Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does Backstreet Successfully Cross Over?  (Read 5005 times)

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
Does Backstreet Successfully Cross Over?
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »

This is a really random thing to write about, but I was just thinking about how easy it is to meld the Backstreet Boys to fit into other fandoms.  A few of us on here have written Backstreet Boys fanfics with the Winchesters from Supernatural, and, now, Sakabelle has started a pretty good story that blends the BSB with House and its characters.  All this merging has made me think about how easily the Backstreet Boys work with other fandoms.  I think they are easily adaptable as characters to lots of other fandoms, certainly with other real life stars, but, also with shows as well.  You can mold them to go anywhere that you want ;D I certainly enjoy reading about them with the Winchesters and I loved writing my BSB/Supernatural crossover "Monster in the Closet".

So, I was wondering if other people felt this way about BSB crossovers, too.  Do you? Or would you rather just stick with the Backstreet Boys on their own? Also, do you read/write stories where the Boys are with other fandoms?

And, finally, what crossover would you really love to read/write about with the BSB?

Gosh, Mare, I feel like I suddenly did your Oprah move with all these questions LOL
Sarah

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Does Backstreet Successfully Cross Over?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:31:03 PM »

I know we've had a discussion similar to this on the board before but it's always nice to discuss and see what everyone's opinions are again. :-D

It depends on the crossover for me to read about. Personally I'd read stories where the boys were put into another fandom that is fictional. (i.e. supernatural and house) vs. the boys hanging out with Nsync or dating Britney or something. 

As for writing, I've only written one crossover to date (and it's never going to finish I'm sure) Wulf's Bane is a MULTITUDE of crossovers. Nick is the only BSB in the story, but it's a story based on the game Legend of Dragoons for playstation, it has characters that come from the world that Lyra in Golden Compass is from and it has a character from Christian Jacq's Stone of Light series books (Paneb!! OH I don't know why I Love that character so) ... also one of the characters has elf qualities as made famous by J.R.R. Tolkein.   Of course now that I'm trying to write Wulf's Bane as an original fiction I've been dutifully taking out the crossover points, which is harder then I thought. LOL.

I've thought about writing other Crossovers. I really really want to try writing a 4400/BSB crossover. :-D  Of course I'd have to get a good storyline. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:02:05 AM »

whoops! sorry about starting a topic that's already been done LOL but, you're right, Purpura, it'd be nice to hear people's opinions, too, especially now that a few more of us have written crossovers.

ooh, your crossovers sound interesting, although, i gotta admit, i've never heard of any of those other fandoms except for the Tolkien and Golden Compass mentions. I've read some pretty great stories that did combine BSB with Britney/*N Sync but only when they were in AUs and the characters were very well fleshed out and made much less superficial than they are in the media LOL
Sarah

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »

Wow, thank you!  ;D

I think this can be done successfully, being that the author approaches each fandom equally.  If there is less knowledge about one than the other, it could cause an imbalance.  I've seen some really good crossovers...a nd I've also seen some really bad ones.  I've also written some really bad ones.  I think that rewriting an entire plot line from a movie or tv series, and just changing the main characters to BSB is generally not a good idea.  I mean, I'm sure there are some rare cases where this could work, but I dunno to me that just seems unoriginal.

I sort of got off topic.  It really depends on the authors ability to capture all sets of characters.  I mean, if you're going to write BSB/Sailor Moon you want to make sure that Minako is going to go nuts over them, while Ami is less than interested.  If you make Ami fall in love with Nick at first sight, that's kind of out of character, and makes the fic really not work.

That was probably greek to most of you (lol) But I hope I was sort of able to get my point across.  I'm not trying to say I'm awesome at cross overs... that Sailor Moon /BSB fic?  Yeah... I've tried that.  Didn't turn out so well, hehe.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »

^If the BSB were Senshi I would die laughing. Meanwhile Nick wonders why he's wearing a skirt. LMAO.

I've only written one crossover, and that's PBox. And yes, it's BSB and NYSNC.... and two other boybands, but that's a secret. ;) Britney and Christina have also made appearances... . It's sort of an AU sort of not though... So it may work and it may not, I'm not sure. *shrug*

I don't really read a lot of crossovers myself, but that's because most of the crossovers people write these days are about television shows I don't watch. *bows head* Sorry.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:09:01 PM »

For all you anime/manga fans... BSB/Fruits Basket crossover? Y/Y? lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:41:38 PM »

I mean, if you're going to write BSB/Sailor Moon you want to make sure that Minako is going to go nuts over them, while Ami is less than interested.  If you make Ami fall in love with Nick at first sight, that's kind of out of character, and makes the fic really not work.

That was probably greek to most of you (lol) But I hope I was sort of able to get my point across.  I'm not trying to say I'm awesome at cross overs... that Sailor Moon /BSB fic?  Yeah... I've tried that.  Didn't turn out so well, hehe.

I used to watch Sailor Moon when I was a kid (10-ish years ago) and loved it.  But I don't recognize the names Minako and Ami.  The only ones I really remember from when I was a kid was Serena/Sailor Moon and Lida (is that how it's spelled?) but I can't remember which Sailor Scout she was.  And there was Serena's guy friend/boyfriend Darien, the cats Luna and Artemus.  And fellow Sailor Scouts: Sailors Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupiter.

Though, after a while, I stopped following Sailor Moon, so I don't know what the story's like today.  But that might be a neat crossover. *shrug*
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:52:20 AM »

I think it's probably easy to crossover real people like the BSB as opposed to fake characters, but since they are such characters themselves i'm sure it's easy to cross them over. I have been wanting to write a Numb3rs/BSB crossover for awhile and I do enjoy reading a few of the SN/BSB crossovers. I'm really not a fan of crossovers though in general. It has to be a show that I really love and written by an author I know can pull it off.

Scooby Doo meets BSB I would love to see lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 01:47:05 PM »

I'm not really into crossovers... I don't think I've really made it through reading any, unless you count Between the Lines because it had baseball players in it.  But I think if you are into crossovers, Bsb can probably crossover pretty easily.

The only "crossovers" I've written had NSync in them (usually being made fun of, to an extent) and were also AUs.  Once when I was bored at work, I got the idea to write a Bsb/Harry Potter crossover, but that didn't quite pan out LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

I'm not really into crossovers... I don't think I've really made it through reading any, unless you count Between the Lines because it had baseball players in it.  But I think if you are into crossovers, Bsb can probably crossover pretty easily.

The only "crossovers" I've written had NSync in them (usually being made fun of, to an extent) and were also AUs.  Once when I was bored at work, I got the idea to write a Bsb/Harry Potter crossover, but that didn't quite pan out LOL.

For me Between the Lines didn't count as a crossover because I didn't recognize any of the real life people, so it was just straight up AU lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 06:57:22 PM »

For all you anime/manga fans... BSB/Fruits Basket crossover? Y/Y? lol

I'm not sure what you mean by Y/y, but LMAO at BSB/Furuba! :D Would Nick be the secret long lost dolphin of the Chinese zodiac? ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »

I used to watch Sailor Moon when I was a kid (10-ish years ago) and loved it.  But I don't recognize the names Minako and Ami.  The only ones I really remember from when I was a kid was Serena/Sailor Moon and Lida (is that how it's spelled?) but I can't remember which Sailor Scout she was.  And there was Serena's guy friend/boyfriend Darien, the cats Luna and Artemus.  And fellow Sailor Scouts: Sailors Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupiter.

Though, after a while, I stopped following Sailor Moon, so I don't know what the story's like today.  But that might be a neat crossover. *shrug*

Sailor Moon: Usagi (Japanese), Bunny (English manga), Serena (English anime)
Sailor Mercury: Ami (Japanese), Amy (English manga and anime)
Sailor Mars: Rei (Japanese), Raye (English manga and anime)
Sailor Jupiter: Makoto (Japanese), Lita (English manga and anime)
Sailor Venus: Minako (Japanese), Mina (English manga and anime)
Tuxedo Kamen: Mamoru (Japanses), Tuxedo Mask/Darien (English manga and anime)

The manga has been completed in Japan since early 1990, America since 2000. The anime finished in Japan around 1996 and about 2000ish in America without the import of the last season (Stars).
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »

For me Between the Lines didn't count as a crossover because I didn't recognize any of the real life people, so it was just straight up AU lol

Yeah, me too, really.  I know nothing about the Seattle Mariners in real life, so I don't know if there were real baseball players in it or not LOL.  I think of it more as just AU.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »

Yeah, me too, really.  I know nothing about the Seattle Mariners in real life, so I don't know if there were real baseball players in it or not LOL.  I think of it more as just AU.

I had no idea that story was a crossover LOL Obviously, I know nothing about the Mariners, huh? I guess, in my book, that would be a super successful crossover. I loved it, and the end made me really, really :'(  *sigh* What a great story...
Sarah

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 01:13:24 AM »

Sailor Moon: Usagi (Japanese), Bunny (English manga), Serena (English anime)
Sailor Mercury: Ami (Japanese), Amy (English manga and anime)
Sailor Mars: Rei (Japanese), Raye (English manga and anime)
Sailor Jupiter: Makoto (Japanese), Lita (English manga and anime)
Sailor Venus: Minako (Japanese), Mina (English manga and anime)
Tuxedo Kamen: Mamoru (Japanses), Tuxedo Mask/Darien (English manga and anime)

The manga has been completed in Japan since early 1990, America since 2000. The anime finished in Japan around 1996 and about 2000ish in America without the import of the last season (Stars).

Whoa, whoa. Her english name in the manga is Bunny? What the hell is up with that? That's american translation for ya'

A Backstreet Boy anime crossover? It would have to be a really good anime and well writen. I would think a Hareem anime crossover would be good. Like a tenchi Muyu crossover, oh wow that would be nuts.
Pages: [1] 2