Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (146/150) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 24, 2021, 05:50:40 PM ---But, I also know post-COVID, I'll be back to my volunteering and fall tailgating, so I should probably get into the habit of not writing both days in a weekend. Or write a lot now so that I can take those days off then. Not sure.  :shrug:

I figured you had, but couldn't think of any. Did you always plan to kill them from the beginning or were there any where you changed your mind?

--- End quote ---

I say write as much as you can while you can!

You missed some of the more memorable ones while you were on hiatus LOL.  I can't think of any instances where I've changed my mind.  There have been some stories where I wasn't sure in the beginning whether certain characters would live or die; it could have gone either way.  But once I make up my mind, I stick with it.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 24, 2021, 06:56:22 PM ---I say write as much as you can while you can!

You missed some of the more memorable ones while you were on hiatus LOL.  I can't think of any instances where I've changed my mind.  There have been some stories where I wasn't sure in the beginning whether certain characters would live or die; it could have gone either way.  But once I make up my mind, I stick with it.

--- End quote ---

You're probably right! It would be crazy if I kept this pace and actually finished a novel in six months or less, haha. Do you write more during the summer or would you say your pace is pretty consistent?

I figured I had. When about in the story do you decide if you're on the fence? Is it closer to the beginning or closer to the end? I've only ever tried to seriously kill off the Boys in PBox, so it's not super typical for me. I don't know that I could again. Right now I'm puzzling "Does Nick have to die to be Brian's guardian angel?"

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 24, 2021, 07:09:28 PM ---You're probably right! It would be crazy if I kept this pace and actually finished a novel in six months or less, haha. Do you write more during the summer or would you say your pace is pretty consistent?

I figured I had. When about in the story do you decide if you're on the fence? Is it closer to the beginning or closer to the end? I've only ever tried to seriously kill off the Boys in PBox, so it's not super typical for me. I don't know that I could again. Right now I'm puzzling "Does Nick have to die to be Brian's guardian angel?"

--- End quote ---

I definitely write more in the summer.  I usually only write on the weekends during the school year, unless I'm really inspired.

It's closer to the beginning.  I'd say by halfway through the story, I've got those life or death decisions figured out for the end.  I don't think I've ever changed my mind past that point.

Are you really thinking about writing the guardian angel story?  You totally should!  And unfortunately, yes, I think Nick needs to die to be an angel.  Although you're a fantasy person; you could probably work your magic and figure out some loophole to bring him back to life if you wanted to.  No one really knows for sure anyway when it comes to the afterlife, angels, ghosts, etc.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 24, 2021, 08:34:52 PM ---I definitely write more in the summer.  I usually only write on the weekends during the school year, unless I'm really inspired.

It's closer to the beginning.  I'd say by halfway through the story, I've got those life or death decisions figured out for the end.  I don't think I've ever changed my mind past that point.
--- End quote ---

It would be tough to wait for the weekend if you were really inspired, though I know late writing nights aren't fun the next morning.

Yeah, I'd had my PBox deaths all squared away by chapter twenty out of fifty as well. I think deciding later than halfway gets too rushed.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 24, 2021, 08:34:52 PM ---Are you really thinking about writing the guardian angel story?  You totally should!  And unfortunately, yes, I think Nick needs to die to be an angel.  Although you're a fantasy person; you could probably work your magic and figure out some loophole to bring him back to life if you wanted to.  No one really knows for sure anyway when it comes to the afterlife, angels, ghosts, etc.

--- End quote ---

I'm considering it, but it's in the questioning phase. Poor Gobosei, haha. Loopholes are my favorite! Like I said, that's how Nick got around dying like I planned.

nicksgal:
Also, I apparently should have described this chapter as "I'm not crying, you're crying, Nick! (Just kidding we're both crying.)" Man, anyone who ever read this probably got to the end and thought "Well, that was a downer."

Because I did that story structure thing where you establish "Character x wants thing y," but you'll never give them thing y. However, you will give them what they need, thing z. And thing z ends up being really different from thing y. Except... Character x figures out that they didn't actually want thing y, they really wanted thing z all along. And so you say, "Oh no, now you get neither!"

Poor Nick...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version