Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: What if a BSB went to the temple?  (Read 27904 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What if a BSB went to the temple?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »

Is anyone going to be upset if I say it sounds more like some Sci-Fi story?

L. Ron Hubbard (the creator of Scientology) WAS a science fiction writer LOL.  It reminds me of how some people actually follow the "Jedi religion" because of Star Wars.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

L. Ron Hubbard (the creator of Scientology) WAS a science fiction writer LOL.  It reminds me of how some people actually follow the "Jedi religion" because of Star Wars.

People follow the Jedi religion? lol Wow... Yeah, I read that on Wiki, and I was like, "Did he just make up this crud to make money?"

Maggie: Oh, yeah it is a video file. :(
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »

Well, maybe I'll look it up on my granny's computer.  Thanks.  I could Google it, too, I suppose.

Oh, and if anybody's curious:  www.mormon.org is a website available that tells you about our church and will hopefully answer some questions people have about us.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »

Now, I have been curious as to what other Christian denominations, and other religions for that matter, believe.  What do Baptists believe?  Catholics?  Protestants, Presbyterians and Methodists?  Quakers?

I'm a Methodist, which is a sect of Protestantism.  I think the main difference, or at least one of them, between that and LDS is that Protestants don't regard Joseph Smith as a prophet and don't believe in his story about the golden plates and all of that.  We follow the teachings of the Old and New Testament.  I won't get into Catholicism, but I think Presbyterians, Baptists, and other Protestant sects believe the same stuff overall; they just differ in small areas.  Some are more conservative, stricter, or traditional than others.

I'm not going to pretend to be any kind of religion expert though, so I'm probably not the one who should be answering this question LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »

People follow the Jedi religion? lol Wow... Yeah, I read that on Wiki, and I was like, "Did he just make up this crud to make money?"

Yeah, I've heard that before about the Jedi.  And according to South Park, yes LOL (about Scientology just being out to make money).  That's why they charge people to hear "The Secret" (about Xenu and all of that LOL).
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »

If it's just for money, then why would people want to believe it?  ???
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »

Well I think a lot of the hatred of the LDS faith is slowly going away, especially in the parts of the world where it is more common, but there are some religions that still really don't like us.

I personally had mostly good experiences with people of all different faiths, and all of my friends used to tease me all in good fun, but I have also had my fair share of persecution for it too. I will always stand up for what I believe and will happily answer any questions people ask me, but like I said there have been a few really awful experiences in my life all with people of a couple religions that make me feel intimidated sometimes. Brian's religion happens to be one of those. *shrug*

I like to believe that not every Baptist thinks we are a cult and that we are horrible people who are going to hell simply for being mormon, but that has been the response I've gotten from every Baptist I've ever met.  

And when I met Brian in person while he was nice, he was also very self righteous and seemed extremely judgmental.  I was actually very disappointed in him when I met him, much to my dismay, because he's always been my favorite. So I'd love to be able to say that I don't think he would act like the other's of his faith that I've met in the past, but *shrug*

oh well, I just don't worry about it and love the music.  :)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 11:07:09 PM »

I don't think I've ever really read anything about LDS ever, but this thread is giving me a nice little intro to it.

I'm actually Muslim, which, like LDS seems to be, is extremely misunderstood for the most part. Most people, when they hear "Islam" or "Muslim" tend to think terrorist or something so completely foreign and crazy and are immediately against it.  To be honest, though, if people would just look it up, they'd see that Islam is pretty much the same exact religion as Judaism and Christianity--the major difference between the two is the question of the divinity of Christ. My best friend, who is Catholic, and I have great conversations about how all the stories about the prophets are the same in the two religions, right down to the names and everything (except for the whole Original Sin thing). But yeah...

I love reading and learning about all sorts of religions and the different sects that exist.  The aforementioned best friend was actually Protestant until she hit college. She's been working on the conversion to Catholicism, though, so I've learned lots from her about that.
Sarah

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 11:08:27 PM »

If it's just for money, then why would people want to believe it?  ???

They also believe it's not just for money LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:25 PM »

They also believe it's not just for money LOL.

Well, yes, I suppose that would have something to do with it. :D

I worship Ra. Just incase anyone cared. ;)
~*Dee*~

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2008, 11:11:58 PM »

To be honest, Scientology just weirds me out.  Especially the parts about Xenu and L. Ron Hubbard being a science fiction writer.  But, then, I guess I'm being judgemental... which is bad, right?
Sarah

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 11:12:11 PM »

To be honest, though, if people would just look it up, they'd see that Islam is pretty much the same exact religion as Judaism and Christianity--the major difference between the two is the question of the divinity of Christ. My best friend, who is Catholic, and I have great conversations about how all the stories about the prophets are the same in the two religions, right down to the names and everything (except for the whole Original Sin thing). But yeah...

That's so true!  I'm definitely not an expert on Islam, but I've learned a little bit about it in history classes in college, and from what I do know, it really isn't all that different.  Most of the mainstream religions are very similar in a lot of their general beliefs or their teachings about how to live your life.  It's just the little differences that separate them, and unfortunately, people of religions who teach you to "love thy neighbor" are the same ones who criticize and judge "neighbors" who believe differently than them.  It's hypocritical, and I hate it.

There was this quiz posted on LD not too long ago that you could take to find out what religion you should be practicing, according to your beliefs.  It was really interesting!  I'll post it here if I can find it again.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 11:12:36 PM »

To be honest, Scientology just weirds me out.  Especially the parts about Xenu and L. Ron Hubbard being a science fiction writer.  But, then, I guess I'm being judgemental... which is bad, right?

I think it would make a great movie. :D
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »

Hehe, me too.  Don't feel bad. ;)
~Julie

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2008, 11:13:42 PM »

I like to believe that not every Baptist thinks we are a cult and that we are horrible people who are going to hell simply for being mormon, but that has been the response I've gotten from every Baptist I've ever met.  

I dunno what people YOU've been meeting *is extremely bewildered*, but that sucks that you got that impression from people. Personally, I don't think Mormons are horrible people, I just don't have the same beliefs you do. That doesn't mean you're horrible. And only God knows who's going to heaven and who's going to hell, lol. *shrugs* My 2 cents.
~ Amy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10