Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110438 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #570 on: July 27, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »

How does everyone come up with scenarios?  Tv? Real life events? Things you see in the neighborhood?

It depends, sometimes I pull from real life events tat happen to the boys mostly. Like when they lived together in that house in London (Scattered Pictures) or when they were back together after their hiatus (Why Id' Do it all Again) but mostly things just kind of pop in my head, usually in the form of dreams.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #571 on: July 27, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »

Do you ever feel like everything you write reminds you of something else you've already written?  I feel like I am always recycling storylines or at least certain elements from other stories.

What has been your most unique (for you) story and why?

I really do, especially lately. I have a couple new ideas for novel-length fics but they're just very similar to things I've done in the past. I have used the friends to lovers and forbidden love tropes a few times each now. There were unique elements to each of those stories that made them different but I still felt like I was writing very similar scenes a lot of the time.

The one I just finished was probably the most unique for me because it was a cancer fic and I'd never written a medical drama before. All of that was new for me and because it felt fresh I really enjoyed writing it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #572 on: July 27, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

I don't know if I recycle ideas. I have been on a serious bromance kick lately lol, but I still try to keep it fresh. By far my most unique is RMTW though, or Undead.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #573 on: July 27, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »

Do you ever feel like everything you write reminds you of something else you've already written?  I feel like I am always recycling storylines or at least certain elements from other stories.

I feel like I am constantly stealing my own ideas or sometimes I'll come up with a line and then think "Wait, did I use that already?" lol

As far as unique storyline. You're probably talking about novels and not short stories but I felt like my haunted house story was by far the most unique thing I've ever written. I have to say I've never written in a house's POV before. As far as novels, probably Whatever the Night May Bring because it was my first whirl at sci fi. Even though it's not really the most original storyline, for me it was... just because of the genre.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #574 on: July 27, 2014, 10:28:53 PM »

Do you ever feel like everything you write reminds you of something else you've already written?  I feel like I am always recycling storylines or at least certain elements from other stories.

all the freaking time! "All Of Your Life" & "My Answer Is You" is almost the same story really. Only difference is how Nick was met lol.  My Answer is You was written while i was pregnant with Luke i was maybe only 2 months along or something like that. I came up with this storyline and I just ran with it.

All of Your Life was written on how my life is kinda based now. I really did meet Art in World of Warcraft...and I do have two kids...and I had miscarriages.. and my MIL can be a physco at times lol. So All Of Your Life is more unique i guess to me cause most of its "real" to me lol.

Right now Southern Comfort will be an interesting write as well once I get going on it. I got my idea from ID Discovery and I am excited to write it lol.
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #575 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »

I'm glad it's not just me!  I think certain genres that tend to follow more of a "formula" give you that feeling.  Steph, it's funny that you mentioned your medical drama because, for me, those are always the ones that give me that feeling like "I've written this before" - but that's because I probably have!  Once you've written a few of those, it's kind of all the same old stuff with slightly different situations.  I could see romance being the same way.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #576 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »

As far as the unique storyline question, it could be any kind of story.  The one that came to mind first for me is my short story Hybrid, the killer monkey one I wrote for the April Fool's challenge a few years ago.  It was a sci-fi, which is not a genre I usually write it, and I wrote it in present tense, which is also not how I usually write, so that made it really unique for me.

If we're talking novels, mine would be 00Carter because of all the crazy action, suspense, and sci-fi stuff I've written for that - totally out of my element, but that's what makes it fun.  I don't think I've ever had that feeling of "Haven't I written this before?" with that one LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #577 on: July 27, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »

Okay why did 00carter slip my mind? Lol. That story is definitely the most random novel I've been a part of.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #578 on: July 28, 2014, 01:00:05 AM »

I was enjoying reading the conversation about concrit in the challenge suggestions thread and thought it would be a good topic to discuss more generally in here.

What has been the most helpful piece of constructive criticism you've gotten, and what has been the most (for lack of a better word) hurtful?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #579 on: July 28, 2014, 07:48:56 AM »

Most creative story I have ever written?  Not sure I have a answer for that one.

But for concrit, the worst one was not even in a review, it was something I saw online. It was said out of anger and although I finally did get an apology, someone saying your writing is shitty kind of affected me. I have not been able to get motivation to write since. I also know that my writing is NOT shitty, but it still hurt. I am my own worst critic.

The most helpful came from Rose during the reading challenge this summer. I have trouble with dialogue tags sometimes. I appreciate her trying to help me with that because I do want to be a better writer.

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #580 on: July 28, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »

None of the concrit was really hurtful i was just more or less sad. I didnt realize my writing had gone to crap so to speak. My grammar is all over the place lol. But Mare did help me figure some stuff out and i am exremely greatful :)

I am just my own wordt enemy when i write espeically when it was about my own personal experiences. Maybe another reason why i took it so hard.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #581 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »

I wish I had an answer for concrit but sadly I really don't, fanfic wise. No one really ever gives me concrit. I'm not exactly sure why. I even make sure I submit my older stories just to get some thoughts about what I could have done better but it never really happens. I know I need improvement on things I just usually get people who focus on what's going on in the story instead of the actual writing, which I also enjoy! but for challenge purposes, especially on the older stories, it would be nice. I mean, I also get why sometimes things aren't mentioned because if you are someone who has read most of my stuff, you could probably see improvement in which case, it makes sense not to bring attention to things, but for people who hadn't read a whole lot of me and just had one of my really crappy stories like my Cough Medicine one to judge, it would be nice to hear someone say "Yikes! What was that all about?" lmao yes, I'm asking someone to tell me I suck!

I did greatly appreciate Erika and her feelings towards my over-use of Kevin calling Nick "Baby" That was and is incredibly creepy but at the time I thought it was endearing and saw lots of fanfics where he did that. LOL

Most helpful concrit didn't come from fanfic world but from Brian Thorton who is a fellow writer and editor. He suggested that I forget the word 'very' existed to try to force myself to come up with as many adjectives as possible to replace it. Same with any other word that you might use too many times. In my case it was very. lol
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:07:16 AM by mare »

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #582 on: July 28, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »

I did greatly appreciate Erika and her feelings towards my over-use of Kevin calling Nick "Baby" That was and is incredibly creepy but at the time I thought it was endearing and saw lots of fanfics where he did that. LOL

You're welcome! Hahaha - the nickname "baby" irks me in general.  :P

Mare, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that people don't give you concrit on your older stories because they know that you have improved. This was especially true for me while I was reading you story for the challenge. I knew that it was an older story and I had read (and loved) Hope, so I already knew that you had grown as a writer. Also, I think that concrit is a bit harder to give when, as a reader, you are truly invested in the story line. If the plot is really interesting then I tend to gloss over small mistakes and just focus on what is happening to the characters.

Most helpful concrit didn't come from fanfic world but from Brian Thorton who is a fellow writer and editor. He suggested that I forget the word 'very' existed to try to force myself to come up with as many adjectives as possible to replace it. Same with any other word that you might use too many times. In my case it was very. lol

I love this piece of advice!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #583 on: July 28, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »

Not to sound like I'm stroking my own ego but I do think all my story ideas are fairly creative  ... though 00Carter is the most random HA!

The most hurtful 'concrit' I've received wasn't really what you'd think of of concrit... My mom asked my friend Amanda, when she was talking about helping me edit Chronos Project to maybe make it OF, if I learned how to write the middle of a story yet...  ouch....

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #584 on: July 28, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »

You're welcome! Hahaha - the nickname "baby" irks me in general.  :P

Mare, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that people don't give you concrit on your older stories because they know that you have improved. This was especially true for me while I was reading you story for the challenge. I knew that it was an older story and I had read (and loved) Hope, so I already knew that you had grown as a writer. Also, I think that concrit is a bit harder to give when, as a reader, you are truly invested in the story line. If the plot is really interesting then I tend to gloss over small mistakes and just focus on what is happening to the characters.

I love this piece of advice!

As I was writing my reply to Julie's question, it kind of dawned on me that it was most likely that scenario because I have done the same thing. Also, I guess when a story is older people sometimes go into it thinking, well it's old it's not like what I have to say is going to make her change things... lol

When I read, most of the times I concentrate more on plot and storyline as well and less on grammar and technique unless the need occurs. If it's a really workable plot, I tend to ignore small things too. I just tend to get overly picky on the challenges. Eh, it's my job I guess. lol

Oh, Brian also said this - when writing in someone's POV, never use things like "He thought to himself" because that is already implied.  Also avoid mentioning who the person is talking to if there is only one other person in the room.  

Of course the huge one is try avoiding "he said" after a quote. "I really suck at that one!" I just said! LMAO

Instead put that person's name inside the quote even when it's multiple people it breaks up the monotony of he said , she said etc...
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44