Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Fanfic cliches  (Read 20633 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Fanfic cliches
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2007, 01:12:08 AM »

Hehe, yeah... it was no Titanic, but I enjoyed it for the eye candy and the love story.  I'm a sucker for the tearjerker love triangle sort of dealie LOL.  The actual attack part is soooo long though; that's where it starts to lose me LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2007, 01:14:43 AM »

ok totally off topic, but I just signed up for DS and it won't send me the activation e-mail. Am I a moron, or is there a trick to it?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2007, 04:28:35 AM »

Um... good question LOL.  I don't really know, but don't even worry about it cause you can post without being activated.  There are a lot of people who aren't - maybe that's why, cause something's weird with the email.  It's been awhile since I started it, so I don't remember LOL.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2007, 07:16:30 AM »

LMAO the angel stories!!!!  Ahh, I read a few of those.

And I know of the Nick/cougar (older woman) stories too.  Cover Me With Dreams aside, I find those hard to get into.  It just depends though.

Heidi did an exceptional job at making CMWD a fic completely out of that cliche's league though. I didn't even think about that when I read that fic because it was just so well done.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »

Hehe, yeah... it was no Titanic, but I enjoyed it for the eye candy and the love story.  I'm a sucker for the tearjerker love triangle sort of dealie LOL.  The actual attack part is soooo long though; that's where it starts to lose me LOL.

I liked it too...but I liked it for the explosions and airplanes lol I could have done without the love triangle :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2007, 09:17:49 AM »

Yea lol I can very easily stare at Josh Hartnett for over 2 hours Lol. Ben affleck not so much...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2007, 01:49:57 PM »

Heidi did an exceptional job at making CMWD a fic completely out of that cliche's league though. I didn't even think about that when I read that fic because it was just so well done.

Oh, I know!  And I don't know if I really consider it one of those "older women" stories cause she wasn't THAT much older.  Like 5 years maybe?  That's not bad.  But technically, she is older.

That is my all-time favorite romance though; I love it.
~Julie

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »

^ That's what I've tried to do with mine too.  Otherwise it's too boring, if it's just girl meets boy, girl and boy fall in love, girl and boy get married and have babies and live happily ever after without any of the problems normal couples face.

Hence why I like the Broken series hehe
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2007, 04:26:07 PM »

Hence why I like the Broken series hehe

Aw thanks! ;D  LOL
~Julie

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2007, 11:44:37 PM »

Welcome Julie! Normally the whole nick gets sick story drives me up the wall, however with that said, the way you've written both stories make it so believably real that honestly it makes him into a completely new person in my eyes (fiction wise of course hehe) but yeah I found solace with Broken when my grandma died of cancer last year, it helped me through the grief alot. And now that I may be facing my own battle with the big C (nothing's for sure yet but hopefully it can be treated before it goes cancerous) it  helps alot to read a story that shows the realities of the disease in such a way.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2007, 12:44:53 AM »

Aww, thanks Teri... that means a lot to me that it meant so much to you. :)   I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, and I'm praying that everything goes okay for you!
~Julie

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »

Yeah my grandma was really hard to get through but ur story and writing Alyssa's dad's death from cancer and how she dealt with it helped me get out a ton of my emotions. as far as me it's more like i'm just gonna deal as it comes

Stephanie

• Fledgling
  • Addicted to BSB
    • Myspace
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2007, 12:11:08 AM »

In some cases, I believe, authors sort of create this inevitability of running into cliches. The stories that I have posted on the site (at least most of my older ones) are sort of cliche BUT in doing them, I think I was able to learn from them and sort of hone in on a particular skill. You write them then learn that 'hey, this is sort of cookie cutter and has sort of an interchangeabl e plot' then you learn from that. I've since distaced myself from romance stories since often times, you do find a lot of cliches in that genre as far as the band goes as a lot of stories are fans and band members meeting and falling in love.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »

Yeah fans meeting the band love story are soo cliched. Even the best friend stories are. (Insert joke about my best friend story LOL) but yeah it's all about learning from writing and your experiences from it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree.  You gotta start somewhere, and it's hard to be original when pretty much everything has been done.  But like you guys said, after you write some cliched stuff and get better at writing, you learn to take an idea and put your own spin on it to make it original.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8