Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: What if a BSB went to the temple?  (Read 27910 times)

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
What if a BSB went to the temple?
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »

I wasn't certain where to begin this topic, so I thought General Discussion fit it.  Being such a hot topic lately since Mitt Romney is running for president, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons, LDS, etc. for those unfamiliar with the correct name of the church) is under observation and discussion.  Our leaders have been putting out books and such to help illuminate understanding of our beliefs and knock out whatever criticisms and whatnot are out there about our church.

So my question is this...

What if someone were to write a story about one of our Boys falling in love with a Latter-day Saint?  It would be an interesting story - though I suppose it could go on forever, eh?  How accepting of our beliefs would they be?  Would any of the other Boys be opposed to the relationship (and perhaps the church itself for whatever reasons are available)?

Is anyone else on this site a Latter-day Saint or happens to know someone who is?

Any thoughts on this idea?
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: What if a BSB went to the temple?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:27:07 AM »

You're looking at the primary chorister for the Pleasant Hill 2nd ward right here. lol. (and we switch to 8:30 on Sunday. ewe!) I went to Ricks for a while and was married in the Oakland Temple.

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure Brian would damn us all to hell if he could. I went to most of high school in Michigan (where they still believe we all have horns and sacrifice animals and such) and the born again christians and the southern baptists like HATE us. I have been treated so unkindly by many people of those religions that I'm basically afraid of them now (sad to say) and I would be terrified to tell Brian that I was LDS.

I've met Howie and Leigh a couple times and they know I'm LDS and my friend is really good friends with them. They respect our beliefs, but it's just not their thing. I think AJ would be curious and ask questions because he's sort of a soul searcher, and I think both Nick and Kevin would just be sort of indifferent as long as you didn't try to preach at them or anything.

I don't know how many people would be interested in a story about that, (besides us Mormons of course) but from an LDS standpoint I know I've thought about that before, I'm sure it would be as big an adjustment for them as anyone who converts to our religion, except they would have a lot more pressure because they're always in the media and the media would have a field day with news like that. Why do people gotta hate on us so much? lol
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:29:01 AM »

ps. my baby brother comes home from his mission in a few months. Yay!!! I'm excited hehe.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »

For some reason, I kept on reading LSD instead of LDS..  :-\

Other than that.. I have nothing to say in this thread, because I have no idea (oh well maybe a slight idea) of what LDS stands for..
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »

LDS = Latter Day Saint (also known as a Mormon)

I went to school with a guy who is Mormon.  His religious beliefs weren't a big deal at all.  His friends ripped on him for being Mormon in high school, but it was in a good kind of teasing way, not to be mean.  He was pretty popular cause he was really funny.  Like, for the costume contest on Halloween, he showed up to school dressed as a workbench.  He had made a sandwich board type thing out of plywood, and he had actual tools attached to it - hammers and screwdrivers and drills and stuff!  He said it was SO heavy, but he clunked around to every class in it... but then he'd have to take it off so he could sit down LOL.  It was hilarious though.

Anyway... as far as a fic goes, I think it would depend on how the Boys reacted to dating someone with different religious beliefs than them.  Personally, I would have no problem being in a relationship with someone from a different religious background than me, as long as they were a good person.  I mean, there's religious beliefs, and then there's just basic morals.  The morals are more important to me.  Most religions have those in common, even if the spiritual beliefs may differ.  I am pretty open-minded about religion though; I don't necessarily follow even my "own" religion to a T.  Going with the LDS example, I may not agree with everything the Mormons believe, but I like a lot of their values.  But maybe it would matter more to someone like Brian, who is way more hardcore religious than I am.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

Im agreeing with like all of Julie's post. :D

When I was a Senior in High School, the ASB (All Student Body) president was also LDS. And like the guy at Julie's school, his friends did tease him about it, in a nice way it seemed. The only thing I didn't like about him, and this has nothing to do with his religion, of course, was that he was kind of stuck up. *shrug*

And I think that values are more important. There's a difference between being religious and being a good person. And as far as the Boys go, the only one I really see having a problem with it is Brian.

Which is he Catholic? I've always wondered.

Anyway... Kevin might, given the same family background, but other than that, I can't really say. I see Nick asking questions, but not caring as long as no one's trying to convert him or anything. ;)

I don't know a lot about LDS myself though, just those commercials they show on TV.... Which probably sounds like a horrible thing to say... :-[
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

Brian's Baptist.  I think Howie might be Catholic.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »

Ah.... Yeah, Baptist would make sense. Thanks Julie. :)

But I have a feeling that the Boys probably have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy (so to speak) when it comes to religion, at least. I was going to say politics as well, but I don't think that's the case. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »

Isn't Nick a mormon or is that one of those things that was made up inside my head? lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

Yeah, I bet they do have a "Don't ask, don't tell" about a lot of things.  Being in show business, you kinda have to have an open mind, even if you come from a conservative background.  And Brian is so genuinely nice, I really can't imagine him being judgmental.  Maybe deep down he thinks everyone's going to burn, but he doesn't seem like the type to tell them that constantly. :D
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »

I think it says his raised religion somewhere in his mom's book, but I think you made the mormon part up.

*goes to look it up in said book*

Although, at the moment I have a feeling he's probably "Christian" by name only.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »

Honestly, I've never heard anything about Nick being a Mormon.  But who knows.  They do have a lot of kids, but I thought that was just because they're white trash. :D  (No offense to people who come from big families.)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »

Yeah, I bet they do have a "Don't ask, don't tell" about a lot of things.  Being in show business, you kinda have to have an open mind, even if you come from a conservative background.  And Brian is so genuinely nice, I really can't imagine him being judgmental.  Maybe deep down he thinks everyone's going to burn, but he doesn't seem like the type to tell them that constantly. :D

If he ever did, I think I might just die laughing.

But yeah, show business usually has it that way with everything, though lately a lot of celebrities aren't putting politics up there.

It's kind of like being a sorority, we're not supposed to talk about the five B's, and that's usually what celebrities seem to be hush-hush about in a general sense. (The five B's being "Bills," "Bible," "Booze," "Boys," and "Bush.")
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »

Honestly, I've never heard anything about Nick being a Mormon.  But who knows.  They do have a lot of kids, but I thought that was just because they're white trash. :D  (No offense to people who come from big families.)

LMAO.

Catholics also tend to have a lot of kids.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »

^ True.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10