Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 63745 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:34 PM »

Halfway there survey

Name of story: A Dash of Cinnamon

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yup, it's pretty straight forward

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? I'm not sure. I don't feel like I've really connected with any one particular character as of yet. I guess if I had to choose I would say Brian because he's going through so many different kinds of emotions.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a love triangle and I know which way it'll end at this point.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?  So far, so good. It eludes to something that clearly hasn't happened in the story yet, so I'll be able to tell better at the end I suppose.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? Not really, no. It's fairly predictable. Not a bad thing, though!

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. Probably not. I would never voluntarily read a Brian-centered fic because I find him incredibly one-dimensional as a character and if I'm going to read a romance I am VERY picky so Brian + romance = Zzzz for me.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) No, not at all. It's excellently written!

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? What, if any, of your own life experiences have you put into this story?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2014, 03:42:40 AM »

In response to Julilly, no I don't typically read AU, which
Is quite interesting considering that I have written it before. I still enjoyed the story though.

The story is fine but it would have been interesting to see more of an investigation when it came to Brian. I felt it was odd he was dismissed as a suspect so quickly, but I wasn't bothered too much by it.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. Probably not. I would never voluntarily read a Brian-centered fic because I find him incredibly one-dimensional as a character and if I'm going to read a romance I am VERY picky so Brian + romance = Zzzz for me.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? What, if any, of your own life experiences have you put into this story?

HAHA! - I have quickly come to realize that there are very few people out there who want to read a Brian centered fic (let alone a romance). I hope you are not finding it too sleep-inducing!!  :P

I haven't really added any of my own life experiences into the story (aside from Kayla's nationality). I have inserted some characters that I know in real life into the story (the gay couple and their dogs were modeled after my old neighbours), and I've drawn on my experiences with pre-teens to build Baylee's character. That's pretty much it though.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »

HAHA! - I have quickly come to realize that there are very few people out there who want to read a Brian centered fic (let alone a romance). I hope you are not finding it too sleep-inducing!!  :P

I haven't really added any of my own life experiences into the story (aside from Kayla's nationality). I have inserted some characters that I know in real life into the story (the gay couple and their dogs were modeled after my old neighbours), and I've drawn on my experiences with pre-teens to build Baylee's character. That's pretty much it though.

This list is for you: http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/canadian-foods?bffb Number 18 in particular! LOL

I liked the tidbit that you know the neighbour couple in real life. I think that was a nice touch!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2014, 07:08:12 AM »

This list is for you: http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/canadian-foods?bffb Number 18 in particular! LOL

This just made me immensely happy to be Canadian!! - LOL - The majority of the things on that list are delicious!  :drools: I'm still amazed by the Smarties thing, and I had no idea that you couldn't buy All Dressed chips in the states (although I did know that you can't find Ketchup Chips and Coffee Crisp). Haha!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »

Your Smarties look way better than our Smarties!  Also, Crush Pink Cream Soda?  I may need to move to Canada!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »

This just made me immensely happy to be Canadian!! - LOL - The majority of the things on that list are delicious!  :drools: I'm still amazed by the Smarties thing, and I had no idea that you couldn't buy All Dressed chips in the states (although I did know that you can't find Ketchup Chips and Coffee Crisp). Haha!

I did find the list awfully biased toward central Canada, but then again most of us outside of it always feel left out lol I was surprised by no Halifax donair! Also someone in the comments mentioned no butter tarts and I was like what?! There's no butter tarts in the US!? Not okay lol

But yes, the second I read the Smarties reference I was like "ooh she's Canadian!" and promptly started looking for words spelled in British English lol
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:26:46 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »

Your Smarties look way better than our Smarties!  Also, Crush Pink Cream Soda?  I may need to move to Canada!

Come for the cream soda, stay for the free healthcare LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »

Come for the cream soda, stay for the free healthcare LOL

LOL Right?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »

But there's no Code Red there :(.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »

I guess I could use the money saved on health insurance to import a steady supply of Code Red?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »

Hmm you make a good point. My only other problem is I know I'd never be able to handle the cold. I don't have a clue how you guys do it lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »

Hmm you make a good point. My only other problem is I know I'd never be able to handle the cold. I don't have a clue how you guys do it lol.

Haha!! Rose, it's not THAT cold. Although, I suppose it depends on where in Canada you live. If you live in southern Ontario with the majority of us then it's not sooo bad. You just need to invest in a good-quality toque.  ;)

Also, are you guys talking about Code Red Mountain Dew?? Every year all of the different Dew flavours appear in stores for a few months and we have a contest to determine which flavour will stick around for the rest of the year. LOL So, you could always just stock up on the Red stuff once a year.  :P Personally, I would take pink cream soda over any kind of Mountain Dew any day!!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2014, 08:01:39 AM »

Haha!! Rose, it's not THAT cold. Although, I suppose it depends on where in Canada you live. If you live in southern Ontario with the majority of us then it's not sooo bad.

Oh no. You're Upper Canadian? Just when I thought we could be pals... LOL

As much as I enjoy talking about Canada... Top Ten...aaaand GO!
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »

Actually this is the reading challenge thread  lol FAIL!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15