Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: What if a BSB went to the temple?  (Read 28168 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: What if a BSB went to the temple?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »

It's just the little differences that separate them, and unfortunately, people of religions who teach you to "love thy neighbor" are the same ones who criticize and judge "neighbors" who believe differently than them.  It's hypocritical, and I hate it.

That's what I hate most about religion in general. Can't we all just get along, seriously?

All the world shout write BSB fanfic, it'd be a nicer place. ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »

I'm a Methodist, which is a sect of Protestantism.  I think the main difference, or at least one of them, between that and LDS is that Protestants don't regard Joseph Smith as a prophet and don't believe in his story about the golden plates and all of that.  We follow the teachings of the Old and New Testament.  I won't get into Catholicism, but I think Presbyterians, Baptists, and other Protestant sects believe the same stuff overall; they just differ in small areas.  Some are more conservative, stricter, or traditional than others.

I'm not going to pretend to be any kind of religion expert though, so I'm probably not the one who should be answering this question LOL.

You pretty much got it, Julie. There's next to no difference between denominations of Christianity (other than Catholic and Mormon, I mean).

Catholics have extra books in their bible, I know. *shrugs*
~ Amy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 11:15:02 PM »

Here is that religion quiz... Belief-o-Matic!

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »

That's so true!  I'm definitely not an expert on Islam, but I've learned a little bit about it in history classes in college, and from what I do know, it really isn't all that different.  Most of the mainstream religions are very similar in a lot of their general beliefs or their teachings about how to live your life.  It's just the little differences that separate them, and unfortunately, people of religions who teach you to "love thy neighbor" are the same ones who criticize and judge "neighbors" who believe differently than them.  It's hypocritical, and I hate it.

There was this quiz posted on LD not too long ago that you could take to find out what religion you should be practicing, according to your beliefs.  It was really interesting!  I'll post it here if I can find it again.

That's very true with Mormonism too. Most religions are all based around the same core values, we just have different beliefs in the higher power.  I think that any religion in your life is a good and worthy cause no matter which it is because no matter what the overall beliefs are, they're still just trying to give you a sense of purpose and help make you better as a person and live a better life.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »

That's what I hate most about religion in general. Can't we all just get along, seriously?

All the world shout write BSB fanfic, it'd be a nicer place. ;)

Seriously.  Where else can you have a civil discussion about religion without judging anyone (except Scientologists :D) or hurting feelings?  I like that even though we don't all believe the same things, we can talk about it without it getting uncomfortable (I hope no one feels that way right now anyway).
~Julie

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »

seriously. I think I'd rather judge a person on their morals rather than what their beliefs are. If I went around not being friends with people who weren't Muslim, then dude...what the hell am I doing on this forum?! I probably wouldn't be here.  I totally agree with you, Kelly. Most religions do try to teach people a sense of good moral conduct. It's the people that follow those religions that twist it all up.
Sarah

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »

I think BSB should be it's own religion. lol. cause we're so faithful and dedicated and all just get along so well. *sigh* oh if only everyone on Earth loved the Boys the way we do.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

:D I've always thought that about BSB too, Kelly!
~ Amy.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »

I think BSB should be it's own religion. lol. cause we're so faithful and dedicated and all just get along so well. *sigh* oh if only everyone on Earth loved the Boys the way we do.

sometimes, i wonder if God would be angry with me for thinking about the BSB more often than I think about Him.

Then again, there's a LOT of catty, opinionated, and downright mean BSB fans (see LD for examples), so I guess even that religion would have its flaws.
Sarah

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »

sometimes, i wonder if God would be angry with me for thinking about the BSB more often than I think about Him.

Then again, there's a LOT of catty, opinionated, and downright mean BSB fans (see LD for examples), so I guess even that religion would have its flaws.

:D Denominations of BSB.
~ Amy.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

very true and its those people that tarnish the idea of religion in general. I hate to say it, but my own faith can often be some of the most judgmental people on the planet and can be stuck up at times, and its those people that make it harder for the rest of us. Its kind of like while Mormons will always have to live with the polygamy thing, muslims will always have to live with the terrorist thing.  Personally, I think Muslims have it worse off. I'd rather people assume my husband has more than one wife (which he doesn't  :D) rather than have them think I'm going to blow up their plane if I get on it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »

LOL the Church of Backstreet.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2008, 11:25:07 PM »

lol ok, I don't ever go to LD how about if AC were it's own religion. haha I like everyone here.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »

:D Denominations of BSB.

LOL There would be the peaceful ones that accept anyone, the ones who think BSB can do no wrong and don't tolerate anyone making fun of them, the ones who scorn BSB but are still fans for whatever reason, and so on...

Then, each Boy would have his own set of followers as well. I wonder if those could overlap? :P
Sarah

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 11:26:34 PM »

LOL the Church of Backstreet.

Why am I reminded of "The House of Goddess Julie Lewis"? :D *bows head*
~ Amy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10