Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (87/150) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 11, 2021, 05:42:23 PM ---I think I said this before, but first person helped me move past my purple prose phase.  You can't do purple prose in first person, or it sounds like Twilight LOL.  First person is fun and works well for stories where I only want to show one character's perspective (though I have written first person stories that switched between two narrators), but when I want to show the perspectives of more than one or two people, I stick with third person.  I usually write in third person limited, although which character's perspective it's limited to may switch from scene to scene or chapter to chapter.

--- End quote ---

It really does, because no one thinks purple prose. Well, sometimes I do when I'm being melodramatic on purpose in my head so I don't do something melodramatic out loud, but that's not too often.

As I've been fixing up this chapter, I've enjoyed the exercise in being more creative and thoughtful about Nick's reactions, because he can't ramble in his head like he normally would. And since they're all in the dark, I also have been focusing on sound more than I typically do, which is also fun. Thanks Brian for being a delight in story.

RokofAges75:
LOL Yeah, I am/was guilty of quite a few of those!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 23, 2007, 09:55:14 PM ---And yeah, I have used most of these cliches too.  Even the ones I say I don't like LOL.  I've done the best friends, the childhood best friends (slight difference there), the abused chick, the bus crash, the car crash, the plane crash, the cancer story, the kidnapping story, the stalker story, the Brian heart problems story (there's one no one has mentioned yet - though that one is not so popular anymore either), the love child after a one night stand, the drug abuse fic, the long lost fictional sibling (sort of - in reverse), the stranded on a deserted island fic (almost), the vampire fic, the ghost fic, the angel fic, the suicide attempt fic, the transplant fic, the sick child fic, the star-crossed lovers fic, the NSync-are-the-bad-guys fic, the girl group fic...

I am a walking cliche. :D

--- End quote ---

Accurate!

As for ways I've tried to actively subvert a cliche...

--- Quote from: mare on June 22, 2007, 08:00:31 PM ---Probably the biggest one in suspense is of course the stalker or kidnapper, Always directed at Nick and I am guilty of writing a few storylines with this plot as well lmao *hangs head in shame*

--- End quote ---

I wrote a story where Nick and Brian didn't know they had been kidnapped.

--- Quote from: mare on June 22, 2007, 08:00:31 PM ---The biggest cliche I have noticed in medical type dramas is the failure of the sick person (again usually Nick lol) to tell anyone he's sick until it's too late.

--- End quote ---

I'm guilty of using this one twice with Nick, but in my last "Nick has a disease" story, he went straight home from the doctor's office and told Lauren the truth.  Yay Nick!

--- Quote from: mare on June 22, 2007, 08:00:31 PM ---- the use of Frick and Frack

--- End quote ---

As a Frick & Frack girl, I'm sure I used to use these nicknames a lot, but I have made an effort to cut back.  I have an unofficial "Frick & Frack" quota in my stories now.  It's not a hard and fast number, but I only allow Brian and Nick to use those nicknames in certain situations.  They can use them if they're being cheesy on purpose, or they can use them in life or death situations when they're begging each other to hang on or stay away from the light or whatever, LOL.  Just not too many times; once or twice is most effective.  I have the same rule for Howie calling Nick "Nicky."  I will use it occasionally to be cute, and I will definitely bust it out to try to make readers cry, but only sparingly.

I will leave you with this, which cracked me up! LMAO

--- Quote from: julilly on June 23, 2007, 06:03:46 PM ---But seriously, if there's a bus crash that leads ultimately to Nick falling in love with a forest ranger then being diagnosed with cancer caused by tanning bed exposure and too much sex then a week later he finds out some chick he slept with had his child... write something else.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: mare on June 23, 2007, 06:23:27 PM ---Well that just killed my next story idea, thanks a lot! *deletes Swollen, Faceless chance encounter with Mare the gorgeous, pregnant best friend of Nick the kidnapped forest ranger* :(  <-- the title was too long anyways. lol

--- End quote ---

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 11, 2021, 06:37:32 PM ---As for ways I've tried to actively subvert a cliche...

I wrote a story where Nick and Brian didn't know they had been kidnapped.

I'm guilty of using this one twice with Nick, but in my last "Nick has a disease" story, he went straight home from the doctor's office and told Lauren the truth.  Yay Nick!
--- End quote ---

What did they think was happening instead of them getting kidnapped? A fun trip for ice cream?

Good for Nick. He's matured a lot when he gets diseases in your stories.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 11, 2021, 06:37:32 PM ---As a Frick & Frack girl, I'm sure I used to use these nicknames a lot, but I have made an effort to cut back.  I have an unofficial "Frick & Frack" quota in my stories now.  It's not a hard and fast number, but I only allow Brian and Nick to use those nicknames in certain situations.  They can use them if they're being cheesy on purpose, or they can use them in life or death situations when they're begging each other to hang on or stay away from the light or whatever, LOL.  Just not too many times; once or twice is most effective.  I have the same rule for Howie calling Nick "Nicky."  I will use it occasionally to be cute, and I will definitely bust it out to try to make readers cry, but only sparingly.
--- End quote ---

I try to limit my Frick & Frack usage to myself these days.

Although looking back at all those "Brian is Nick's guardian angel," maybe Nick is Brian's guardian angel?

Also I love Mare's joke stories. Mare, please just write down one scene from all of them somewhere. I just want to laugh again. I miss Mare/Julilly banter.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 23, 2007, 09:55:14 PM ---the NSync-are-the-bad-guys fic
--- End quote ---

I also want to point out that NSYNC isn't bad, they're just the heroes of another story!... written by an NSYNC fan. :D There's a version of PBox out there where Nick's an untamed monster and Justin has deep emotional issues he's too afraid and vulnerable to share with anyone.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 11, 2021, 06:56:01 PM ---What did they think was happening instead of them getting kidnapped? A fun trip for ice cream?

Good for Nick. He's matured a lot when he gets diseases in your stories.

--- End quote ---

They woke up in what they thought was a hospital.  But I would be down for a story where the kidnappers take them on a fun trip for ice cream... laced with drugs to subdue them.  Yay!

Aww I know, Nicky's growing up.  :patpat:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 11, 2021, 06:56:01 PM ---I try to limit my Frick & Frack usage to myself these days.

Although looking back at all those "Brian is Nick's guardian angel," maybe Nick is Brian's guardian angel?

--- End quote ---

If Nick is Brian's guardian angel, he needs to start giving better advice!  The devil on the other shoulder is winning.

:whip: "Make a video asking your fans to follow you to Parler."

:angel: "No, Frick!  Don't do it, bro!"

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 11, 2021, 06:56:01 PM ---Also I love Mare's joke stories. Mare, please just write down one scene from all of them somewhere. I just want to laugh again. I miss Mare/Julilly banter.

--- End quote ---

I second this.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 11, 2021, 07:13:13 PM ---They woke up in what they thought was a hospital.  But I would be down for a story where the kidnappers take them on a fun trip for ice cream... laced with drugs to subdue them.  Yay!
--- End quote ---

Yay! Look at all the fun sprinkles in that one! :wave:

(I just wanted to use some fun smilies.)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 11, 2021, 07:13:13 PM ---If Nick is Brian's guardian angel, he needs to start giving better advice!  The devil on the other shoulder is winning.
--- End quote ---

Let's be honest, the devil one is too busy doing this:

:whip: "Look what I can do!" *shoves whole fist in its mouth*

And the Angel is over here:

:angel: "No, Frick! Don't be a dick like everyone knows you are!"

So... advice is inconclusive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version