Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (38/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:05:47 PM ---Nick's determined enough, he would try to get back to it before learning to run on the prosthetic leg! lol!

--- End quote ---

LOL True.  At least he could shoot free-throws... or play wheelchair basketball.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:05:47 PM ---Aw! That conference sounds awesome! That's great that your BOE does that! :) Are you nurturing any young authors in your classroom?

--- End quote ---

We didn't have it this year because of COVID. :(  But we do a fiction writing unit every year in fourth grade, so they at least all got to write a story.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:05:47 PM ---Me too! To be honest, I got all my drama out of the way early, divorced parents and what not. And like I said, it's hard to be super emo when the Backstreet Boys exist (at least for me, personally).

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I was #blessed with a pretty happy childhood, so I didn't have any real reason to be emo.  Most of my drama was self-created or fictional LOL.  And making up fictional drama about the Backstreet Boys actually makes me happy, so...

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 29, 2021, 09:17:51 PM ---LOL True.  At least he could shoot free-throws... or play wheelchair basketball.
--- End quote ---

Work on his 3-pointers or Harlem Globetrotter moves. Mostly I'm a jerk picturing him hopping around a basketball court, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 29, 2021, 09:17:51 PM ---We didn't have it this year because of COVID. :(  But we do a fiction writing unit every year in fourth grade, so they at least all got to write a story.
--- End quote ---

That's disappointing, but at least they got to write something. Do you share any of your writing expertise with your students or do they also not know your history with writing?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 29, 2021, 09:17:51 PM ---I agree.  I was #blessed with a pretty happy childhood, so I didn't have any real reason to be emo.  Most of my drama was self-created or fictional LOL.  And making up fictional drama about the Backstreet Boys actually makes me happy, so...

--- End quote ---

You don't need to be dramatic to make life dramatic for fictional Backstreet Boys! Maybe it's gotten a lot of your drama out of the way, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 29, 2021, 08:33:35 PM ---That is surprising!  But I guess you either use the personal dictionary, or you don't.  I use it to stop the red squiggles on words it insists aren't real words LOL.

--- End quote ---

Like "Howie." Poor Howie.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:31:07 PM ---Work on his 3-pointers or Harlem Globetrotter moves. Mostly I'm a jerk picturing him hopping around a basketball court, lol.

--- End quote ---

LMAO!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:31:07 PM ---That's disappointing, but at least they got to write something. Do you share any of your writing expertise with your students or do they also not know your history with writing?

--- End quote ---

I write in front of them when I'm modeling things, but no, they have no idea I regularly write for fun.  I have brought in my Young Authors story from 4th grade to show them though.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:31:07 PM ---You don't need to be dramatic to make life dramatic for fictional Backstreet Boys! Maybe it's gotten a lot of your drama out of the way, lol.

--- End quote ---

LOL Maybe.  Writing fictional drama always makes me feel better about my own mundane problems.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:31:07 PM ---Like "Howie." Poor Howie.

--- End quote ---

Seriously!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 29, 2021, 09:38:44 PM ---I write in front of them when I'm modeling things, but no, they have no idea I regularly write for fun.  I have brought in my Young Authors story from 4th grade to show them though.
--- End quote ---

I love that! What a fun way to share an experience in a relatable way! I hope you're not demonizing "said" for them. What kinds of stories do you start writing when you're modeling? I'm guessing it's not the type of things you usually write, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 29, 2021, 09:38:44 PM ---LOL Maybe.  Writing fictional drama always makes me feel better about my own mundane problems.
--- End quote ---

Yes! Torturing Backstreet Boys is a powerful form of catharsis, lol! Thanks for being scapegoats, guys!

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 29, 2021, 09:47:50 PM ---I love that! What a fun way to share an experience in a relatable way! I hope you're not demonizing "said" for them. What kinds of stories do you start writing when you're modeling? I'm guessing it's not the type of things you usually write, lol.

--- End quote ---

LOL Definitely not.  We focus on realistic fiction, so I have them start by creating a character who's kind of like them in some ways and either drawing on real life experiences or writing the kind of story they would like to read.  I have them help me create a character and come up with a problem for him/her to have that will be the basis for the plot.  This year we ended up with a girl who wants to try out for a softball team because her friends are on the team, but she is not coordinated or athletically gifted, so she has to practice really hard to get better before tryouts.  Pushing that growth mindset! LOL  I'm just happy if they include dialogue and dialogue tags, "said" or otherwise!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version