies and their locations is scary!  :o

I know!!  I didn't know you were a teacher too! :)  What do you teach?
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44