Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110425 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »

Yeah as writers I feel we're way more OCD about things lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »

I have come to notice that depending on the boy we enjoy the most, sometimes our view of how they get along with the others is different. For instance, I tend to notice how most Brian fans still think Nick and Brian are really tight and very Frick and Frack-ish while maybe Nick and Howie fans tend to think he and Howie are best buds. And of course those of us that love Kevin and Nick's relationship to each other. (Even though I am one of those people that think Nick and Howie are BFFs lol)So this leads me to my question.

When you write about the boys, how do you lump them in terms of friendship? Do you tend to think back to the cliched days when it was Frick and Frack, AJ and Howie and Kevin left all alone or do you see it as some other way? Are they all equal relationship wise or are some closer than others? Just curious what everyone's take is on this.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »

I used to think of them as Frick and Frack, AJ and Howie, and Kevin with a stick up his ass, wondering how he got stuck in the same group with them LOL.  Nowadays, though, I don't think of them in terms of who's BFFs with whom.  It seems like they are all good friends.  That's not to say they're all necessarily equal relationship wise; Nick and Howie do seem especially tight these days, and Kevin has been hanging out with them a lot since coming back too.

As far as writing goes, I tend to focus on whichever relationships best serve my story.  As a Brian girl, I love writing about Brian and Nick's friendship, but my current novel is a Nick/Howie one, and that's been fun for me too.  I have an idea for a Kevin story down the road, and I would probably focus mainly on Kevin and Nick's friendship in that one.

I've always really liked Brian and AJ paired together too (not in a slashy way).  They are like a yin and yang - they're such opposites, but they compliment each other so well.  I've probably posted this before, but this video sums up Brian and AJ for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfTuzEkNkQ  The way they just bounce back and forth off each other is hilarious.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

I said this earlier today in a review, but I will say it again now. I think every single fanfic writer needs to write at least one Nick and Kevin story in their lifetime. Just for me! LOL and they both have to live, they aren't mounting each other and no girl is involved. I'm picky and demanding!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »

LOL Yes ma'am!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »

YAY!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

I said this earlier today in a review, but I will say it again now. I think every single fanfic writer needs to write at least one Nick and Kevin story in their lifetime. Just for me! LOL and they both have to live, they aren't mounting each other and no girl is involved. I'm picky and demanding!

No.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »

Boo!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »

In terms of answering my own question, it depends on the time period I'm writing. I don't think I've ever written quite the cliched way with Nick and Brian in one corner, AJ and Howie in the other and Kevin off to the side, but probably because Kevin has always been my favorite. LOL I think when I do write past tense fics, I tend to make Nick and Brian very close along with Kevin. I've never really gotten the whole AJ and Howie thing. Even back then I would have put Howie and Kevin together and AJ off to the side.

In present day, I do think they all have a special connection to each other. I mean how couldn't they? They've been together for so long now. I think each one of them share a connection with one another maybe with the exception of Brian and Howie, but even those two I think try to share their love of God, church and family as a common thread. I do think Nick and Brian will always have a special bond but I have always felt that while Nick clearly worships the ground Brian walks on, it's never fully been reciprocated.  I tend to showcase the bond between Howie and Nick more these days because to me they seem to be pretty close although as a threesome including Kevin, that works too.

I agree that I think AJ and Brian have a special connection as well. I also think Kevin and AJ have a lovely friendship. Unfortunately for AJ though, since I hardly ever feel him creatively, I don't usually go down his road very much. (sorry AJ)

I haven't really explored Nick and AJ's relationship either for that reason. I really want to because I think those two have a great chemistry as well.

Everyone knows Kevin and Nick will always be my favorite relationship to showcase though. ^ see above.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:26:43 PM by mare »

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »

When I first became a fan, I always saw the group as being kind of divided. For me, it was Brian and Nick, Kevin and Howie, and AJ was like neutral ground (happy on his own or as part of either of the two other groups). I actually find it a bit strange that everyone seemed to see AJ and Howie as being a strong pair. I never saw that. Weird.

In terms of writing, I love bringing the cliche Frick and Frack pairing into the present day. Since I'm a Brian girl, it's hard for me not to see Brian and Nick as being close. I know that they definitely weren't for a long while, but it seems like they're becoming closer again (or perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part).

I also love writing Brian and AJ together. Let's face it, the two of them are kind of hilarious when you pair them up.

Even to this day, I will group Kevin and Howie because they are the oldest and come across as being the most calm and level headed. I can actually see them getting along really well in real life.

I don't really see a big connection between AJ and Kevin. Nor do I see one between Brian and Howie. Those are the pairings that I will avoid because I really have no idea what I would write about (other than a fight scene perhaps - LOL)

This would be nearly impossible for me! While I love the Nick/Kevin pairing, I don't think that I could write a whole story just about the two of them. Although it may work out if I were to have them "mount" each other ... LOL - KIDDING!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »

I think the AJ/Howie thing stems from the fact that they knew each other before the group started.  I do think they were good friends back in the day because of that, but I'm not sure now.  Obviously they're still friends, but I don't see them doing stuff outside of work like Howie and Nick have been known to do.  You would think Howie and Kevin would be a thing, since they were the two adults when the group started and have always seemed a lot more mature than the other three, but that's not a pairing I've seen explored much in stories.

I do think AJ and Kevin have a special connection that comes from the whole rehab thing and AJ crediting Kevin with saving his life by forcing the issue.  Kinda like the story of Kevin giving Nick that book that he finally read years later and wrote about in his book.

I'm with you on the Brian and Howie thing though... which is weird, considering how similar they are, at least in terms of being so devoted to their families, religious, etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:41:30 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »

I don't think I have done any other conbo than the Brian/Nick one because I really enjoy writing group stories. Although I did explore some in one shots. That's something I'd like to tackle eventually because I have tried so many things already.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #402 on: July 18, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »

People probably shy away from writing Howie and Kevin because it seems like most people tend to have trouble writing those two in general. I love putting Kevin and Howie scenes in my stories because I do think they are pretty tight as well.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #403 on: July 18, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »

^ LOL That would be me.  I am trying to branch out of my little Nick, Brian, and occasionally AJ bubble, but still, the thought of writing a story solely about Kevin and Howie and their friendship is not very appealing to me.  I think they're more interesting when paired with one of the others.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »

Another question: Of the  stories you've written, list how many are Group centric, Nick centric, Kevin centric, AJ centric so on and so forth. Not including one shots, only novels.

Have you ever made a conscience effort to try to write in one boy's point of view that you usually do not and how hard was that for you?

Do you find of those novels depending on the boy you center it around, is one more popular than the other reader wise?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44