Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Love/Hate  (Read 3254 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Love/Hate
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:48:33 AM »

Ok so I have realized that I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with the "read count". So many people seem to either take the time to read or just to click on your chapter and not leave a review. I mean am I the only person who feels this way. Is there that many shy people out there? Am I just a looney... :o

Oh by the way I hope we haven't had a thread like this lately or at all, I just wanted to know what the rest of you think of the read count. It's cool to see how many people find interest in your story...cause they click it for a reason, but once they read a sentence or two do they keep reading or EXIT!! ??? Sorry I hope I'm making sense it's really late

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Love/Hate
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »

I don't even look at the read count because those things tend to psych me out sometimes so I just stay away altogether. I do think there's probably a mix though, of people who are just curious and peek at a chapter but then click away and people who do read along with the entire story but are too lazy to leave a review.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »

The read count can be frustrating because you see it getting higher, yet you don't see the reviews coming like you would think they would as the read count goes up. I agree with Mare. Some people are too lazy sometimes and just don't care to leave a review. I know sometimes I get that way, but I try to leave a review when I can. It can be a LOVE/HATE relationship when it comes to the read count.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »

I agree.  I like seeing how many people have been interested enough in my story to click the page, but at the same same it's irritating because..GAH! I want a review! lol.

Also, I think it can be misleading, because if one person reads your story 10 times, then obviously your read count is going to be off.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »

I don't even look at the read count.  It counts every time someone clicks on a chapter more than once, refreshes the page, etc., including the times you view it (which I do, to make sure the chapters posted okay), so I don't consider it accurate at all.  But yeah, not everyone who reads your story is going to review; we all know that's true.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 06:52:10 PM »

I don't conisder it accurte either, becuase like Julie, I click my own chapters. It's just amusing wondering how many hits are me and how many are other people. LMAO. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 06:47:59 AM »

I don't conisder it accurte either, becuase like Julie, I click my own chapters. It's just amusing wondering how many hits are me and how many are other people. LMAO. :D

Yea that's true lol Sometimes I think my read count goes higher because I tend to click on it a lot myself to go back and reread things and make sure everything posted the right way. Ehh it's okay, but I'm not sure if its really accurate.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »

Out of curiousity but why do you guys always click on your own stories? Is it just to check out if they posted correctly?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »

Out of curiousity but why do you guys always click on your own stories? Is it just to check out if they posted correctly?

That, and a lot of the older chapters of PBox (well, all of them now) aren't on my computer anymore, so if I wanted to remember what happened, I had to go find the chapter on AC.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 02:58:32 PM »

Ah. I see. Yup that makes sense then lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »

^I knew you would think so. ;)
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »

Yea same here... I try to delete older chapters from my computer to free up space, so if I haven't written in a while and want to go back and reread the last few chapters to kind of get back into the mindset of the characters I have to read it on AC. I reread a lot cuz otherwise I feel like I'd forget all the details I've included and leave things hanging.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 06:53:58 PM »

Yep, exactly.  AC used to screw up the formatting of my chapters sometimes, so I've just gotten in the habit of checking.  Also, sometimes I accidentally post the same chapter twice or skip a chapter or something, so I have to double check and make sure everything's there and correct.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »

I see a lot of people saying that about older stories. I haven't looked at mine because honestly i'm too lazy to have to go back and fix them if they are messed up. LOL 

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »

I don't leave reviews most often due to the fact that I just don't know what to say.  At least, not beyond "Ooh, that was a great chapter!  Don't leave me hanging too long!  More! More!" and such reviews like that.  Sometimes I will go into details about what I really enjoyed about what I read, but more often than not, no.

I haven't looked at my read count in such a long time that I have no idea how many times they've been read.  I know one time I looked and was disappointed to see only four reviews or so for one particular story.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2