Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: July Picture Challenge  (Read 16565 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
July Picture Challenge
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:23:35 AM »

Howdy all!

OKay well, because we are talking sci fi fantasy this month your challenge will go along with this genre. I know many of us aren't comfortable with sci fi and I know many of us aren't comfortable writing Kevin and or Howie so the challenge is this!

Write a short story with the two main players being Kevin and Howie  ;)

~ It has to be sci-fi or fantasy

~ You can have the other guys in it too but they shouldn't be the main focus

~ Add at least one original character. This character has to be from another world of some kind whether it be an alien life form or a demon or a talking grapefruit lol

~ You have to explain why Kevin is positioned the way he is in the picture.

Now is the time for all the sci fi  and fantasy writers to step up and try this, some of the romance people submitted last month I want to see some of you submit this month! *looks at the sci fi and fantasy people on the forum* and of course everyone else too. The purpose of a challenge is to challenge yourself to write something you wouldn't normally write, right? lol

Good luck and have fun!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:55:31 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
Re: July Picture Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »

Oh my god.. That is a really difficult challenge for me.. I might give it a shot though. I'll think about a short story during holiday.. and maybe write one later!
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:38:38 AM »

I think this is the hardest challenge I have issued thus far lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »

ok, wow. You might actually make my brain explode with this one. Haha. This is going to take me a while.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 06:20:37 PM »

LOL I hope a lot of people try this one.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »

To be technical, Pandora's Box isn't science fiction at all.... Science fiction makes my brain hurt.

Just thought I woul point that out before you tried tying the month together and got a bunch of stories about aliens.... :-[
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

it's fantasy thought right? And this is a sci fi fantasy challenge lol
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:32:51 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »

I meant to modify lol so ignore this one
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:32:16 PM by mare »

Gal1015

• Fledgling
  • So far so Good
    • http://gal1015.pitas.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »

oh mare... this is wicked-ly tough, i'm imagining ET and Transformers now, lol... hmmm... indeed a tough challenge but nonetheless, i will not give up! will submit one soon... wheeeee  ;D

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:52:31 PM »

I'm not a sci-fi writer either. That stuff is too technical for me... I write Fantasy... :-D 

I could give this a try ... in fact I DO have an original story idea that is slightly based off the boys where Kevin and Howie ARE the main characters... LOL... but it takes place in completely different world :p and it's sooo not a short story. *sits and thinks* I'll try this but who knows if my brain will let me. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:56:10 PM »

To be technical, Pandora's Box isn't science fiction at all.... Science fiction makes my brain hurt.

Just thought I woul point that out before you tried tying the month together and got a bunch of stories about aliens.... :-[

ok this might be a good question for you then, but anyone feel free to jump in. I know that si-fi is like space and time and all that, but in all honesty aside from Pbox and Lord Of The Rings I have no idea what fantasy is. Can you give me a brief definition? Or maybe some guidelines if I want to try the fantasy route instead of si-fi?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »

its a sci fi or fantasy challenge ladies lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »

ok this might be a good question for you then, but anyone feel free to jump in. I know that si-fi is like space and time and all that, but in all honesty aside from Pbox and Lord Of The Rings I have no idea what fantasy is. Can you give me a brief definition? Or maybe some guidelines if I want to try the fantasy route instead of si-fi?

I could be off base with this but when I think sci fi I tend to think outer space or future. Like Star Wars or Terminator lol When I picture fantasy it's more Lord of the Rings or Mythology type stuff. Dragons, demons, wizards, things like that. At least to me. I'm sure everyone will have their own interpretation . Either way I know i'd have a hard time writing one or the other. It's a lot of remembering things and I suck at remembering things.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »

its a sci fi or fantasy challenge ladies lol

Heeheee... I know but you said "looks at all the sci-fi writers" or something :p

Fantasy examples:  Harry Potter, Inkheart, Wizard of Oz, His Dark Materials series (i.e. The Golden Compass) ... Mists of Avalon to a point could be considered it though it's also folklore I believe... typically if magic is involved it's fantasy.. if other races of beings are involved it's fantasy...

the genres cross easily, it's why they get lumped together... (i.e. Star Wars has space, technical stuff and other races of beings)...

Does that help?
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 10:14:53 PM »

I felt bad after I posted that. :-[

PBox is fantasy for sure.

Well, the line between the two gets blurred... a lot. Really, I think what Sci-Fi is is fiction about Science. That's why it tends to happen in the future or involves space. Fantasy is more like mythical creatures, places, or otherworldly ideas... But a lot of fantasy and science fiction does cross boarders, so... It can really be a tough one to call...

I think it might be interesting to start a story on alchemy... That would be science fiction and fantasy....
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5