Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (141/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 04:11:14 PM ---I think it goes back to the "know or are willing to research" aspect. If it's truly important to the plot or character development, then I imagine most authors would put in the due diligence to portray things as accurately (and hopefully sympatheticall y) as possible.

My author's note for that chapter: "You may assume at this point that I have a weird demon fetish. I don't! Although, I've now written two novels about demons and begun a third... in addition to never having met a demon... So who can say for sure? Probably not though." lol I get wanting to separate your person from your fiction.

You never know! Isn't it something like there's anywhere between 25 and 50 active serial killers at any time? Yup! Found it: https://people.com/crime/miranda-barbour-and-serial-killers-misconceptions/

--- End quote ---

Yep, absolutely.  If it's something traumatic you've been through yourself, you have every right to write your truth, no matter how triggering it is for someone else reading.  And if you haven't been through it, you better do the research to write it as accurately and sympatheticall y as you can.

LOL I don't think a demon fetish is so weird, even if you did have one.  Look at how people are with vampires.  Even before Twilight, there used to be a lot of vampire fics in our fandom.  If vampires can be sexy, so can demons.  Especially when they look like Nick. LOL

True, maybe Stephen King is a serial killer.  Or maybe I am... burying the bodies in my backyard at all.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 04:11:14 PM ---That makes sense that it would happen quickly after an overdose. Isn't the liver an organ that regenerates? I wonder how much you have to damage your own liver in order to need a transplant rather than just waiting for it to get better? Am I making this up? Isn't Tylenol pretty toxic in general? I feel like doctors are always recommending ibuprofin over tylenol for pain medication. If a liver shuts down and would kill you after a week, I'm sure that's probably a reasonable timeline for being off anti-rejection meds. Maybe throw in another day for the previous day's dose to fully wear of or something. Although, I feel like if I was Nick and on a "take this or die" medication, I wouldn't forget it? We've gotta be better about keeping Nick healthy!

You'll be proud of me, he hasn't gotten stabbed once yet in PNcklace! But now that I've realized that... maybe he's due for a stabbing? lol Poor Nick.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, livers can regenerate, but it takes time, so if the damage was severe enough to completely shut it down in a matter of days, you're screwed.  Tylenol in particular is toxic to the liver, but I think ibuprofen is harder on your stomach.  So pick your poison!  I'm an ibuprofen person myself though.

LOL This was dumb early twenties Nick, so of course he did not have his "take this or die" meds with him.  It's amazing he survives as many fanfics as he does, with all the ailments and injuries we throw his way.  I'm always in favor of another stabbing! LOL

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 04:32:33 PM ---I think in general, I care less about meaningful names than I used to. I think I'm leaning more into the meaningful names for the OF PBox Boys simply to say, "yeah that seems like it could be Brian's name if he was named something else," lol.

Back in meaningful name days, I definitely did, but now I'm more of the opinion that parents would just name a kid something because they liked it, not because they were intending them to be whatever. Like hubs is definitely "Nick" because he was born around St. Nicholas Day, not because my FIL/MIL intended him to be a "victory for the people" or anything. He's probably not; jury might be out on whether our BSB Nick is a victory for the people, lol. Nickname names are a good way to give a character a more meaningful name without picking something weird based solely on its meaning, I think. I did pick based on meaning when you suggested possible old man character names for me and enjoyed the old man soundingness of Virgil and that it meant "staff bearer," so I was sold, lol. Perfectly fitting for the character I had written.

--- End quote ---

I'm the same way with names.  I've always just picked names I like or that sound good for that character and only look at their actual meanings if I'm torn between names and need help deciding.  Based on what some parents name their kids, I assuming most of them don't bother to look up the meaning or don't care what it means.  For example, I have a friend whose son is named Cooper, which means "barrel maker" after the profession.  I doubt she thought, "Yes, I want my son to be a barrel maker!"  She just thought it was a cute name.  (Although she does like to drink, so maybe the meaning does fit LOL.)  I do like names that do have a more personal meaning or story behind them, like your husband being born close to St. Nicholas Day.  That is meaningful in a different way.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 04:32:33 PM ---What made you decide to stop writing it?

--- End quote ---

Broken. LOL  I started it a few months before Broken, and it was always just a dumb side project that kind of fizzled out over the years.  It wasn't really a conscious decision to stop writing it; I just haven't updated it since 2007.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 04:32:33 PM ---I wrote about 4,000 words yesterday, so I wonder where I would have been if I could have done that on Friday, lol. I ended up sleeping in really late today, so if anything, my two cups of coffee made me really tired by the end of the day.

I've gotten about 1,200 so far today and am still not done with this chapter (the one that only required 500 more words). There's like two more things that need to happen, but I got super hungry and needed to eat. Then I followed you all on Twitter and checked in here, lol. Hopefully I can get back into it after this. Nano says I can write to the end of the month if I write about 360 words every day, which seems super doable, but I also think I've got more than that in me. We'll see!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 05:39:11 PM ---One of those two partially finished chapters complete plus the last scene from that arc in the final chapter! Now just 900 words to go back and get through to finish this arc! OMG, feels so exciting! I think I'm going to finish a novel this month, everyone! :o

--- End quote ---

Wow, congrats!!  You've had such a productive weekend!  You're so close to finishing!!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 04:32:33 PM ---Are you still on your Kevin chapter or are you back to Nick? It's interesting that you're having weekend slumps now rather than mid-week slumps. Do you think it's because more people want to do things on the weekend? How did waking up at 2am end up going? Did you write a lot or drink any caffeine?

--- End quote ---

I had a really good writing day today and finished my Kevin chapter!  It's 7,000 words long.  ???  I kept checking my word count early on, worrying it was going to be long because I had a lot planned for it, and it was always lower than what I thought.  2,500 words... 3,000 words...  So I eventually stopped checking it and just kept writing.  Well, apparently it more than doubled in length since I stopped checking LOL.  Oh well.  It will just be long then!  I'm not sure what I would do differently to shorten it because I feel like everything I included is important and needed to be in there at some point... and if I split it into two chapters, I would need to come up with something else for the Nick chapter in between, which is a struggle I do not want to bring upon myself, based on how the last couple Nick chapters went.

I did not write anything else or drink caffeine at 2 a.m., and I ended up sleeping until almost noon today, but then I got up and wrote for like 5 hours straight.  I got over 2,000 words written!  What I did differently today was shower first, then go back to bed with my coffee and write.  That way I wouldn't get derailed by the urge to take a shower, which is what has been ending my writing sessions other days.

Yeah, I dunno, I think as long as I can be left alone for a few days without having to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to do, I will write.  Damn social obligations and adult responsibiliti es getting in my way LOL.  I don't know how people with kids get anything done.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM ---Yep, absolutely.  If it's something traumatic you've been through yourself, you have every right to write your truth, no matter how triggering it is for someone else reading.  And if you haven't been through it, you better do the research to write it as accurately and sympatheticall y as you can.

LOL I don't think a demon fetish is so weird, even if you did have one.  Look at how people are with vampires.  Even before Twilight, there used to be a lot of vampire fics in our fandom.  If vampires can be sexy, so can demons.  Especially when they look like Nick. LOL

True, maybe Stephen King is a serial killer.  Or maybe I am... burying the bodies in my backyard at all.
--- End quote ---

I feel like you can tell when someone is writing something from personal experience versus having dutifully researched it versus slapping it together. I can't quite explain the difference well, but it's like feelings jump from the words that aren't necessarily there even when something is very carefully researched and crafted.

Vampires are overplayed after Twilight and all the Anne Rice novels (plus both of them are anti-fanfic). Team demons! It's really just Nick with a couple extra body parts that get in the way sometimes, lol. I mean this in general, not just in a sex scene; being able to fly is neat, but life is hard when you have wings to maneuver through doorways, for instance. Although, I'll be honest, since they're not sentient body parts or anything, I don't always mention them. But I figure that's the same thing as not specifically mentioning a finger if that fingers's not doing anything and I always assume Nick still has ten fingers unless told otherwise, lmao!

I think demons were a harder sell just because they're not as prevalent as vampires and I made the conscious choice to not have them able to simultaneously be the demons and the Backstreet Boys, at least technically, you know I love my loopholes. It's easier to be a vampire and still be a Backstreet Boy, you just stop doing daytime appearances. I'm sure it would have been an easier sell if they were... I don't know... demons that drew power from applause and adulation rather than suffering so they could simultaneously be the Boys and demons, but that didn't fit the story I wanted to tell since they're something else in the PBox universe (but I won't say what yet because spoilers, obviously). Although, now that I'm saying it, demons that get powerful through praise sounds really interesting... However! If I finish all of PBox and then wrote yet another completely different story about demons, then people would assume I had some sort of demon fetish, lol.

--- Quote ---Or maybe I am... burying the bodies in my backyard with my lawnmower.
--- End quote ---

Fixed it for you. lmao

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM ---Yeah, livers can regenerate, but it takes time, so if the damage was severe enough to completely shut it down in a matter of days, you're screwed.  Tylenol in particular is toxic to the liver, but I think ibuprofen is harder on your stomach.  So pick your poison!  I'm an ibuprofen person myself though.

LOL This was dumb early twenties Nick, so of course he did not have his "take this or die" meds with him.  It's amazing he survives as many fanfics as he does, with all the ailments and injuries we throw his way.  I'm always in favor of another stabbing! LOL
--- End quote ---

Makes sense! Organ failure is a real beast! So you're saying with my wonky stomach, I should actually be taking tylenol... interesting. Ibuprofen has always been less unsavory to me, not in a pill popping way, just tylenol tastes super chalky when it goes down.

I suppose you're right. Early twenties Nick was not a good packer for climate change between regions, so I assume he didn't think too hard about what he had on his person, lol. He survives through the sheer power of author love, of course! He's that 1 in a million odds for anything; fanfic Nick should apply for the lottery, he's very lucky. I'm a horrible person, now that I've said it... I kinda want to stab him... but in a nice way... for character development, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM ---I'm the same way with names.  I've always just picked names I like or that sound good for that character and only look at their actual meanings if I'm torn between names and need help deciding.  Based on what some parents name their kids, I assuming most of them don't bother to look up the meaning or don't care what it means.  For example, I have a friend whose son is named Cooper, which means "barrel maker" after the profession.  I doubt she thought, "Yes, I want my son to be a barrel maker!"  She just thought it was a cute name.  (Although she does like to drink, so maybe the meaning does fit LOL.)  I do like names that do have a more personal meaning or story behind them, like your husband being born close to St. Nicholas Day.  That is meaningful in a different way.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, same, if there's two equally good names, then it can be a good deciding factor. I think Cooper is a cute name for a kid (though not on any list I've ever had personally), but yes, I also knew it meant "barrel maker," lol. I don't worry about parents' drinking habits until I've had all their children in my class and they're all named after liquor brands. This has happened to me once, lol. I think it's better when it's a personal meaning too rather than a name meaning thing. :)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM ---Broken. LOL  I started it a few months before Broken, and it was always just a dumb side project that kind of fizzled out over the years.  It wasn't really a conscious decision to stop writing it; I just haven't updated it since 2007.
--- End quote ---

All you needed to say. Completely understand, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM ---Wow, congrats!!  You've had such a productive weekend!  You're so close to finishing!!
--- End quote ---

I know! Hopefully I can chunk out this 900ish words and then there's only about 8,000 more to go! Crazy! And if these next two chapters are anything like the two chapters I did this weekend, then they'll fly by!

Although, my outline for this arc was very tight. I pretty much followed the major beats of the arc down to each bullet point without major changes (just some minor changes here and there, and writing more than a sentence to convey it, obviously), but it only ended up being five chapters worth as opposed to the six or seven I'd originally planned on. That was fine though, because it didn't need those extra chapters or it would have felt needlessly drawn out. But good thing I was loosey goosey with the other arc and added a whole chapter I hadn't bullet pointed plus one ended up having a clear division of content for two chapters worth of stuff, lol. Really, I think I'm most impressed that I finished two partially started chapters and wrote six others in one month! That's a pretty quick pace! I think I've been excited to finish, despite all the other things going on.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM ---I had a really good writing day today and finished my Kevin chapter!  It's 7,000 words long.  ???  I kept checking my word count early on, worrying it was going to be long because I had a lot planned for it, and it was always lower than what I thought.  2,500 words... 3,000 words...  So I eventually stopped checking it and just kept writing.  Well, apparently it more than doubled in length since I stopped checking LOL.  Oh well.  It will just be long then!  I'm not sure what I would do differently to shorten it because I feel like everything I included is important and needed to be in there at some point... and if I split it into two chapters, I would need to come up with something else for the Nick chapter in between, which is a struggle I do not want to bring upon myself, based on how the last couple Nick chapters went.

I did not write anything else or drink caffeine at 2 a.m., and I ended up sleeping until almost noon today, but then I got up and wrote for like 5 hours straight.  I got over 2,000 words written!  What I did differently today was shower first, then go back to bed with my coffee and write.  That way I wouldn't get derailed by the urge to take a shower, which is what has been ending my writing sessions other days.

Yeah, I dunno, I think as long as I can be left alone for a few days without having to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to do, I will write.  Damn social obligations and adult responsibiliti es getting in my way LOL.  I don't know how people with kids get anything done.

--- End quote ---

That's really exciting after your couple of slow days! Wow 7000 words! Congrats!! I hate when I do that too. I always keep checking thinking that I might need to add a little something in and then it always surpasses it. I usually stop checking once it's in the 2500 range as long as I know I have something that will at least be 500 more words. After that, I just write until it's done. I feel like my writing goes smoother once I stop worrying about it too. I'd say unless you have a solid plan for a Nick chapter that can go inbetween, don't bother. Let it be long. It sounds like your Kevin chapters are more meaty, so let Kevin have the meat of this story. He's earned it! And it's great that you're having fun with it! :) But if Nick's giving you trouble, maybe you still don't want to write Hot Mess Nick after all, lol.

That's awesome! 2000 words in one writing session! I always find I do better too if I shower first thing when I get up instead of writing, then showering like I did today. I think it's the same thing as getting ready for work, showering just makes me feel like I'm ready for my day, but if I don't shower then maybe I'm ready for the day and maybe I'm not? It's like this weird middle ground.

Ugh, adult responsibiliti es are the worst! lol Anything on your docket the next couple of days? I wish I could stay home and write. I think if I had two more solid days, I could be done. Guess I'll stretch it out over the week, lol.

And once again, we're back to one really long to respond to post, lol!

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM ---I feel like you can tell when someone is writing something from personal experience versus having dutifully researched it versus slapping it together. I can't quite explain the difference well, but it's like feelings jump from the words that aren't necessarily there even when something is very carefully researched and crafted.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I agree.  Research can get you so far, but knowing the facts is different from knowing firsthand what something actually feels like.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM ---Vampires are overplayed after Twilight and all the Anne Rice novels (plus both of them are anti-fanfic). Team demons! It's really just Nick with a couple extra body parts that get in the way sometimes, lol. I mean this in general, not just in a sex scene; being able to fly is neat, but life is hard when you have wings to maneuver through doorways, for instance. Although, I'll be honest, since they're not sentient body parts or anything, I don't always mention them. But I figure that's the same thing as not specifically mentioning a finger if that fingers's not doing anything and I always assume Nick still has ten fingers unless told otherwise, lmao!

I think demons were a harder sell just because they're not as prevalent as vampires and I made the conscious choice to not have them able to simultaneously be the demons and the Backstreet Boys, at least technically, you know I love my loopholes. It's easier to be a vampire and still be a Backstreet Boy, you just stop doing daytime appearances. I'm sure it would have been an easier sell if they were... I don't know... demons that drew power from applause and adulation rather than suffering so they could simultaneously be the Boys and demons, but that didn't fit the story I wanted to tell since they're something else in the PBox universe (but I won't say what yet because spoilers, obviously). Although, now that I'm saying it, demons that get powerful through praise sounds really interesting... However! If I finish all of PBox and then wrote yet another completely different story about demons, then people would assume I had some sort of demon fetish, lol.

--- End quote ---

I think once you've made it clear that he has wings and described them a few times, you probably don't need to keep mentioning them in every scene, unless it's important. 

Demons are definitely less prevalent, but that's probably a good thing because it makes them more unique, especially in BSB fanfic.  I don't know that there's another BSB demon story out there, whereas there used to be a ton of vampire fics.  I also like the idea of demons who get power from praise!  But yeah, it might be good to branch out and try something totally different.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM ---Fixed it for you. lmao

--- End quote ---

Haha, of course!  I knew the lawnmower would come up again.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM ---He survives through the sheer power of author love, of course! He's that 1 in a million odds for anything; fanfic Nick should apply for the lottery, he's very lucky. I'm a horrible person, now that I've said it... I kinda want to stab him... but in a nice way... for character development, lol.

--- End quote ---

Yes, except for in 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter, where he's the unluckiest character ever.  Although he never stays dead, so maybe that does make him lucky.

Stab stab stab!!!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM --- I don't worry about parents' drinking habits until I've had all their children in my class and they're all named after liquor brands. This has happened to me once, lol.

--- End quote ---

LOL!!  Classy!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM ---I know! Hopefully I can chunk out this 900ish words and then there's only about 8,000 more to go! Crazy! And if these next two chapters are anything like the two chapters I did this weekend, then they'll fly by!

Although, my outline for this arc was very tight. I pretty much followed the major beats of the arc down to each bullet point without major changes (just some minor changes here and there, and writing more than a sentence to convey it, obviously), but it only ended up being five chapters worth as opposed to the six or seven I'd originally planned on. That was fine though, because it didn't need those extra chapters or it would have felt needlessly drawn out. But good thing I was loosey goosey with the other arc and added a whole chapter I hadn't bullet pointed plus one ended up having a clear division of content for two chapters worth of stuff, lol. Really, I think I'm most impressed that I finished two partially started chapters and wrote six others in one month! That's a pretty quick pace! I think I've been excited to finish, despite all the other things going on.

--- End quote ---

That's awesome that you were able to tighten it up a little!  Writing 6-8 chapters in a month when you're still working and have other personal stuff going on is impressive!!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 06, 2021, 08:45:30 PM ---That's really exciting after your couple of slow days! Wow 7000 words! Congrats!! I hate when I do that too. I always keep checking thinking that I might need to add a little something in and then it always surpasses it. I usually stop checking once it's in the 2500 range as long as I know I have something that will at least be 500 more words. After that, I just write until it's done. I feel like my writing goes smoother once I stop worrying about it too. I'd say unless you have a solid plan for a Nick chapter that can go inbetween, don't bother. Let it be long. It sounds like your Kevin chapters are more meaty, so let Kevin have the meat of this story. He's earned it! And it's great that you're having fun with it! :) But if Nick's giving you trouble, maybe you still don't want to write Hot Mess Nick after all, lol.

That's awesome! 2000 words in one writing session! I always find I do better too if I shower first thing when I get up instead of writing, then showering like I did today. I think it's the same thing as getting ready for work, showering just makes me feel like I'm ready for my day, but if I don't shower then maybe I'm ready for the day and maybe I'm not? It's like this weird middle ground.

Ugh, adult responsibiliti es are the worst! lol Anything on your docket the next couple of days? I wish I could stay home and write. I think if I had two more solid days, I could be done. Guess I'll stretch it out over the week, lol.

And once again, we're back to one really long to respond to post, lol!

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Yeah, that's my thought too - if it was under 1,500 words, I would feel the need to add more, but I don't have a set limit on chapter length.  Most of mine end up under 5,000 words, but it's okay if they go longer.  Kevin's chapters are definitely more meaty.  He has more going on, or at least more that I wanted to write about LOL.  It really is a Kevin story; even Nick's chapters have been mostly reactionary to what Kevin is going through.  I have more subplots planned for Nick later, but I clearly did not give him enough to do beside tour during this part of the story.  Maybe I should have stabbed him? LOL

Yeah, maybe I will try showering first again tomorrow.  It is nice to have that out of the way, in case anything comes up later in the day - that way, it's much quicker to get ready.  All I have tomorrow is my nephew's baseball game, but that's not until evening, so it shouldn't affect my writing.  Tuesday I have to take my car back in to get that leak fixed, so I won't be able to write as long as I did today.

I hear you on just wanting two more days.  Wouldn't it be nice if every weekend was a three-day weekend?  I would get so much more done during the school year that way.  I hope you can carry your inspiration through the week!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 10:05:41 PM ---I think once you've made it clear that he has wings and described them a few times, you probably don't need to keep mentioning them in every scene, unless it's important. 

Demons are definitely less prevalent, but that's probably a good thing because it makes them more unique, especially in BSB fanfic.  I don't know that there's another BSB demon story out there, whereas there used to be a ton of vampire fics.  I also like the idea of demons who get power from praise!  But yeah, it might be good to branch out and try something totally different.
--- End quote ---

I usually only find important ways to bring them up again once I start to forget about them while writing. I'll be honest though, it's usually the tails I forget about. At least you can fly with wings, tails are just kind of there, lol.

I think they're less prevalent in general, depending on the content of a story. If it's a Heaven and Hell type thing, they're usually there, but they're less present than other standard fantasy races, even less so than angels, unless there's conjuring stuff going on. But you're right, I can't think of any other BSB demon stories. Once again, I'm the AJ.

The more I think about it, the more it sounds awesome, lol. Maybe it's a short story. I have no plot ideas for it, so right now it's going to live in the territory of "neat concept."

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 10:05:41 PM ---Haha, of course!  I knew the lawnmower would come up again.
--- End quote ---

:biggrin: The perfect time!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 10:05:41 PM ---Yes, except for in 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter, where he's the unluckiest character ever.  Although he never stays dead, so maybe that does make him lucky.

Stab stab stab!!!
--- End quote ---

If he doesn't stay dead, I'd say that's very lucky, lol.

lol! On it!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 10:05:41 PM ---That's awesome that you were able to tighten it up a little!  Writing 6-8 chapters in a month when you're still working and have other personal stuff going on is impressive!!
--- End quote ---

For once I was not verbose. I'd say maybe it's the outline, but that's clearly not true in the other arc, so I don't know what the difference is here. Think I can keep up this 6-8 chapter/month pace? I'd be very prolific if I did!

Now I'm down to about 200 words to go in this chapter! Clearly I am less motivated to finish it (because I'm here), but I'm trying my best!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 06, 2021, 10:05:41 PM ---Thanks!  Yeah, that's my thought too - if it was under 1,500 words, I would feel the need to add more, but I don't have a set limit on chapter length.  Most of mine end up under 5,000 words, but it's okay if they go longer.  Kevin's chapters are definitely more meaty.  He has more going on, or at least more that I wanted to write about LOL.  It really is a Kevin story; even Nick's chapters have been mostly reactionary to what Kevin is going through.  I have more subplots planned for Nick later, but I clearly did not give him enough to do beside tour during this part of the story.  Maybe I should have stabbed him? LOL

Yeah, maybe I will try showering first again tomorrow.  It is nice to have that out of the way, in case anything comes up later in the day - that way, it's much quicker to get ready.  All I have tomorrow is my nephew's baseball game, but that's not until evening, so it shouldn't affect my writing.  Tuesday I have to take my car back in to get that leak fixed, so I won't be able to write as long as I did today.

I hear you on just wanting two more days.  Wouldn't it be nice if every weekend was a three-day weekend?  I would get so much more done during the school year that way.  I hope you can carry your inspiration through the week!

--- End quote ---

I think 5,000 is my upper limit. Once they start nearing 6,000, I usually try to find some way to split it and add wherever I need to add to reach 3,000 words each. I think it would be harder to do that in a story with strict POV structure than in one without that, since coming up with something for the other character for them to sandwich could be harder than just keeping the chapter long, like you said.

I think it's okay if Nick doesn't have as many subplots. He would be very busy with touring and being a Hot Mess anyway. I feel like there's only so much you can say about Hot Mess Nick if his stuff isn't really the focus of the story, then it just feels like filler.

lmfao! Yes, you should just stab him. Have him get mugged in the next chapter or something.

Aw fun, baseball game! But boo, leak fixing interrupting writing time! At least it will be fixed. If only you could write while you wait for your car to get fixed. Our dryer came, finally, but we apparently need another part no one told us we needed (some sort of stacking kit), so now I still can't wash my clothing. Things are about to get difficult; I am running out of underwear, lol.

I would love it if every week was a three day weekend. Then it would matter less if I was unproductive in general one day. I think I'd be less tired all the time too. Thanks! I hope so too! Hopefully this next Nick chapter goes smoothly for you!

nicksgal:
Done! One arc done! Only three chapters left! Can't believe it! I don't want to jinx it, but I'm about to finish a novel y'all! In only about 7 months! If it wasn't 10:30, I might just keep writing! I hate that I always feel most motivated to write when I finish a chapter, but should go to bed, lol.

On a side note, I worried I would struggle on those 900 words I needed (especially since I initially left myself a note that said [stuff happens]), but as usual, I had nothing to worry about because this chapter apparently needed about 1400 more words to be finished, lol. I had a couple missteps, but I hacked and slashed them until it was better. Now it's exciting and better paced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version