Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (25/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 07:45:26 PM ---Did you splice either of those other two versions into the final version or did you delete them once the third one stuck? I'm glad that the third version finally stuck! :)

I think you're right on that. If Curtain Call is the only truly pushy one, which ones have been lingering pushy besides AHTIM?

You know, the pushy ones are fun because it just feels like they leap to life. And if a break for life is necessary, they still breathe and leap to life. I guess the lingering ones are nice because I know they're always there if I want to come back to them. What's interesting, actually, is that Gobosei was a pushy idea when it started, but then it quietly sat aside for PBox, not sure why.

--- End quote ---

I may have used bits and pieces of dialogue from the first two versions, but most of it was rewritten from scratch.  I think I kept the old versions until I got through the first few chapters of the third one and then deleted them.  I'm glad the third one stuck too!

As for lingering ideas, Guilty Roads was one of those.  I'd had that idea in one form or another for like eight years before I finally wrote it.  Same with Heroic Measures.  The two I've been working on this year, My Brother's Keeper and Fallen Angel, are both lingering ideas I've been hanging onto for years too.

I agree, both kinds of ideas are nice in different ways.  I guess PBox was just pushier than Gobosei!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 07:45:26 PM ---That's probably true about them always being older than us. I'm sure if BSB existed now like they did then (same ages as in 1999, but in 2021 I mean), I probably wouldn't think twice about it. Maybe I'd be team Kevin, lol. Thank goodness they did ​not because my life would not be the same if I was an NSYNC fan.
--- End quote ---

Same!  They would probably just be like another One Direction to me - some good songs, but not a group I care about any more than any other pop group.  Thank goodness they were born when they were.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 07:45:26 PM ---I think I did remember that, actually, but you've gotta support Illinois teams, right? They've both moved on, so we're a happy household! :) Funny story, my bracket's doing pretty well and it has a little fire emoji by it on the app. I was telling my husband about it and he said "You're my fire." And this is at like 11pm last night and I just couldn't help it, so I said "But am I your one desire?" And he laughed quietly and whispered "Damnit." So I responded, "Well, believe when I say that I want it that way." And I laughed so hard that I was no longer tired and he was not amused at all, lol.

--- End quote ---

Yep!

LOL That is cute.  Hubby walked right into that one LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 07:45:26 PM ---Oh, I know. You've gotta keep the streak alive! But I suppose you'll never know if anyone would mention it unless you don't do something?

Alright, Nick and Kevin. Hear that? Continue being as dramatic as possible!

--- End quote ---

Good news on the April Fool's front.  I got a new idea that required less writing than my original idea and spent my day working on that.  I'm saving the other idea for another year or maybe even a real story - it actually could be a cute one if I ever felt like taking a break from Team Dark and writing something light and fluffy.

I have not written anything for MBK yet today, but I'm hoping now that I got this April Fool's stuff out of my way, I'll be able to refocus on that.

How's the writing going for the rest of you?

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 20, 2021, 09:50:41 PM ---I may have used bits and pieces of dialogue from the first two versions, but most of it was rewritten from scratch.  I think I kept the old versions until I got through the first few chapters of the third one and then deleted them.  I'm glad the third one stuck too!

As for lingering ideas, Guilty Roads was one of those.  I'd had that idea in one form or another for like eight years before I finally wrote it.  Same with Heroic Measures.  The two I've been working on this year, My Brother's Keeper and Fallen Angel, are both lingering ideas I've been hanging onto for years too.

I agree, both kinds of ideas are nice in different ways.  I guess PBox was just pushier than Gobosei!
--- End quote ---

You really hate having multiple versions of the same story, haha.

It's nice that you have so many patiently waiting to possibly be chosen. Good for MBK that it's finally getting its turn! I can't remember if I already asked this, when you go through ideas in progress/stored ideas when you're starting something new, how often do you go with one of those and how often do you go with a completely new idea?

The pushiest, really, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 20, 2021, 09:50:41 PM ---Same!  They would probably just be like another One Direction to me - some good songs, but not a group I care about any more than any other pop group.  Thank goodness they were born when they were.
--- End quote ---

Definitely! Like how I feel about that BTS song in the galaxy commercials. It's pretty boppy, but I could care less about them. I also found out they call their fans an army? And I was like, uhh... the original boy band army existed when y'all were born. Respect your elders BTS fans! lol

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 20, 2021, 09:50:41 PM ---LOL That is cute.  Hubby walked right into that one LOL.
--- End quote ---

He knew it, he accepted it begrudgingly. And I laughed a lot.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 20, 2021, 09:50:41 PM ---Good news on the April Fool's front.  I got a new idea that required less writing than my original idea and spent my day working on that.  I'm saving the other idea for another year or maybe even a real story - it actually could be a cute one if I ever felt like taking a break from Team Dark and writing something light and fluffy.

I have not written anything for MBK yet today, but I'm hoping now that I got this April Fool's stuff out of my way, I'll be able to refocus on that.
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear it didn't require too much writing! Gasp! Taking a break from Team Dark? But we have cookies, kidnapping, stabbings, and death! lmao Stories that start as jokes are my favorites.

Sending you good vibes!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 20, 2021, 09:50:41 PM ---How's the writing going for the rest of you?
--- End quote ---

I actually ventured out of the house and watched our basketball game at a sports bar with hubby and a friend who was in town to visit. I'm exhausted!

I wrote two words though, haha.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 10:15:41 PM ---You really hate having multiple versions of the same story, haha.

It's nice that you have so many patiently waiting to possibly be chosen. Good for MBK that it's finally getting its turn! I can't remember if I already asked this, when you go through ideas in progress/stored ideas when you're starting something new, how often do you go with one of those and how often do you go with a completely new idea?

--- End quote ---

I really do! LOL

It's about half and half.  I take so long to finish stories, I tend to accumulate a lot of ideas during that time.  My plan is always to use one of them for my next project, but sometimes a new idea will pop up at the perfect time.  Bethlehem and Sick as My Secrets were both brand new ideas when I started writing them.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 10:15:41 PM ---Definitely! Like how I feel about that BTS song in the galaxy commercials. It's pretty boppy, but I could care less about them. I also found out they call their fans an army? And I was like, uhh... the original boy band army existed when y'all were born. Respect your elders BTS fans! lol

--- End quote ---

Damn right!  Also, they have seven members, which is too many for a boyband.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 10:15:41 PM ---I wrote two words though, haha.

--- End quote ---

Congrats on your two words LOL.  I wrote a sentence on MBK last night at 11:45 when I realized if I didn't add something, I would break my week-long writing streak.  So the streak is still alive LOL.

I'm glad you got to get out of the house and do something though.  I didn't write yesterday morning because I met my parents for lunch, which was also nice.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 09:34:15 PM ---So I've been scouring for new questions and stumbled on someone's answer to their first story they ever wrote:

"I think my first was a fanfic about Backstreet Boys that I wrote when I was about 14. It was so horribly written and I was given so much praise for it in the fandom that I thought I was a fantastic author. Yeah, it gave me a big head for a short period of time and thank whatever high power there is that I ended up losing it in one of the moves that I did since then!"

My first question is: Well what was this fanfic about? I definitely think certain characters and genres would garner more praise in general. But then it also makes me curious, think anyone who use to write fanfic around here has moved on to other fandoms or only to original fiction?

--- End quote ---

I know some former BSB authors who have moved on to writing about other boybands, like One Direction and BTS.  I wouldn't be surprised if some wrote for completely different, not real person fandoms as well.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 20, 2021, 09:34:15 PM ---I also found a "question" that was: Send me assumptions you have about me based on my writing. Which is interesting, but I feel like we're all familiar enough with each other that assumptions need not be made?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think we've all discussed our writing enough here that there's not a lot left to assume.  But it would be interesting to hear the assumptions of readers who have never actually talked to me or seen my posts here.

I'm gonna save the list of questions for a separate post!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 21, 2021, 10:49:36 AM ---It's about half and half.  I take so long to finish stories, I tend to accumulate a lot of ideas during that time.  My plan is always to use one of them for my next project, but sometimes a new idea will pop up at the perfect time.  Bethlehem and Sick as My Secrets were both brand new ideas when I started writing them.
--- End quote ---

Especially if you're not typically writing much during the school year, that's a long time to accumulate story ideas! Would you say those two were pushy or just "right time, right place."

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 21, 2021, 10:49:36 AM ---Damn right!  Also, they have seven members, which is too many for a boyband.
--- End quote ---

lol! I mean, in the countries that do more of the "boy band factory" model, they seem less stringent on the five boys in a boy band rule. But what are the stereotypes of the last two? What needs to be added to "the cute young one," "the heartthrob," "the bad boy," "the shy one," and "the older brother"? "The sick one?" "The brooding one?" "The smart one?" "The angsty one?" I have no idea!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 21, 2021, 10:49:36 AM ---Congrats on your two words LOL.  I wrote a sentence on MBK last night at 11:45 when I realized if I didn't add something, I would break my week-long writing streak.  So the streak is still alive LOL.

I'm glad you got to get out of the house and do something though.  I didn't write yesterday morning because I met my parents for lunch, which was also nice.

--- End quote ---

I also sat down to write so that I didn't break my streak since last Saturday, haha. My very important two words were "I can," I'm basically a literary genius! ;) Glad your streak is still alive as well!

Me too. It definitely reminded me of my life in pre-COVID days. Don't remember being completed exhausted afterward though, lol! Glad you got lunch with your parents! That sounds like a fun way to get out of the house too. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version