Fic Talk > General Discussion

A thread for everything

(1/4) > >>

mare:
Thought I’d start a new thread since the other one is kind of long. Just seeing how everyone is doing?

RokofAges75:
I haven't listened to the podcast yet. I did download Apple Music, not realizing you have to pay for a subscription?? One more reason to hate Apple. It's not unreasonable, but it pisses me off when most other music services - Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio - are free with ads. Also, I hate Apple LOL. I've been super busy this week anyway, so I may wait until they have several episodes up to start a free trial. Glad to hear it's good though!

RokofAges75:
I'm doing okay. Today was the first day of school with kids (in person), and it went so well! Things went smoothly with all the new procedures we have in place, and the kids wore their masks without complaint.  I was so proud of them!  So that makes me feel better about things. It has been very stressful leading up to this day though.  My administrators have been nothing but supportive and reassuring, but there have been so many unknowns and uncertainties, it's been hard to plan ahead.  I got a student teacher pawned off on me at the last minute yesterday after her neurotic cooperating teacher freaked out at the thought of being exposed to Covid by a college student and said she couldn't mentor her.  I also got a new student added to my roster at the end of the day, which messed up my perfectly, six-foot spaced rows of desks.  At one point, I was standing in the middle of my classroom with my tape measure literally sobbing yesterday as I moved desks around for at least the fourth time, trying to find a way to get them to all fit within the guidelines.  But I feel much better after meeting half the class today and seeing how things went.  It was so nice being back in my classroom with kids, even though I was exhausted by the end of the day.  My feet are killing me, and I'm hoarse from projecting my voice through a mask all day.  Gotta get back into teacher shape after 5 months of not being on my feet talking all day! LOL

mare:
Yikes! I’m glad your first day went well. Hopefully your second fist day goes just as well. I don’t envy you or anyone else who has to deal with this new way of life. I just hope it stays successful with not everyone ending up back in quarantine where we first started.

Can you imagine student teaching during this weird time? If I was in college during this pandemic I’d be so stressed out!

RokofAges75:
Second day was pretty good!  All the kids that were flagged as behavior problems came today, so the dynamic was a little different.  Nothing bad, just a lot of blurting out, whereas the first group was timid and quiet.  We are doing blended learning, so I have half the class each day while the other half learns at home, and then they switch.  It's awesome because I only have 10-11 kids per day, which is a huge change from my usual classes of 26-27.  It'll be interesting to compare day to day with two different groups of kids.

I told my new student teacher that while this may not be a "normal" year, it will prepare her for anything and everything!  (Except teaching 27 kids at the same time, apparently LOL.)  If you can teach during a pandemic, you can teach through anything.

I also hope we can stay in-person and not go full remote.  It's crazy how differently every district is doing it in my area.  Some schools went to full remote before school even started as a precaution.  Others are pretending there's not a pandemic happening and started normally, but with masks.  The town I live in currently has 10 cases at the high school and like 100 people quarantined, but they're still proceeding with full, five-day, in-person learning as if that's not problematic. *facepalm*  I think my district (in a different town) has a good balance and has put a lot of measures in place to keep everyone as safe as possible.  We're able to to maintain social distance because of the low class sizes, masks are mandated for everyone, we're checking everyone's temps, and we have sanitizing stations everywhere.  We'll see how it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version