Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Fanfic cliches  (Read 20626 times)

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
Re: Fanfic cliches
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »

Well said, it's hard everyone starts with the cliched stuff cuz honestly it's the EASIEST to think of. It's usually one of the first ideas that comes to mind. Therefore it's not bad to write it at all, they wouldn't be cliched if they didn't have a popular following. But after you've written it go back and be very objective with yourself and say "will someone I don't even know understand what I'm trying to do here?" If that answer is no, then I suggest a re-write, if that answer is yes (first check with your beta reader if you have one) then be like ok it has potential.

Another thing with beta reading although I must admit both stories I beta for I LOVE. It's not always a good idea to have someone who is a huge fan of your story to be your beta. I feel though it's my duty to the authors whom I beta to be objective, (but overall nice about it LOL) and give them my honest opinion about where they're going with their writing. And personally I like knowing that one of my most trusted beta's (Mel!) really wasn't a "fan" of my work like say my friend Anita from Denmark or Crystal here at home are. Though I adore both Anita and Crys, I know that no matter what I do to my story (aside from killing off all five boys LMAO) that they'll love it simply because they like the story. With Mel it's more like okay Teri is this crucial to your plot? If not axe it. And I love that about her being my beta because usually I have this feeling that the scene or idea isn't really going to go anywhere so I'll bounce it off her to see if it may have potential and if she's like "well do you think it will important later in the story?" and I can't come up with a solid answer, I know it wasn't a good idea in the first place.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2007, 02:53:47 AM »

^ Good points.  I don't really have a "beta reader," but I know what you mean - it's hard to get valid, critical feedback from people who are fans of your work, or at least it seems that way.  They'll say everything's great whether it is or not, and maybe they really think it is, but others would probably disagree.

Do a lot of you have an actual beta reader who isn't just a friend of yours or a fan of your story?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2007, 03:38:36 AM »

Hmmm...  Well, I asked Kelly to be my beta, and I love her feedback to pieces, but she seems to like the story too much to be overly critical with it.

I wish I had a very critical beta. *nod*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »

I dont really have a beta reader at all. I just let Mersey and Maria read my stuff before anyone else does and they are the ones that tell me if it makes sense or not, and I do the same for them lol I edit my own stories. I have betaed for other people in the past but it got to be too much.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »

^ That's the arrangement I have too.  I always have somebody who will read my chapters first and offer their opinions, and I do the same for them.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2007, 07:21:45 PM »

Yeah that's the general idea of a beta reader. Like with Mel we bounce ideas off each other for our stories, email excerpts of chapters to see if they aren't too cheesed out or if they make sense, etc. I think the most important part is that there's another set of eyes looking at your work preposting that can help make it better.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2007, 12:19:45 PM »

Yea I'm late here, but just going over what I  missed while on vacation. I dunno if you consider what I do betaing but I usually like to have one or two people that I can send parts of my story that I want a second look at or to hear out my ideas. It's sort of a fine line cuz basically my two "betas" (Teri and Tri) are fans of UMS, so I guess you can say they might be a little bit biased, but I think it helps cuz they are involved in the story and they know the plot and the characters pretty well, wheras w/ a non-reader I'd have to explain a lot for the to really "get" it. Not every fan can be a good beta though. I like Tri and Teri cuz I can trust them to be brutally honest w/me and likewise I'm the same with their stories. If they have an idea that I'm not fond of I'll tell them right out. (Teri will tell you jusy how much crap I gave her about her threesome scene, but that's another story lol) It's nice though cuz if i have an incomplete idea half the time one of them can help me complete it and vice versa. I couldn't have written UMS w/out my betas!

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »

hehe yay! LOL about the threesome thing, yeah In AIL I wrote a threesome thing that comes back to bite nick and ali in the butt in SWIB (i think that's the  redeeming quality of it) but I knew not everyone would like it and I accept that but at the time I was writing it completely fit into the story and will make even more sense as the second sequel progresses

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »

hehe yay! LOL about the threesome thing, yeah In AIL I wrote a threesome thing that comes back to bite nick and ali in the butt in SWIB (i think that's the  redeeming quality of it) but I knew not everyone would like it and I accept that but at the time I was writing it completely fit into the story and will make even more sense as the second sequel progresses

And whoose idea was it to have it come back and bite them in the asses? LOL j/k

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »

you gave me the idea, i figured it needed more literary value, though it was fun to write.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »

I thought of quite possibly my most hated cliche EVER.  It's not just a fanfic one; it's more a movie/TV show one.

When people are like "Let's start over..." and then they introduce themselves to each other and act like they just met.

Who DOES that?!  I hate that!!!

*cracks up and waves* I do that, Julie! lol. I seriously just did that with a friend about 2 months ago (I think you know who I'm talking about).
~ Amy.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »

sex and or the girl in the story is already with one of the guys
saying "i love you" in the second chapter
girls having babies in the being of the story
slash stories without warning (like no disclaimer)
even though i love these, the girl and the bsb guy hate each other

i think that's off the top of my head, anything else i missed.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »

sex and or the girl in the story is already with one of the guys
saying "i love you" in the second chapter
girls having babies in the being of the story
slash stories without warning (like no disclaimer)
even though i love these, the girl and the bsb guy hate each other

i think that's off the top of my head, anything else i missed.

LOL yea I agree however you can take all of those cliches and make them better by adding more plot to them. I took a very old cliche for my series, the best friends who fall in love. And I played around with it, alot. And it turned out to be this giant story with lots of drama

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »

i was just listing the ones that i see often.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2007, 11:47:33 AM »

Well, no disclaimer on a slash story isn't really a cliche lol I don't find it happens all the time.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8