Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (147/149) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 09:55:23 PM ---I haven't gotten much on AO3 the last week or so either.  I did get a guest kudo for MBK today, but no comments on the last chapter I posted.  And the one person who was reading SAMS on AO3 left a comment the other day saying she went to my site and read the rest, so which makes me happy in one sense that she was sucked in enough to finish it in a few days, but then also disappointed I won't be getting any more comments from her LOL.  That is my own fault though because I did say in the story notes that the story is already finished and can be read in its entirety on my site.  I did not end up adding any more tags to it.  I just felt cheap using the Anal Sex tag, and the other thing I could have tagged it was too spoilery and would have ruined one of those big reveal moments.

Demons seems like a good tag!  So does Demon/Human Relationships.  Not sure about Demon Sex if it's just the one scene; that ventures into kink territory, but you might attract people who are into demons that way LOL.  Do you ever feel like you're writing for the wrong fandom?  As in, readers from other fandoms might be more interested reading fantasy and stories about demons?  Did you look at what other fandoms were represented in those 40,000 stories tagged Demons?  I'm not suggesting you switch fandoms or anything.  It just seems like fantasy is a super popular genre in other fandoms, but not BSB.  Maybe it's a RPF thing.

--- End quote ---

Aww, your regular commenter! I wonder if she'll read more of the other things you have on you site too. That is great that she got so sucked in that she didn't want to wait for it to be on AO3 though. I may have inadvertently done the same thing by trying to catch AO3 up to here so I wasn't off on posting chapters since I mentioned that I cross post and then later that we chat here and my read count here for the last chapter was a lot higher than typical in a week, but I also feel like only two people are reading on AO3, so who knows!

It could be that it's getting warmer out and restrictions are ending in a lot of places, so maybe people just want to be outside. I felt like it always got slow here in the summer too.

I looked over it a little bit (but not in too much detail), the first page was a lot of anime fandoms as well as ones that already lend themselves to the inclusion of demons, like Supernatural. And a lot of incubi, which made perfect sense with the tags that seem popular. Have I ever felt like I was screaming into the void writing fantasy for BSB fanfic? Absolutely. Possibly more when I originally wrote PBox than now, even though it's quieter, since I hadn't quite gotten to the point where I was ready to own "this is what I do" without making comparisons. But here we are! I couldn't imagine PBox any other way, except for its potential as its own non-fanfic thing, of course. And truthfully, this might be the only demon story I have in me (other than that power from adulation thing); it just happens to be this huge thing I imagined that's taken up more of my time than originally intended, lol. As you know, if I'd had my way, they would have all died the first time and stayed dead, negating any chance for more story. You're the worst, PBox Nick.  :-*

There are some BTS demon fanfics (more the incubi route), so who knows if there's a KPop/anime overlap or what more than an overlap with anything remotely related to fantasy in BSB fandom. And yes, I don't know that people who wanted to read about demon sex would actually like the rest of my story, which is overall not about demon sex, lol. To be honest, I don't know if I even want to try to open it up to anyone outside BSB fans or someone who stumbles on it, especially if I end up making the decision to delete it later. It was mostly a case of "curiosity killed the cat." But I also like experiments -- that's why I wanted to see if you'd tested adding non-genre tags. :)

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 10, 2021, 10:28:22 PM ---Aww, your regular commenter! I wonder if she'll read more of the other things you have on you site too. That is great that she got so sucked in that she didn't want to wait for it to be on AO3 though. I may have inadvertently done the same thing by trying to catch AO3 up to here so I wasn't off on posting chapters since I mentioned that I cross post and then later that we chat here and my read count here for the last chapter was a lot higher than typical in a week, but I also feel like only two people are reading on AO3, so who knows!

It could be that it's getting warmer out and restrictions are ending in a lot of places, so maybe people just want to be outside. I felt like it always got slow here in the summer too.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it was a great compliment!  I'm glad she let me know she finished it and loved it, just so I didn't have to wonder why she stopped commenting.  It's the risk we take by cross-posting, especially with older stories/chapters, but at least our stories are being seen by a wider audience either way.  I'm sure readership does ebb and flow, just like anything else.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 10, 2021, 10:28:22 PM ---Have I ever felt like I was screaming into the void writing fantasy for BSB fanfic? Absolutely. Possibly more when I originally wrote PBox than now, even though it's quieter, since I hadn't quite gotten to the point where I was ready to own "this is what I do" without making comparisons. But here we are! I couldn't imagine PBox any other way, except for its potential as its own non-fanfic thing, of course. And truthfully, this might be the only demon story I have in me (other than that power from adulation thing); it just happens to be this huge thing I imagined that's taken up more of my time than originally intended, lol. As you know, if I'd had my way, they would have all died the first time and stayed dead, negating any chance for more story. You're the worst, PBox Nick.  :-*

There are some BTS demon fanfics (more the incubi route), so who knows if there's a KPop/anime overlap or what more than an overlap with anything remotely related to fantasy in BSB fandom. And yes, I don't know that people who wanted to read about demon sex would actually like the rest of my story, which is overall not about demon sex, lol. To be honest, I don't know if I even want to try to open it up to anyone outside BSB fans or someone who stumbles on it, especially if I end up making the decision to delete it later. It was mostly a case of "curiosity killed the cat." But I also like experiments -- that's why I wanted to see if you'd tested adding non-genre tags. :)

--- End quote ---

It's definitely more important to be true to yourself and write what you love than to write what's popular just for kudos and comments.  And hey, you're obviously happy writing these stories, so write as many of them as you feel inspired to write!

Well, you'll have to let us know the results of your experiment if you end up using any of the demon tags.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM ---LOL Yes!  I want to read this story!
--- End quote ---

Oh, I know! It's just not fleshed out in my head enough yet to be much of anything outside of random tiny things like this. There's definitely not a clear plot or even vision of an end, so even my plantser self probably couldn't do it justice right now, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM ---I'm willing to read way more than I would write, as long as they're well-written.  I think the last one I read was Swollen Issues in the early 2000s, so it's been a long time.  If anyone wants to write one (or a cancer story where Nick lives, or any kind of medical drama about any of the boys), I will read it!
--- End quote ---

That's the last Nick cancer story besides yours? I'm surprised! Maybe you have BSB medical dramas on lockdown these days. But I'll hope with you that someone will post one soon! :)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM ---I expect a live-reading on Twitch!  That would be much more entertaining than watching him play video games and bob his head to his own music LOL.
--- End quote ---

I would watch all of that. It's "Nick reacts to fanfic," but instead of the smut he was expecting, it's a story about a snail killing him. I honestly don't think he would ever expect that if someone handed him a fanfic about himself, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM ---But July is the next Camp Nano!  I'm determined to continue this streak until back to school craziness starts in August.  At least it hasn't felt like pulling teeth getting me to write.  It's not that bad; I can always get a few paragraphs written.  It's just not pages and pages at a time like I would like to be writing.  But I did think some more about that sequel idea I had, so the inspiration is still there... just not so much for the particular scene I'm in right now.
--- End quote ---

I know! I was looking at that today and was thinking "will I have a project?" I hope you do continue the streak for that long; I'm here to keep encouraging you! That was the same as my blahs. I think I dwindle to sentences, but yeah, I feel you on wanting to write pages and only writing paragraphs or a piece of dialogue or something. Ooh, the sequel itch. It's a powerful one. Hopefully the inspiration for this scene comes soon!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM ---Yep, exactly!  I feel more like a well-rounded human when I can list other things I did in a day besides stare at a computer screen LOL.  My DVR was up to 90% full, and I think I got it close to 50%.
--- End quote ---

Same. I sound so boring to anyone who asks these days, lol. Down 40%! That's a lot! I need to get ours down too, though at least 15-20% of it is things I don't plan on deleting until it makes me or breaks.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM ---LOL It happens.  I looked up the demons tag there too out of curiosity, and OMG, there are so many variations of "demon this" and "demon that."  Unsurprisingly, it looks like Supernatural is the most popular fandom for demon fanfics.

--- End quote ---

That's what I said! Curiosity will get me every time, lol. Yeah, the subtags are crazy. Like the things people will type and be the only one with that tag is just insane. Supernatural makes perfect sense to me because it's already a huge part of the show; just like I would expect Twilight or Buffy to be among the most popular fandoms for vampires.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:41:55 PM ---Yeah, it was a great compliment!  I'm glad she let me know she finished it and loved it, just so I didn't have to wonder why she stopped commenting.  It's the risk we take by cross-posting, especially with older stories/chapters, but at least our stories are being seen by a wider audience either way.  I'm sure readership does ebb and flow, just like anything else.
--- End quote ---

I'm glad she let you know too, because you're right, you do wonder if someone is commenting along then stops unless they tell you one way or another. It is a risk, but it's good for increased engagement, especially when our typical places aren't the hubs they once were.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on June 10, 2021, 10:41:55 PM ---It's definitely more important to be true to yourself and write what you love than to write what's popular just for kudos and comments.  And hey, you're obviously happy writing these stories, so write as many of them as you feel inspired to write!

Well, you'll have to let us know the results of your experiment if you end up using any of the demon tags.

--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong, I still check more frequently than I know I should based on what I expect, lol. But yes, I'm really just writing to write at this point and sharing because I love it. That's all. :) I feel due for a more "canon" BSB story though. Can't wait for "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" where I can say, "Yes, I did write an entire series about demons. I obviously needed to write something about angels." lol!

I'm game. Maybe after I finish backdating PBox. Although, I feel like there's danger in expanding tags in a Team Dark story that probably needs more warnings than I'm willing to include based on spoilers, but it's not like they would be in a published book anyway, so... who knows! They'll tell me if they hate it, lol. Or realistically, they won't.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 10, 2021, 10:44:30 PM ---Oh, I know! It's just not fleshed out in my head enough yet to be much of anything outside of random tiny things like this. There's definitely not a clear plot or even vision of an end, so even my plantser self probably couldn't do it justice right now, lol.

--- End quote ---

I totally get that.  Take your time, and focus on finishing the PBox series first!  Just letting you know I'm here for it when/if you eventually get around to it.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 10, 2021, 10:44:30 PM ---That's the last Nick cancer story besides yours? I'm surprised! Maybe you have BSB medical dramas on lockdown these days. But I'll hope with you that someone will post one soon! :)

--- End quote ---

I can't think of a more recent one.  If there is, it didn't make it onto my radar.  There was a fantastic Brian cancer story written during the Summer of Sadness, the same time I was writing Curtain Call (the beginnings were posted days apart without either of us knowing what the other one was writing), but that's the last one I've read.  The two other writers who I could count on to consistently churn out BSB medical dramas don't write anymore, so maybe I do have some sort of monopoly.  I've read a few more recent Brian heart problem stories on AO3, so those are still out there to some extent.  They're mostly short stories though.  I would love a novel!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 10, 2021, 10:44:30 PM ---I would watch all of that. It's "Nick reacts to fanfic," but instead of the smut he was expecting, it's a story about a snail killing him. I honestly don't think he would ever expect that if someone handed him a fanfic about himself, lol.

--- End quote ---

LMAO I would pay to see his reaction!  He would definitely never expect it.  Based on that one Perez Hilton Q&A thing they did in 2013ish where they were asked about fanfic, he clearly has no concept of what it actually is.  He's probably better off not knowing LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on June 10, 2021, 10:44:30 PM ---I know! I was looking at that today and was thinking "will I have a project?" I hope you do continue the streak for that long; I'm here to keep encouraging you! That was the same as my blahs. I think I dwindle to sentences, but yeah, I feel you on wanting to write pages and only writing paragraphs or a piece of dialogue or something. Ooh, the sequel itch. It's a powerful one. Hopefully the inspiration for this scene comes soon!

--- End quote ---

Hopefully you'll be done with PNecklace and ready to start a new project by July!  You could just set your word count goal low if haven't actually started a new story by then.  It's coming up more quickly than I would like.  I need to kick it into high gear if I'm going to make my June goal, considering I'm not quite to the halfway point yet.  I should be able to keep the streak going, though, since I don't have a vacation planned now that the tour's been postponed again.  That is usually when I choose to let my streaks end so I don't have to worry about it while I'm traveling.  (Plus I don't like to think about what I'm putting the Boys through in my stories when I see them in real life LOL.)

Yes, the sequel itch.  That's an itch I haven't had in a long time!  It's still just kind of poking around my brain and hasn't progressed to the point of outlines or characters or titles or banners, but that's exactly how it started with BMS.  This feels similar in a lot of ways.  We'll see how I feel when this one's further along.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version