Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (23/150) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: FrickingKaos on January 03, 2021, 09:00:31 PM ---
See, I'm doing this right now for If I Knew Then. I've written about them on tour before. In Weird World. But this is the first time I've ever followed an actual timeline because most of the time I don't have outlines of what I want to happen in my story. With this one I'm using a real timeline of actual events and it's helping a little bit, but I just have to fill in the rest with dialogue and whatnot. I feel like the timeline has helped tremendously to make the story more realistic. I have a general idea of what I'd like to happen. It's just getting there lol.
--- End quote ---

I see that you might be a pantser, circling back to a previous question. I think different things work for different people! So if it helps you, then I think it's worthwile.

Also, welcome to the thread Tracy! Good to see someone joining besides just Julie and I catching up on several years of discussion about writing. And the occasional Mare pop in.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 03, 2021, 09:19:43 PM ---I guess I always want to remember it as "Saw" leg choppage, even though I know it's not. OMG, poor Nick if he had the cancer, then the leg choppage, then the car accident, then the lung transplant, and then committed suicide. I'm laughing, but it feels so mean!

I remember hearing that one was good! I always love a good YA novel even as an adult.

--- End quote ---

That may be because of my avatar. ;)

LOL That sounds more like something from 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter... which, if you haven't come across yet, is a round robin Rose started back in 2011 that could always use new contributors. ;)  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10669  We're still 930 deaths short of our goal!

Yeah, The Running Dream was a great read!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 03, 2021, 09:19:43 PM ---That and a lot of the beginning has some suspicious seeming similarities with a manga that one of my friends handed me after I let them read some of PBox saying "I think you'll like this." And at the time I was like "Oh no!" and then "Oh well, it's a fanfic and I can always just say the truth, that I hadn't read it at the time." But if I did try to publish it, I would definitely have to overhaul some aspects of the beginning a lot for that reason. That and minimizing all the song imagery would be a hassle!

But as I've said, toyed. And I definitely thought about asking how it went for anyone who's done it. But again, I didn't want to derail my progress at this time and I also can't imagine Nick as anyone other than Nick and a "Nickolas" is a dead giveaway (versus a Nicholas). Also my poor husband would be so confused why my published novel has his name for the main character, not even considering Nick Carter... But I think if I did, I'd go for his appearance over name, since as I said both simultaneously seems suspect.

--- End quote ---

I just read a thread on Reddit the other day about that - the OP was worried his/her idea was too similar to other books/movies/whatever.  The basic advice that other posters gave was that no idea is truly original, and we all (published authors included) draw inspiration from other sources.  It's only plagiarism if you directly copy one source.  If you write something that is sort of similar to several other things combined, no problem!  That was reassuring to me because I am definitely inspired by what I read and watch.  But if you never even read that manga before writing PBox, then you definitely didn't copy anything.  You and that author just had a similar idea, and that's okay.

I don't think Nickolas is a dead giveaway, unless the other characters are named Brian, AJ, Howie, and Kevin.  Carter is not the only one who spells his name with a K instead of an H.  Also, I love that you married a Nick!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 03, 2021, 09:15:57 PM ---Yeah, it was a disaster.  I talked my original co-writer into revising it because I thought we could make it so much better than the original version, but she bailed on me shortly after we started.  So I recruited more co-writers to help me finish, and we basically wasted all our motivation on rewriting what was already there and then ran out of steam before we got around to continuing the story from that point.  This was my first time learning that huge collaborations don't last long, a lesson I would learn again with 00Carter LOL.
--- End quote ---

Was that back in the original days of Code Blue or more recently? Oh 00Carter. You always made me laugh. Wish I could go back to 2008 and write some more of that again.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 03, 2021, 09:15:57 PM ---I don't think I would ever try it with something like Broken that has flaws, but was well-liked by readers.  It would feel too much like George Lucas constantly going back and changing the original Star Wars trilogy.  Just leave it alone!  (I am not comparing Broken to Star Wars by any means. That is just the first example that came to mind of a writer taking something that people liked and messing with it much later.)
--- End quote ---

Go ahead and compare Broken to Star Wars, haha! That was my fear with PBox, but I feel like I haven't messed with it too much in a bad way? Maybe I have. Yo Tracy, you read the original PBox and said it was a favorite, have I messed with it in a bad way? I'm asking and I don't know if I'll care if the answer is "yes." I think it's especially weird that he continues to mess with them when he's not even writing or directing any of it anymore. I think I'd mind less if he was as heavily involved with it as he was with the original trilogy. Confession time, Attack of the Clones was so bad, I have seen none of them since.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 03, 2021, 09:15:57 PM ---What I've found myself sort of unintentionall y doing instead is taking ideas from my very old stories and writing new stories that take that basic idea and twist it into something totally different.  That has been more fun for me because I can explore some of the same topics that interested me back then, but write about them with more depth and maturity than I could have as a teenager.

That whole thing sounds like an exercise in torture to me! LOL  This is why I will never publish a novel unless I self-publish it because I can never see myself committing to that level of editing.

I have written several sex scenes, and I think I laughed through every one.  Especially the slashy ones!  So much giggling.  And they're probably all terrible!  But I tried LOL.

--- End quote ---

I think that's a great way to do it because there's always more than one was to tell a similar story.

I think self publishing versus publishing house publishing would depend on the story for me. I honestly don't know if I'd want to put the effort into self publishing? All the other product distribution type things that go into that sound like the headache to me.

You tried! Maybe I'll laugh about it without regrets then!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 03, 2021, 09:23:15 PM ---I love the nostalgia of reading a story set in the past.

--- End quote ---

Same! Especially for BSB fanfics. Take me back to the time when we all thought they lived in the same house in Florida together a la Big Brother.

OMG, hilarious story idea. Big Brother, but it's only the Backstreet Boys. You could call it Backstreet Brothers, haha. Someone must have done that already.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 03, 2021, 09:33:55 PM ---That may be because of my avatar. ;)

LOL That sounds more like something from 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter... which, if you haven't come across yet, is a round robin Rose started back in 2011 that could always use new contributors. ;)  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10669  We're still 930 deaths short of our goal!
--- End quote ---

You know, I think that has something to do with it and the fact that someone once said you were "she likes to chop people" instead of just "she writes Broken/BMS," haha. So in my head, it's always more intense chopping, even though, again, I know it's not.

I love that it's called "1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter" and there's only 70 of them. At this point, might "100 Ways" be more achievable? haha Is a way included that I've done that isn't there already? Because coming up with a whole new way sounds like a challenge...

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 03, 2021, 09:33:55 PM ---I just read a thread on Reddit the other day about that - the OP was worried his/her idea was too similar to other books/movies/whatever.  The basic advice that other posters gave was that no idea is truly original, and we all (published authors included) draw inspiration from other sources.  It's only plagiarism if you directly copy one source.  If you write something that is sort of similar to several other things combined, no problem!  That was reassuring to me because I am definitely inspired by what I read and watch.  But if you never even read that manga before writing PBox, then you definitely didn't copy anything.  You and that author just had a similar idea, and that's okay.

I don't think Nickolas is a dead giveaway, unless the other characters are named Brian, AJ, Howie, and Kevin.  Carter is not the only one who spells his name with a K instead of an H.  Also, I love that you married a Nick!

--- End quote ---

You're right on that which was part of my "oh well" with it at the time, like Star Wars is basically samurais in space. I think publishing though, there's too many similarities that I would feel bad doing that to one of my favorite manga artists, and worse yet on the whole copyright infringement biz. Poor PBox, I'd feel so sad if I got sued over it, especially having read it now and knowing that it has the potential to be an issue.

Yeah, but a blond haired blue eyed Nickolas in a boy band would be a dead giveaway, I think, even without running around with AJ, Brian, Kevin, and Howie. Especially if he had luscious locks of 90's hair.

My MOH said at my bridal shower, "The universe works in mysterious ways. If you really wanted to marry Nick Carter, you should have stopped being on a first name basis with him and been more specific." haha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version