Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (116/150) > >>

RokofAges75:
Here's my three-day weekend writing update:

I finished "Chapter 20" last night, but it was so long, I ended up breaking it into two chapters, so now I'm also done with 21.  And since I have 21 chapters instead of 20, I will probably end up calling the last one 22 instead of an epilogue so I don't have to end on an odd number, because that would make my OCD sad.

Long story short, Bethlehem is a few pages from being finished!  Yay!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 18, 2021, 03:17:45 PM ---Irish/Gaelic names are hard!  So many are not spelled anywhere close to phonetically, for English-speakers anyway.  I'm guessing Jane has never met Saoirse and probably hadn't even spoken to Nick before that interview.  I think he pretty much cut her out of his life after the way she treated Lauren before their wedding.  And this is when Aaron was being awful to him too, accusing him of being a serial rapist and all that bullshit.  Nick is better off without them.  I'm glad he seems to get along well with Lauren's family - and he has a good relationship with Angel, too.  It's nice to see him so happy.
--- End quote ---

I think phonics is difficult in general and many languages have many words where the phonetic syllables are not standard. Japanese is the only one coming to mind that has hard an fast rules that if you see a syllable, it's going to be pronounced exactly the way you think it will be.

I missed out on a bunch of that wedding drama, but I did see all the Aaron being awful bs. I'm glad that Nick gets along well with Lauren's family, has his own little happy family, and has a good relationship with at least one of his siblings (though on a whole, he's for sure better off without the whole lot).

On the Aaron is dramatic train, I did enjoy an article I read once that was something akin to "Aaron's tattoo artist recommends against a face tattoo." And I was like, yo Aaron, if even your tattoo artist is saying not to get a face tattoo, don't get a face tattoo! haha

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 18, 2021, 03:24:32 PM ---Here's my three-day weekend writing update:

I finished "Chapter 20" last night, but it was so long, I ended up breaking it into two chapters, so now I'm also done with 21.  And since I have 21 chapters instead of 20, I will probably end up calling the last one 22 instead of an epilogue so I don't have to end on an odd number, because that would make my OCD sad.

Long story short, Bethlehem is a few pages from being finished!  Yay!

--- End quote ---

Whoo! You're a champ! Don't make your OCD sad and write that Chapter 22!

I hate when they get so long. That Brian chapter rewrite, I was like "Oh no, I want to split this up, but I can't have 51 chapters!"

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 18, 2021, 03:32:25 PM ---Whoo! You're a champ! Don't make your OCD sad and write that Chapter 22!

I hate when they get so long. That Brian chapter rewrite, I was like "Oh no, I want to split this up, but I can't have 51 chapters!"

--- End quote ---

I know!  It was almost 6000 words, and most of my chapters are closer to 3000.  Sometimes I'll let them go long if it's all one continuous scene with no obvious stopping point, but this one already had two scenes that were each around 3000 words, so it just made the most sense to split it.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 18, 2021, 04:18:26 PM ---I know!  It was almost 6000 words, and most of my chapters are closer to 3000.  Sometimes I'll let them go long if it's all one continuous scene with no obvious stopping point, but this one already had two scenes that were each around 3000 words, so it just made the most sense to split it.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, when they get to 6,000 words, I feel like there's no point in keeping it together. I feel bad when they're really one scene that keeps going though, especially if I want to switch the viewpoint character. I've been consciously more aware of the head hopping after that Brian chapter, but then I'm always like "If Nick didn't end up unconscious, this would be fine."

I'm slowly realizing with these ending chapters of PBox that they might end up longer when they're already long. Maybe I still overwrite, haha.  I'm trying to get better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version