Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 2126 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
What's in a name?
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »

I dunno if this has ever happened to anyone else but... I just noticed that the fic I'm currently working on (in secret) I got to about the climax when I realized that the name I had given to the female lead was incredibly similar to the name I had given to a character in a different fic. Completely unrelated to mine own name I will first point out, I just thought it was odd. They're different characters in EVERY way imaginable, absolutely nothing in common.

It's not the same name, and they even start with different letters but phonetically they sound similar. I wonder if it's just because I'm drawn to the name or what?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:35:47 PM »

I think we all tend to favor certain kinds of names.  I like "A" names... I have Alexa, Ashalynn, Angela, Annie, Addie... and each of the three main novel ideas I have involve an A-named character... Abigail, Anneliese, Adrienne, plus a short story that would involve another girl named Annie (named for a song, though, so not necessarily my choice.)  A lot of my other female character names start with vowels.  My other big one would be C/K names... Claire, Caitlin, Katelyn, Kaelyn (LOL almost the same name).  It's weird, but most of the major female characters I've named myself (and not for anyone else or for a song or whatever) have those kinds of names.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »

Hmm... in this instance it's Elena and Alaina... I didn't even notice I did it until I was proof reading a part and I kinda got deja vous and was like this is familiar... so I checked the word file for a different story and was like shit the name is almost the same
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

Oh yeah LOL.  Depends on how you pronounce it, but to me, that IS the same name, just spelled differently.  You must just like that name. :)   Like me with the name Katelyn/Caitlin, I guess.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:03:41 AM »

I can't say I favor one name type over another, but when I go for Japanese names, I like the "m" consonate. I've used both "Minako" and "Mariko" and mixed them up on several occasions.

If anyone read "Gobosei," I think there was one point where Mariko's name was written "Minako." lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »

LOL I have given the same name to characters in other stories and haven't realized it until long after I had posted them.

I have a the memory of a gnat.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »

I'm usually pretty careful with the names that I give my main characters, but I have a habit of just randomly naming other minor characters and not remembering what I named them so I use that name again without realizing it. For instance I know its probably really not noticeable because they were both VERY minor characters, but in UMS I named one of the trashy blonde haired groupies that Nick hooks up with in like Ch 14 or 15 Cynthia and then later on in like Chapter 52 or 53 I think I named the principal of the school that Alyssa was working in Cynthia also. Completely coincidental too. So yea, it happens...

I also tend to use the same guy names too. I lack orginality in that dept because I feel there's not as much creativity in guy names. Plus I'm usually using BSB. For any outside male characters I tend to stick with names like Matt, Sean, Josh, Brandon... They just keep popping up in my head.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »

^ I do that with the minor characters too.  That's partly why I started naming those kinds of characters after readers, because I get tired of making up random names and repeating myself LOL.

And yeah, guys' names are hard.  I don't like as many guy names as I do girl names.  It's kinda nice to always write about Bsb cause I don't have to worry about making up as many male characters LOL.
~Julie

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »

Well, I favour 'Tesia' quite a bit, as well as my own name 'Lenore' - I don't mean to use them over & over - & I know some hate when authors use their own names - but most were written back when I was like 15-18. Then I started using made-up names. Now, I just use whatever name happens to pop into my head. Though, I do have a baby names website bookmarked in case I draw a blank - lol. The newest name I love is 'Abrianna'. And I loved 'Ashlynn' for a while as well.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!