Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146257 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #630 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:27 PM »

I'm laughing at Brian doing Star Wars role play online. What a "they're just like us" moment.

I could see it!  I follow his brother on Instagram, and he's a total Star Wars fanboy!  I think they were both big into Star Wars as kids (as I'm sure most little boys growing up in the 70s and 80s were).
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #631 on: January 19, 2021, 10:36:20 PM »

What's something you would absolutely go back and tell your younger self about writing (fanfics or otherwise) if you could?

Hey there, younger self!  I know you're excited, but you don't have to post everything you write immediately after writing it.  Also, you should really look stuff up on the internet instead of relying on Lurlene McDaniel books from the '80s for your medical research.  There's this new search engine called Google.  It's going to be a game-changer!

And, what's something you would be hesitant to tell your younger self?

I know you're, like, totally in love with Brian Littrell and think he's perfect, but he's actually not.  And Nick is not so bad.  Believe it or not, someday you'll run out of Brian ideas and start writing Nick stories instead.

Alternatively, is there anything you wish your younger self could tell you from way back when?

OMG, I can't believe you're 35 and still writing BSB fanfic.  I'm, like, so embarrassed for you, future self.  But if you're seriously gonna keep doing this, you should really stop overthinking every word and just WRITE!  You may be better than me, but I'm much faster!

LMAO! "You may be better than me, but I'm much faster!"
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #632 on: January 19, 2021, 10:37:06 PM »

I could see it!  I follow his brother on Instagram, and he's a total Star Wars fanboy!  I think they were both big into Star Wars as kids (as I'm sure most little boys growing up in the 70s and 80s were).

Who doesn't love samurai in space with cool aliens?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #633 on: January 19, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »

Lol i thought it was something different.

I likely won’t be posting that one any time soon, I’m looking at maybe posting the group story I had started which is titled “History” after the song by One Direction. It takes place in 2011/2012 right when Kevin was about to come back to the group. While its a group story it centers around Nick and Kevin. So it’s a brotherly type group story. I’m more inclined to post that than a Brian centered romance that I don’t know if anyone would even be interested in considering everything going on with Brian in real life.

The brotherly Kevin/Nick story sounds best to me, but I would read a Brian romance that didn't have Leighanne in it.  Just as fanfic got me through Nick's ghetto fab phase, I need some sweet Brian fanfic to help me forget what's going on in real life.  I hope people keep writing Brian stories.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #634 on: January 19, 2021, 10:57:13 PM »

I've been milling this over since I posted it.

What's something you would absolutely go back and tell your younger self about writing (fanfics or otherwise) if you could?

Dear Young Dee circa 2005ish,

You and I both know that you decided to write BSB fanfics because you loved writing and you loved the Boys. And you also really love fantasy. It's fine. Write that even when it takes a long time, when you hit writer's block, or if you feel like no one is reading. It's okay. Write what you really love. You'll be happier. Because eventually fanfic might be quieter and if you want to keep writing, you'll be happier if you're really writing what you love because you love it and not for any of those other reasons to write and post online. Also give yourself more breaks and a little intentional slack. You deserve both those things.

Also, PBox? Nick's really annoying about his story and he'll never leave you alone. That's right, you don't know this yet, but it's actually HIS story and he is very particular about it. Maybe you'll be better prepared for him when he decides to loudly tell you his opinions if you know that going in.

Also, try to be better about seeing where people are coming from before you make decisions. Friends first, fanfic second.

Best,

~More Mature Dee

And, what's something you would be hesitant to tell your younger self?

PS. We took ten years off from writing fanfic. It was okay. Don't be too upset about that and be better than I was and take the advice above to heart.

PPS. I know the AC forum is awesome (or will be when you get there), but don't write every dumb comment that comes into your head. You sound like a bit of a loud airhead. Stay on topic more and let people who post threads control their direction.

PPPS. You did not marry Nick Carter. The universe can only do so much. If you want us to marry Nick Carter, you have to be more specific.

Alternatively, is there anything you wish your younger self could tell you from way back when?

To Old Dee: Boo! You suck!

I'm kidding. I wish younger me could tell me all the great but unpursued ideas I had back in the day. I'm sure there were actually a lot of gems, but they were not documented very well.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #635 on: January 19, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »

Aww, I love all of the above, but this made me laugh:

PPS. I know the AC forum is awesome (or will be when you get there), but don't write every dumb comment that comes into your head. You sound like a bit of a loud airhead. Stay on topic more and let people who post threads control their direction.

PPPS. You did not marry Nick Carter. The universe can only do so much. If you want us to marry Nick Carter, you have to be more specific.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #636 on: January 19, 2021, 11:12:57 PM »

Haha, I tried, if nothing else, to make all of us laugh.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #637 on: January 20, 2021, 10:11:32 PM »

Anyone else a jerk to their characters just for fun?

Nick kept trying to talk and kept getting interrupted. And he eventually: Nick threw his hands up and huffed, then crossed his arms and hunched his shoulders while glowering at her.

Because that's how I feel when he does it to me, haha.

Feels weird to be MIA today. Had to finish my edit for my update.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »

I wondered where you were.  Glad you've been productive!

And yes... I love messing with my characters just for fun LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2021, 10:35:28 PM »

Oh yes, I got behind on my PNecklace edit for this week because I ended up in the rabbit hole of a few older threads yesterday, haha. Had to catch up and ended up changing around a few more things than I thought  I would.

It's funny when they can react in a big way. I don't mess with Kevin or Howie much for instance, because they're not really big reactors. Mostly just Nick and AJ.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #640 on: January 21, 2021, 12:10:22 AM »

Julie, how does day two of being all done feel?

I will ponder more writing questions for tomorrow!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #641 on: January 21, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »

More questions!

What's the weirdest place you've ever worked on one of your stories?

Tell us something semi-ridiculous you do while writing that if someone walked in on would be very confusing for them.

When you're writing, how are you picturing the story? Is it just words on a page? A movie? How do you think this helps or hinders your writing?

What are your favorite kinds of scenes to write?

Not a question or an answer, but I can tell that these last five chapters are going to have some "fun" word salad moments.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #642 on: January 21, 2021, 05:29:54 PM »

Julie, how does day two of being all done feel?

I will ponder more writing questions for tomorrow!

Great!  I started rereading it from the beginning last night to see if there's anything important from earlier in the story that I forgot to reference or resolve in the end.  Already found a small continuity error to fix - Kevin broke his phone earlier in the story and was then using said phone toward the end.  Nope, can't do that, Kevy Kev.  This is the nice part of my having gained the willpower to not impulsively post the last five chapters all at once just because I'm done... I can actually take my time to go back and look at it as a whole when editing.

How many more chapters of PBox do you have to edit at this point?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #643 on: January 21, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »

Great!  I started rereading it from the beginning last night to see if there's anything important from earlier in the story that I forgot to reference or resolve in the end.  Already found a small continuity error to fix - Kevin broke his phone earlier in the story and was then using said phone toward the end.  Nope, can't do that, Kevy Kev.  This is the nice part of my having gained the willpower to not impulsively post the last five chapters all at once just because I'm done... I can actually take my time to go back and look at it as a whole when editing.

How many more chapters of PBox do you have to edit at this point?

I hate when I do that too. I'm editing chapter 46 right now and paused to cursory edit 41-45, only to realize that I'd just not mentioned what happened to anyone's swords when they no longer had them in chapter 46. So I was grateful to be able to go back and fix that before posting. Glad Kevin can no longer magic a perfectly functioning phone out of hammerspace, haha.

Four chapters and 3.5 pages left. I'm hoping to finish those 3.5 pages today and maybe get a chunk of the next chapter done. It dawned on me during this editing that if I had originally decided to focus on two characters doing the fighting, then everyone else did ... nothing. :shrug: Which is uncharacterist ic for them. So I've slowly had to add in either *something* or a cop out like "They were enclosed in one of Brian's barriers." Thank goodness for Brian having the power to seal everyone off so I can just focus on AJ or Howie like I did originally without it seeming out of character!

Except Nick, of course, is like, "To hell with that, I hate every minute of this not doing something!" So he gets to do fun things like:

Nick glanced at him, then started trying to walk toward him, but AJ pulled him back. Nick clenched his fist and gnashed his teeth, then whirled on AJ and forcefully poked him in the chest before he started gesturing toward God largely and wildly with his hands. He continued opening his mouth as though he spoke, but no sound came out.

and

As Kevin and Brian are clearly having a calm conversation about the emerald demons' powers: Meanwhile, Nick pounded on the barrier with his fists and appeared to be shouting.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #644 on: January 21, 2021, 05:59:19 PM »

What's the weirdest place you've ever worked on one of your stories?
I guess the airport?  I know that's not that weird, but I'm not comfortable writing in public, so that was a stretch for me.  That was during one of my daily writing streaks for A Heart That Isn't Mine in 2019, and I was at like 50-something days of writing in a row and determined not to break it when I went to LA with Rose, so I wrote a little bit on my phone at the airport to keep the streak alive.

Tell us something semi-ridiculous you do while writing that if someone walked in on would be very confusing for them.
I get up and pace a lot, especially when I'm writing something that makes me uncomfortable.  I'll just randomly get up and wander into another room, then come back and get back at it.  There's no real rhyme or reason to it, and I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time.

Sometimes I act things out when I'm trying to figure out how to describe them or if what I'm describing is even possible.  For example, Brian broke his ankle in Bethlehem, and I was trying to describe him getting out of a recliner quickly on one leg.  I was having a hard time describing it the right way, so I sat down in my armchair with my feet up on an ottoman and practiced jumping up on one foot.  Dumb stuff like that LOL.  I know I've told this story here before, but my favorite was when I drove my car out onto a rural road in the middle of the night, parked it next to a cornfield, and climbed out of my moonroof just to make sure that a plausible means of escape for a scene from Song for the Undead.  I wanted to try it myself, but I didn't want other people in my apartment complex to see me doing that in the parking lot LOL.

When you're writing, how are you picturing the story? Is it just words on a page? A movie? How do you think this helps or hinders your writing?

I picture it in my head like a movie.  It helps me describe it better.  And when that doesn't work, I act it out myself, like I said above LOL.

What are your favorite kinds of scenes to write?

My favorite scenes are usually the ones with a lot of dialogue.  I love emotional conversations.  I also love brotherly banter scenes with the guys just joking around with each other.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50