Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Female leads  (Read 6722 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Female leads
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »

Another topic sparked by one of the debate threads...

Who are your favorite original female characters in fanfics, and why do you like them or want to root for them in the story?  What makes them more than a Mary Sue or her alter ego, Anti Sue?

Character writing is something I struggle with, and whenever the Mary Sue topic comes up, those of us who write romance get paranoid about whether or not our female characters could really be Mary Sues.  I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any common links between the female characters we really like in fics.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
Re: Female leads
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:06:44 PM »

OOH! Good topic Julie! I have several:

1. Claire from Broken/BMS: she's not a MS or an AS cuz she's smart, yet flawed and has struggled but is stronger than she thinks.
2. Katrina Parker/Carter from HDL Series: Cuz it's Trina I adore her and she's funny and flawed yet not perfect and annoying!
3. Autumn from Proving Them Wrong: Cuz it's Autumn and I love her!
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:21:20 PM »

I think the last character I'd ever call a Mary Sue is Claire from Broken/BMS. Honestly, she's my fave female character in BSB fanfiction because Julie's let us watch her grow up. As weird as that sounds, it's true. We've seen her ups and downs and in betweens. We've cheered for her, screamed at her, and cried with her. We've all wanted to beat Jamie up at some point, and yell at Nick to get his butt moving and do things right with her. I totally get emotionally involved whenever I read that series, especially BMS. It's going to be so weird having it be over.

Otherwise, the only other female character that I've really loved is Aliesa Montaine from "A Tale of Two Popstars". I don't know what it is about this story that keeps pulling me in but Aliesa's definitely a big part of the pull. She's indecisive, angry at Nick because they got married when they were drunk, and in a constant state of *screams*...That's really the only way I can describe it LOL She's a puddle of indecision, regrets, affection, and is just in an emotional rollercoaster as she tries to figure out what she really wants (which is the part that made me relate to her because I'm totally like that, too).  This story was the inspiration for Proving Them Wrong, and, though Autumn's only 5% like Aliesa, Aliesa is always in the back of my mind when I write PTW.

So, yeah, that's me. It's not that there aren't a whole bunch out there that are fabulous, but those two really stick out to me.
Sarah

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »

Good topic Julie! But I don't think you have anything to worry about in this dept. I LOVE Claire to death and think she's a GREAT female lead. One of my absolute favorites and I can be VERY judgemental when it comes to female leads in fics, so consider that a compliment!

But I too would like to work on my character development of my female lead. I've gotten some great feedback about my Alyssa from UMS, but I feel like in my last few chapters I kind of lost her into the Mary Sue zone. I'm hoping to turn her around by the sequel, but yea I need to do a lot of character development excercises. Maybe someone could post some new ideas?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:43:20 PM »

Wow, thanks, guys!  I'm iffy about Claire, especially in BMS... I think probably because some readers turned on her, which led me to wonder if it was because she was spiraling out of control into MS/AS territory. LOL  As the writer, I have no idea - not something I can really judge.  I've tried to make her NOT a Mary Sue without inadvertantly going the Anti Sue route, but like I said, I don't think character writing is really a huge strength of mine, so that has been a challenge for me.  I appreciate the compliments and reassurance! :)

Two characters came to mind when I was starting this thread... and then I just thought of a couple more.

One is Ciara from "Cover Me With Dreams," which I could read over and over again and never really get sick of.  That story is nicely balanced between Ciara and Nick, but I find Ciara just as interesting to read about as I do Nick - which is usually not the case when I read Bsb fics.  She's based on a real person, a friend of the author, so I guess that helped bring her to life - she really comes off seeming like a real person with a personality, flaws, and charm.  I also love the way Nick is written in that story, and the two of them together are an amazing combination.  One of my favorite relationships in any fanfic I've ever read. http://www.covermewithdreams.com/cmwd.html

Another one is Lizz from The Nick and Lizz Series.  Lizz is so stubborn and flawed that she's infuriating at times, but I can't deny that I've always really liked her character and rooted for her throughout that saga.  She's another one who I believe is based on a real person, and that helped bring her to life too.  I haven't read any of those stories in awhile (partly because some of them are still MIA :( ), but I still remember that Lizz loves parmesan on her popcorn, and other little quirks like that.  She's a very realistic and endearing character, one I could relate to, and again, I love her relationship with Nick.  http://www.angelfire.com/boybands/mystories/yougo.html

A third is Kara from "The Market," which is such a sweet, unique novella.  Kara is very real, flawed, quirky, and totally likeable, which is a testament to the author of the story, who is much the same.  Kara's not based on her, but she has a way of writing all her characters to be that interesting, quirky, and believable. http://www.angelfire.com/band2/nix_fan_fix/TheMarket.html

The last of my favorites is Tara from "Signal to Noise."  I think this is partly just due to the plot of the story and how it was developed, but I found her parts interesting from the very beginning, well before she comes face to face with any Backstreet Boy.  She's another one with a distinct personality and interests that make her unique, and I think she's a really cool female lead.  http://www.geocities.com/bsbtreasury/stn.html
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:58:51 PM »

hehe I'm kinda partial to Cindy from NYACS. But I worked really hard on her  ;D 

Other than that, as much romance as I've read, sadly I cant really think of any that really stand out to me. Maybe Renee from Pandora's Box. Technically Minako was the lead female in that story, and I liked her too, but Renee fascinated me. She was also kid of the villain though so she had lots of different sides.  Nothing Mary Sue about her.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Tri

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »

My favorite is Alyssa Monroe in Teri's Nothing's Impossible series.  She's so well-developed that I honestly feel like I know her.  I can really relate to her, which is great when I read a story.  If I have nothing in common with any of the characters or something that's going on in the plot, it's tough to get into the story.  But to read the series is to really understand the complexities of Ali. 

She's driven.  I think that's the biggest thing.  She has a need to be self-sufficient, so she's not trying to get anything from anyone.  She's modest and sometimes insecure, but not to a point where she's like fishing for compliments or anything annoying.  She's smart and she's witty.  She's sharp-tongued and sarcastic.  She's got a great sense of humor.  She's comfortable with her sexuality.  She's open-minded about herself and other people around her.  She comes from a great background and a strong foundation of friends and family.  She knows her family has made her into the person she is and she's appreciative of that.  She loves her family, she's close to her friends, and she loves Nick most of all...  Even though sometimes she's afraid to admit it.  She doesn't want to seem like she's dependent on a man in her life and she never wants Nick to think she's using him.  Deep down, she knows what she wants and what she likes.  She doesn't make rash decisions very easily, which sometimes is a flaw because she doesn't give into her heart all the time.  Honestly, though, she's one of the most complex characters I've ever come across.

Haha, sorry, I'm so freakin verbose...  :D  I think I'm in withdrawal from being an English major, so I'm in major analysis mode!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 01:12:10 AM »

Good topic, I've fought so hard to keep Cally out of Mary Sue territory, especially in my first attempts at romance no less. I gave her a Mary Sue-ish name more cause I like unique names having one myself and to me a private joke to give a non sue a Sue name LOL. But I'm partial to her cause I've worked hard not to, but I can't judge cause yeah, I'm the writer :p

Claire is far from Mary Sue or Anti Sue Julie lol, she's got her flaws but cause you've seen her grow you want to yell at her choices and such cause we see the obvious :D. Besides we've all wanted to yell at our friends when we see them do something we STRONGLY disagree with lmao, right? Yet like with Claire, we can't stop em. It's a good thing lol.

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:41:38 AM »

I'm going to be a Debbi Downer and stick to my guns and say there is not one single female lead character I have ever liked enough for them to be the main, pivitol person in a BSB fanfic. There have been some I like as strong characters like Claire in Broken and Valerie in Hawk and a Handsaw, but if a story was written with them being an actual main character, I probably wouldn't read. Which is why as much as I absolutely loved Broken I haven't been able to get into BMS. But Julie knows how I am lol

I think for me it's just a matter of personal tatse. I enjoy books where the lead is a male even outside of fanfic although reading i've been more of a Nancy Drew girl than a Hardy Boys girl lol that's the only exception though.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »

hehe I'm kinda partial to Cindy from NYACS. But I worked really hard on her  ;D 

Other than that, as much romance as I've read, sadly I cant really think of any that really stand out to me. Maybe Renee from Pandora's Box. Technically Minako was the lead female in that story, and I liked her too, but Renee fascinated me. She was also kid of the villain though so she had lots of different sides.  Nothing Mary Sue about her.

Yay for Renee! :)

*hugs Kelly*

PBox isn't a romance though. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »

Yay for Renee! :)

*hugs Kelly*

PBox isn't a romance though. :D

I know. Its just that when talking about female leads, typically its a romance. I only meant that I should know a lot of female leads because I read a lot of romances. Maybe that's why your female characters really stuck out to me, because they weren't dealing with the same things that "typical" female leads do.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »

My favorite is Alyssa Monroe in Teri's Nothing's Impossible series.  She's so well-developed that I honestly feel like I know her.  I can really relate to her, which is great when I read a story.  If I have nothing in common with any of the characters or something that's going on in the plot, it's tough to get into the story.  But to read the series is to really understand the complexities of Ali. 

She's driven.  I think that's the biggest thing.  She has a need to be self-sufficient, so she's not trying to get anything from anyone.  She's modest and sometimes insecure, but not to a point where she's like fishing for compliments or anything annoying.  She's smart and she's witty.  She's sharp-tongued and sarcastic.  She's got a great sense of humor.  She's comfortable with her sexuality.  She's open-minded about herself and other people around her.  She comes from a great background and a strong foundation of friends and family.  She knows her family has made her into the person she is and she's appreciative of that.  She loves her family, she's close to her friends, and she loves Nick most of all...  Even though sometimes she's afraid to admit it.  She doesn't want to seem like she's dependent on a man in her life and she never wants Nick to think she's using him.  Deep down, she knows what she wants and what she likes.  She doesn't make rash decisions very easily, which sometimes is a flaw because she doesn't give into her heart all the time.  Honestly, though, she's one of the most complex characters I've ever come across.

Haha, sorry, I'm so freakin verbose...  :D  I think I'm in withdrawal from being an English major, so I'm in major analysis mode!

LOL it's true she so is! You should see the character analysis she sent me! I looooooovvvvve eeee it!
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 06:24:52 PM »

I'm going to be a Debbi Downer and stick to my guns and say there is not one single female lead character I have ever liked enough for them to be the main, pivitol person in a BSB fanfic. There have been some I like as strong characters like Claire in Broken and Valerie in Hawk and a Handsaw, but if a story was written with them being an actual main character, I probably wouldn't read. Which is why as much as I absolutely loved Broken I haven't been able to get into BMS. But Julie knows how I am lol

I think for me it's just a matter of personal tatse. I enjoy books where the lead is a male even outside of fanfic although reading i've been more of a Nancy Drew girl than a Hardy Boys girl lol that's the only exception though.

I would usually rather read about the Backstreet Boy as the main character than a random female, but I'm the opposite in my regular fiction tastes.  I enjoy reading about female main characters because I find them easier to relate to.  I guess the major exception there would be Harry Potter.  But most of my favorite books, at least of young adulthood, are written from the female perspective.

Do you know why you prefer reading from the male perspective?

Thanks for the compliment, btw.  Even though Claire is a main character in BMS, I don't think she's THE main character - I've tried to keep her and Nick equal in the lead roles because it's as much his story as hers - and it's MORE his story overall, in the scheme of the whole series.  Plus, I know you're not the only one of my Broken readers who doesn't like female leads. :D
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »

Wow, thanks, guys!  I'm iffy about Claire, especially in BMS... I think probably because some readers turned on her, which led me to wonder if it was because she was spiraling out of control into MS/AS territory. LOL  As the writer, I have no idea - not something I can really judge.  I've tried to make her NOT a Mary Sue without inadvertantly going the Anti Sue route, but like I said, I don't think character writing is really a huge strength of mine, so that has been a challenge for me.  I appreciate the compliments and reassurance! :)

Two characters came to mind when I was starting this thread... and then I just thought of a couple more.

One is Ciara from "Cover Me With Dreams," which I could read over and over again and never really get sick of.  That story is nicely balanced between Ciara and Nick, but I find Ciara just as interesting to read about as I do Nick - which is usually not the case when I read Bsb fics.  She's based on a real person, a friend of the author, so I guess that helped bring her to life - she really comes off seeming like a real person with a personality, flaws, and charm.  I also love the way Nick is written in that story, and the two of them together are an amazing combination.  One of my favorite relationships in any fanfic I've ever read. http://www.covermewithdreams.com/cmwd.html

Another one is Lizz from The Nick and Lizz Series.  Lizz is so stubborn and flawed that she's infuriating at times, but I can't deny that I've always really liked her character and rooted for her throughout that saga.  She's another one who I believe is based on a real person, and that helped bring her to life too.  I haven't read any of those stories in awhile (partly because some of them are still MIA :( ), but I still remember that Lizz loves parmesan on her popcorn, and other little quirks like that.  She's a very realistic and endearing character, one I could relate to, and again, I love her relationship with Nick.  http://www.angelfire.com/boybands/mystories/yougo.html

A third is Kara from "The Market," which is such a sweet, unique novella.  Kara is very real, flawed, quirky, and totally likeable, which is a testament to the author of the story, who is much the same.  Kara's not based on her, but she has a way of writing all her characters to be that interesting, quirky, and believable. http://www.angelfire.com/band2/nix_fan_fix/TheMarket.html

The last of my favorites is Tara from "Signal to Noise."  I think this is partly just due to the plot of the story and how it was developed, but I found her parts interesting from the very beginning, well before she comes face to face with any Backstreet Boy.  She's another one with a distinct personality and interests that make her unique, and I think she's a really cool female lead.  http://www.geocities.com/bsbtreasury/stn.html

I think I just fell in love with you a little bit more. <3

lol Every female lead I could think of that I liked you pretty much just listed off there. Of course, Claire would have been on the top of my list, but seriously I think we have very similar tastes aswell as similar names.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 08:44:30 PM »

I think I just fell in love with you a little bit more. <3

lol Every female lead I could think of that I liked you pretty much just listed off there. Of course, Claire would have been on the top of my list, but seriously I think we have very similar tastes aswell as similar names.

Ah cool!!!  Yay for us! :D  And thanks for the compliment - you guys are making me feel like writing; I wish I had time tonight.  Remind me to read this thread again this weekend LOL.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3