Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Just a general pop in thread  (Read 15828 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Just a general pop in thread
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2024, 07:45:16 PM »

Yes, they did/do!  At least they did here on AC.  I still get the best AO3 comments from people who used to post on AC.  (Mainly Steph.)

I'm glad you're getting some interest in BSB back.  It's hard when they're not really doing anything.  I hope they start working on a new album soon!  I know they technically released an album less than two years ago (the Christmas album), but since the concerts and most of the promotional stuff they had planned for it got canceled, it feels like it's been a lot longer since we got new music.  I'm ready for a new BSB era!

I get it, though; there are many things I will always love but am no longer obsessed with.  BSB will always be my #1 as far as fandoms go.  I wish I could get into writing for another fandom, ideally one that's more active/popular, but loving something and writing fanfic about that something are two different things.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2024, 11:24:13 AM »

I noticed it seems so easy for other people to just hop from fandom to fandom writing wise. I feel like I'd really have to know the characters inside and out before I could write them. And even then, unless I felt some kind of connection, I doubt I'd be able to. I wrote one Supernatural fic and it was only a one shot and I found that extremely difficult. I know people who barely started watching a show like Hacks or Interview with a Vampire and then suddenly they are posting their new fics about them.

In other news. I looked up when Keanu was going to be on Broadway in Waiting for Godot, and it won't be until fall of 2025. I was really hoping Kieran and Keanu would be there at the same time. I'll only be able to afford one trip to NYC so, sorry Keanu.  :'(   Unless Kieran's play is in for the long haul and overlaps, which I highly doubt. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 11:30:15 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2024, 02:45:08 AM »

I'm the same, once I love something then it usually stays with me, like my love for BSB.  I can make room for other groups/singers but BSB are my number ones.  I usually listen to something of theirs every day :)

Mare, I'll have to watch Succession so that I can read your new stories and understand the characters.  I've still only seen a few episodes as Tim lost interest when we were watching, so I'll have to watch on my own at some point.  I've only seen up to episode 7 of series one so far, so I'm way behind.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2024, 08:42:48 AM »

Ah, the therapy episode. It's sad I've watched it so many times I know the episode just by the number you're on. I was the same with Supernatural, but there were so many seasons of that, that after a while I wasn't able to figure out what was what unless it also had the episode name attached. LOL I hope you continue. I'd love for you to read my stuff again.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2024, 05:43:19 AM »

I will get around to reading your stories as always loved your writing :) 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2024, 09:36:02 PM »

I don't understand how people can write fanfics for stuff they've just discovered either.  There are only a handful of fandoms I feel knowledgeable enough to write in, and even then, I would still have to do some research and rewatch/reread for inspiration.  But then, not everyone cares about things like realism, accuracy, canon-compliance, backstory, and plot LOL.  I guess it's easy enough to write a smutty one-shot about any pair of characters without knowing much about them.  (To be fair, I would find this incredibly difficult, but it's probably easier for people who enjoy reading and writing that sort of thing.)

I hope you at least get to go see Kieran on Broadway, Mare!

I'm still in back-to-school mode, just writing enough on my story to keep my streak alive.  Today is my update day, and I still have three finished chapters ready to post, but I always hesitate to post them when I'm not feeling productive.  The next chapter starts a new story arc that I've been planning for a while, but now that I've actually started writing it, I'm not sure if I like it or not.  I feel like I need to get further into it in order to feel more confident about it.  School officially starts Wednesday, so hopefully by next weekend, I'll be able to settle back into my regular writing routine.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2024, 10:07:24 AM »

This summer flew by! I Can't believe you're starting this week already. It's good you have some chapters ready to go. Hopefully you'll make your decision soon about whether or not your new story arc will work!

I have about one more paragraph to write of my last chapter of Invisible child and then I'm going to try to start on the sequel before my cruise. I think I'll start updating that one in October. Giving myself a nice head start.

I saw people on twitter claiming that there are very few first-person novels that are any good out there and it literally made my brain hurt so last night I made about an 8-minute video of book recs. I know first person isn't for everyone but to say they are all crap is a bit much! To Kill a Mockingbird? The Book Thief? Makes me think they haven't read very much. Not that anyone is going to watch it. I think I have like 5 followers on TikTok, but still, it'll make me feel better! LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2024, 10:36:04 AM »

It really did fly by!  I feel like I got nothing done.  I'm hoping to get some writing done today.  I got groceries and cleaned my house yesterday so I can hopefully just relax today.

Wow, one more paragraph!  Hopefully by the time you see this, you'll have finished The Invisible Child.  Congrats!  And good luck getting started on the sequel!

I don't understand the backlash against first person.  I've seen that on Reddit as well, but I thought it was just for fanfic.  Crazy that people are criticizing first person published novels as well.  Given that first person has been trendier than third person for the past couple decades, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of bad novels written in that POV (Twilight comes to mind), but, as you pointed out, there are also plenty of great novels, both new and old.  What's your TikTok, if you don't mind sharing?  I'm not on TikTok much, but I'll give your video a watch!

Does seeing first person get hated on make you more hesitant to write in that POV?  I was already well into writing a first person novel when I first realized a lot of people don't like that POV, and now I'm writing its sequel, but when I finish this series, I will probably go back to third person unless I have a good reason to write in first.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2024, 11:11:55 AM »

I'm still here. Not quite done. Decided to add more than I thought, so I'll end up finishing it tomorrow since the Mets game is about to start. I'm also in the process of trying to pack and figure out what to carry on and what I won't need right away. We won't have access to our luggage until nighttime so they recommend bringing things you might need throughout the day with you. It's harder than I thought it would be. LOL

my video is uploading now. It's so ghetto because I have no clue how to edit or anything so, it's basically me babbling for 8 minutes.  I think I'm @egypt18015 but if that doesn't work then it's @bitybella. I can't check because it's uploading.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2024, 08:52:45 AM »

My TikTok is @egypt18015

I also realized I never answered your question about writing in first person. I enjoy writing in first person too much to give it up. I've only written one in this fandom, but when and if I ever do make the sequel to Tumbledown, which is my first person one, I'd do that one in first as well. I don't know why but I find it easier to first in that point of view. Probably because I'm so dialogue driven and not as into descriptions.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2024, 09:04:31 PM »

Just wanted to come in and wish you a great first day of school! Hopefully it’ll be a fun year and a good class!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2024, 04:55:40 AM »

Hope your first day back in school goes well :)  And your writing goes in the direction you want it to go.

Mare, I don't use TikTok but I'll see if I can have a look.  In fact I only use Facebook and Instagram as forgot my Twitter details lol, or X as it's called now.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2024, 09:21:36 AM »

I refuse to call it X lol I tend to forget all about TikTok until I click on a FB reel from there and go oh yeah, I haven't been there in a while.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2024, 03:01:27 AM »

Yes when I sometimes click on a FB thing it takes me there and asks me to create an account, which I've not done yet lol.  Maybe I'll have to sign up for it :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2024, 08:13:45 AM »

It stinks you have to sign up for all of these things. I feel like I'm having to sign up for something new every day.

And now that the cruise is 6 days away, they have been posting the activities on the app and there is a theme night each night and one of them is all white attire. That would have been helpful to know a while ago and not less than a week away. I own absolutely zero white things. I don't wear white because I stain things too easily and it's not a very flattering color and I'm not about to go spend money on something white that I'll never wear again, so I hope I'm not publicly shamed because I'm not dressed like everyone else. We all already know how much I hate theme things to begin with. LOL
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15