Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110417 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #555 on: July 24, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

I find it easier to write in third person but I know I have first person out there because it fits the plot line better.

I did start Chronos Project in first and third, it would have been a completely different story in first as it would have been a different plot completely.  The third person POV flowed easier and faster so that is what I stuck with.

I would probably want to go back and fix Chronos Project.  I like the idea but I think I rushed on some points and really think I should have thought other things through. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #556 on: July 24, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »

How does everyone come up with scenarios?  Tv? Real life events? Things you see in the neighborhood?
~Carter~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #557 on: July 24, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »

I pull from all over, books, movies, TV shows, life, my dreams.. thinking about 'what if' situations.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #558 on: July 24, 2014, 02:18:41 PM »

What has been your best idea, but poorest execution?  Meaning, the idea itself was good, but it could have been written so much better.

I thought of this question yesterday when I was listening to music while getting ready and the song "I Hope You Dance" came on my playlist, which was a blast from the past and reminded me of a story I wrote that was inspired by that song, "Beside the Ocean."  It's about Nick, who is a depressed hot mess who has attempted suicide, befriending a girl with an inoperable brain tumor.  They fall in love, of course, and she teaches him to appreciate life.  It's kind of cliche, but I have always loved the pairing of this person who hates his life so much, he was ready to throw it all away, with someone who loves life and desperately wants to live, but knows she's going to die.  There's a lot of angst in that, and I know I could write it with so much more emotional depth now than I did when I was 16.  It's not a horribly-written story, but it could be a lot better.  I don't think I would ever try to re-write it, though.  I've found it's hard to stay inspired when re-writing something.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #559 on: July 24, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »

How does everyone come up with scenarios?  Tv? Real life events? Things you see in the neighborhood?

Honestly, I tend to draw inspiration from other stories, whether they're in fanfics, books, TV shows, or movies.  I try not to copy other people's ideas, but a lot of my stories started off as a twist on something I'd read or seen.

Sometimes I just start with a genre or a type of story I'd like to write and see if I can come up with an idea for it.

Once I get the premise for the story figured out, I use more real life inspiration for the smaller scenarios, settings, and characters within the story.
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #560 on: July 24, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »

Honestly, I tend to draw inspiration from other stories, whether they're in fanfics, books, TV shows, or movies.  I try not to copy other people's ideas, but a lot of my stories started off as a twist on something I'd read or seen.

Sometimes I just start with a genre or a type of story I'd like to write and see if I can come up with an idea for it.

Once I get the premise for the story figured out, I use more real life inspiration for the smaller scenarios, settings, and characters within the story.

I am the same way. All Of Your life was compleltly based off when i met my hubby in world of warcraft. And then i just added to that. Jane is based off my mil even though we all know nicks mom is terrible my mil isnt at times lol.

Southern Comfort came from watching the ID discovrry crime channel lol. But i watch a lot of tv so most of my ideas come from there. I have a hard time reading books i read poorly so its hard to get into a book sometimes
~Carter~

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #561 on: July 24, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »

What has been your best idea, but poorest execution?  Meaning, the idea itself was good, but it could have been written so much better.

Sadly this is probably Running Up That Hill. I think the idea of writing something about the boys being on the Black and Blue break was good, with the additional insight of it being ten years after the fact (well uh it was when I started writing it LOL) but placing the restrictions of having each chapter be equal to one day of them break and having all 4 POVs in those chapters made it a very limiting way to tell the story and is definitely the reason it's taken me so long to finish it.

How does everyone come up with scenarios?  Tv? Real life events? Things you see in the neighborhood?

My ideas come from a variety of places. Usually they come from songs, sometimes events in real life that I extrapolate and create a story around.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #562 on: July 24, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »

Southern Comfort came from watching the ID discovrry crime channel lol.

Haha, that's awesome!  I love the ID channel.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #563 on: July 24, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »

Sadly this is probably Running Up That Hill. I think the idea of writing something about the boys being on the Black and Blue break was good, with the additional insight of it being ten years after the fact (well uh it was when I started writing it LOL) but placing the restrictions of having each chapter be equal to one day of them break and having all 4 POVs in those chapters made it a very limiting way to tell the story and is definitely the reason it's taken me so long to finish it.

*gasp* I disagree!!  I can see why you would say the way you wrote it was limiting, and I do wish you would finish it, but once you do, it's going to be amazing!  I wouldn't consider it poorly executed at all!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #564 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »

Well thank you :) I have been working on it off and on lately, actually. I think I only have 6 or 7 chapters left to write before it's complete.

There's a question: What story took you the longest to write?

Because for me it's Running Up That Hill going on 4 years lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #565 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »

Oh yay!!  That's great to hear!  I didn't know if you were still working on it or not.

If I only count stories that are finished or definitely will be finished in the foreseeable future, the one that's taken me longest to write is Song for the Undead.  Rose and I started writing it almost exactly six years ago and are hoping to be done by October.

On my own, By My Side and Secrets of the Heart both took me almost four years to finish.  The difference was that I worked consistently on BMS that whole time, while Secrets was always just a side project until the summer I finished it.
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #566 on: July 24, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »

I think my answer is you..took me almost two years. I started it when I was pregnant...wor ked on it throughout my pregnancy...ha d Luke..got pregnant four months later with Alana.and it didnt get finished until a little after she was born...then took a six year hiatus on writing
~Carter~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #567 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »

Lol my longest story to write is Undead. Bush was still president when we started that story :-P.

And I fully agree with Julie about Running Up That Hill.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #568 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:29 PM »

Thanks Rose :)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #569 on: July 27, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »

Do you ever feel like everything you write reminds you of something else you've already written?  I feel like I am always recycling storylines or at least certain elements from other stories.

What has been your most unique (for you) story and why?
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44