Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bad Habits  (Read 3849 times)

ryanna

• Fledgling
  • OK I ADMIT IT, I DON'T UNDERSTAND A THING AROUND
Bad Habits
« on: November 23, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »

bad HAbits die Hard I know but I have one question, how do you get rid of a bad habit through out writing something, anything
I keep on doing the same bad habits over and over, which includes the puncuation, and some silly sentences that sometimes don't make since?!
how can I get rid of such a bad habit?
Who ME!
NO Way!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Bad Habits
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:56:06 PM »

English is your second language?

I suppose for something like punctuation it's just a matter of learning and practicing the correct way. Same as you would for school.

If you have particular sentences that you use that you don't like, or don't make sense, then make a list of them and don't use them, make a point of trying to find a different way to say it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »

The only suggestion I have is to make an effort not to make those mistakes anymore. I know that is easier said then done, but take julily's suggestions. Also if you can find a beta reader or a friend who is willing to help, they are a great help for puncuation and if you let them know about sentances you are unsure about liking I'm sure they will try and help you make them sound better.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

ryanna

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:12:13 AM »

But sometimes Finding a beta reader that is willing to help is not easy, right now I have a couple of them but both are busy right now, and I feel bad trying to asking them to read stuff while they are too busy, I registered for my second english course, which is now a writing course ,not grammar, but the teacher is making us do those stupid letters and paragraphes that makes me feel bored, opps forgot some letters here and there but I am enjoying the fact I am writing that is why I am asking for advice
Who ME!
NO Way!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »

If it's a writing course then there should be grammar involved
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:50:57 PM »

But sometimes Finding a beta reader that is willing to help is not easy, right now I have a couple of them but both are busy right now, and I feel bad trying to asking them to read stuff while they are too busy, I registered for my second english course, which is now a writing course ,not grammar, but the teacher is making us do those stupid letters and paragraphes that makes me feel bored, opps forgot some letters here and there but I am enjoying the fact I am writing that is why I am asking for advice

Even though it makes you bored i'm sure in the long run it'll help you out. As far as fixing bad habits, if you just make a conscious effort to be more aware of what you're doing wrong and like others have said, finding a dependable Beta reader, i'm sure within time you'll fix those habits.

I have to be honest and say as someone who used to beta for a lot of people, I tended to lose patience with the writers who never fixed the same mistakes they made all the time no matter how much I pointed it out to them, they always just assumed i'd fix it so they never made the effort to do it themselves. So when you do get a beta, really listen to what they are saying and when you reread your things, you try to fix them first before handing them off to your beta. (I feel like i'm talking fish lol) That will help you too i'm sure.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

ryanna

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:54:25 PM »

DO Beta Readers Fix things that we make wrong?! :o
I think it is not fair for them, they are kind enough to help us see our wrongs, but they don't have to fix every mistake we do?????

Well I agree with you about Fixing alot of the things before handing them to my great Beta readers I do read my own writings couple of times and think why did i ever try to put this word or why didn't I change this,
thanks for the advice.
Who ME!
NO Way!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 07:53:08 PM »

Some beta readers will take it upon themselves to just fix things they catch, but I think it's best to make the author aware there was a mistake so they can fix it themselves.
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »

Yup, when I beta read for people I also helped them out with grammar and phrasing etc... I guess there's a difference between editing and beta-ing? I always brought it to the author's attention before I made the changes just in case they meant it to be that way.

I was asked to fix grammar mistakes and so forth as well as help out with the flow of the story. That's what my take on beta reading is anyway, because that's all I have ever done. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:36:04 AM »

I have a weird question... what the hell is a beta reader?!  ???
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »

someone who reads and checks your story for you. I'm not sure why it's called beta reader lol i've always called it editing.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:12:57 AM »

someone who reads and checks your story for you. I'm not sure why it's called beta reader lol i've always called it editing.

The alpha version is you sitting at your computer typing it, the beta version is the first complete draft - therefore, the person who proofreads and edits that version is reading the beta. They are the beta reader.

:)
~Maple Jellybean~

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »

wow. I didn't think anyone would know the technical answer to that question. I surly didn't. A+ for julilly!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 02:57:56 PM »

wow. I didn't think anyone would know the technical answer to that question. I surly didn't. A+ for julilly!

I only know useless facts, don't ask me about anything important lol
~Maple Jellybean~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »

Cool, I never knew why the hell they called it a beta reader either LOL.  I just use the term proofreading or editing.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2