Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110425 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »

^ Excuse me while I gag in a corner ... would you like me to write a descriptive piece about that?!?! LOL

^ Perfectly said!!

In relation to the part about alternating POV, I have found myself looking at the chapter lengths and worrying that I'm not giving each character an equal amount of "voice time".  For instance, if I write a Nick chapter that's 3000 words long and then I write a Howie chapter that's only 1500 words long then I feel as though I've short-changed Howie. I find that I feel this way even if Howie's chapter was way more action packed then Nick's. I know it's about the content and not about the word count, but it still nags at me. Perhaps that's a little bit of OCD coming out though.  :P

Um...no, you may skip that! And poor Howie. He always gets short changed by people! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »

Julie all your questions always involve research! LOL I have a gazillion stories on this site I'd have to go through to answer that question. But now I'm curious so I'll have to go check!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

LOL I just did a quick scroll through mine and only the ones that I knew had long chapters.  I figured it would either be BMS or Undead.  I've been surprisingly more concise with the stuff I've written more recently.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »

In relation to the part about alternating POV, I have found myself looking at the chapter lengths and worrying that I'm not giving each character an equal amount of "voice time".  For instance, if I write a Nick chapter that's 3000 words long and then I write a Howie chapter that's only 1500 words long then I feel as though I've short-changed Howie. I find that I feel this way even if Howie's chapter was way more action packed then Nick's. I know it's about the content and not about the word count, but it still nags at me. Perhaps that's a little bit of OCD coming out though.  :P

LOL I am totally like that too.  Oddly enough, it was Nick who was getting the short end of the stick at the beginning of my new Nick/Howie fic, but only because Howie's parts were just more interesting.  Yay Howie!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »

So I went and did a search and decided to not even bother looking at my way older stories for the longest chapters and I figured it would come from Why I'd Do it All Again and I was right. Chapter 20 titled "So that’s why God invented Garbage Bags and Backpacks" was 4,762 words. I don't even remember that chapter lol but there ya go!

As far as shortest I was almost positive it was Mizpah because I was a writing hot mess when I wrote that one and sure enough the second chapter weighed in at a whopping 243 words!! lmao I probably thought that was SO long when I wrote that. You guys have to remind me to submit this one into the reading challenge next year because I would love to get a present take on this one! 243 words *snort*

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »

LOL!  Girl, I got you beat - I found one of my old chapters (Chapter 5 of "Where You Are") that is only 228 words!  Can you believe it?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »

LMAO!!! That's awesome!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #382 on: July 09, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »

Look how far we've come LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »

We should have written a collab back then! LOL maybe together we would have been able to make at least a 500 word chapter!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »

Longest chapter for me was chapter 28 of Finding
Carter where Nick learns to drive and finally gets his driving license, and then gets Brian to call his mother because he's been avoiding her. A lot of the chapters in that story are pretty long and over 1,200 words too which for me is long. Shortest chapter is probably the prologue of Figured You Out.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »

We should have written a collab back then! LOL maybe together we would have been able to make at least a 500 word chapter!

LMAO!
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #386 on: July 10, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »

My longest chapter is from My Answer Is You with 2100+ words in chapter 18. I tend to like shorter chapters. I have a hard time reading as it is in general and with longer chapters I have a hard time focusing without just going completely burned out. Even though I am a binge reader .

Even when I write I know I leave out a lot of detail...and that is probably due to my inability to be able to describe something in general. Seems silly but I have always had trouble but now that I have rambled I prefer smaller chapters :)
~Carter~

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #387 on: July 11, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

As a reader, I never take notice of the word count.  It's not how many words are used, but how the words are used. I need the words to supply the images in my head.  For example, if the scene is set in a kitchen, I really don't need every appliance described; however, if the scene is set in the woods, I want to know what the character hears, is the area dense with trees, etc.  I don't have a preference of chapter lengths, either.  As long as the story flows, I'm good. 
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #388 on: July 11, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »

^ It's always great to get the reader's perspective on things. :) Thanks, Pammy!

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #389 on: July 11, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »

:)
Pammy Whammy
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44