Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world  (Read 38714 times)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2008, 12:48:19 AM »

That totally makes sense, Julie. And actually I'm just waiting for my readers to turn on me in my current story because I can see the overall picture and know it will all come together in the end to make a good story, but for my readers right now some of them don't see that and they're already starting to fidget.

Which story is that? If We Were a Movie?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »

Aw, I got that. :) And yes, it did make sense.

It's the same idea as "go with the ending that serves the story." I think being an author is a lot harder than beign a reader. Everyone wants things to go a certain way or fit into a subset of a certain mold. And not everyone does that; it's what I like and hate about fanfic all at once.

I mean, at one side, if everyone had the same tastes and worldviews because then we would all be able to enjoy each other's work and have awesome discussions about it. But because we're all different, I feel like we can appreciate what everyone else does more. Being writers ourselves, I mean.

It's like finding your friends. No one wants a friend just like them, you want friends that have qualities you want, because then hopefully you can grow because of that. :)

And that was a ramble. lmao

There was a book I felt that way about too in tenth grade.... The character's name was Phinneas and he broke his legs and then died or something... I don't remember what it was called... But I wanted to shoot myself... Oh, and "Of Mice and Men." I cannot stand that book. lmao

Yep, I agree.

LOL I didn't mind "Of Mice and Men" because at least it was short.  But the ending sucked!!  I like angst and all, but that was seriously effed up LOL.

In my Brit Lit class my junior year of h.s., we got to choose between reading "Pride and Prejudice" and "Frankenstein."  Naturally, I chose Frankenstein, 1) because P&P sounded like a total bore, and 2) because I love horror and love the movie versions of Frankenstein, so I was actually really excited about reading it.  I read Frankenstein and really disliked it... it's one of the rare cases where I thought the 1930s movie version, which is very different, was a lot better.  I actually found Frankenstein's monster/creature to be a more sympathetic character in the movie than in the book, even though I think it was supposed to be the other way around LOL.  But I just hated him by the end of the book.

We also had to read two Arthur Miller plays, "Death of a Salesmen" and "The Crucible," and I didn't like either of those either.  I was disappointed by "The Crucible" because I thought that one would be interesting, being about the Salem Witch Trials and all, but I didn't really like it.

"Great Expectations" was another one that I found to be a pointless yawner of a story.  Its only redeeming quality was Miss Havisham because she was at least an interesting character.  Well, that and the fact that South Park did a parody of it, and I got the humor because I had read it.

I will never be the type of person to sit around reading those classics for fun, but there were some that I at least kind of got into.  I liked "Romeo & Juliet" and "Macbeth"... "The Odyssey"... "Wuthering Heights"...
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2008, 12:50:12 AM »

A Seperate Peace... OMFG I HATED that book too. All I remember is Phinneas and he fell out of a tree and broke his legs. Otherwise there was NO point whatsoever to it lol

OMG yes! That's the book. lmao!

The only thing I really remember about it besides him falling out of a tree and dying later on (sorry to anyone who wanted to read it but hasn't yet :(), was that we had a quiz on it about half way through or something. And for one of the questions, I answered "He hated that they were playing badmittion for summer athletics." And my English teacher was like "No, the answer is that he hated the Athletic Program." And I remember being pissed off because he totally only hated the badmitton. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 12:52:01 AM »

Which story is that? If We Were a Movie?

yeah. have you been reading that one? lol are you getting fidgety?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 12:54:18 AM »

In my Brit Lit class my junior year of h.s., we got to choose between reading "Pride and Prejudice" and "Frankenstein."  Naturally, I chose Frankenstein, 1) because P&P sounded like a total bore, and 2) because I love horror and love the movie versions of Frankenstein, so I was actually really excited about reading it.  I read Frankenstein and really disliked it... it's one of the rare cases where I thought the 1930s movie version, which is very different, was a lot better.  I actually found Frankenstein's monster/creature to be a more sympathetic character in the movie than in the book, even though I think it was supposed to be the other way around LOL.  But I just hated him by the end of the book.

We also had to read two Arthur Miller plays, "Death of a Salesmen" and "The Crucible," and I didn't like either of those either.  I was disappointed by "The Crucible" because I thought that one would be interesting, being about the Salem Witch Trials and all, but I didn't really like it.

"Great Expectations" was another one that I found to be a pointless yawner of a story.  Its only redeeming quality was Miss Havisham because she was at least an interesting character.  Well, that and the fact that South Park did a parody of it, and I got the humor because I had read it.

I will never be the type of person to sit around reading those classics for fun, but there were some that I at least kind of got into.  I liked "Romeo & Juliet" and "Macbeth"... "The Odyssey"... "Wuthering Heights"...

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book of all time! It was so amazing! lol I pulled a Lenni and was screaming at book characters. lol

I felt the same way about Arthur Miller, go figure. lol The Crucible was only enjoyable for me because we got to make parodies of it in class and my group did Peter Pan as the Salem Witch trials. lmao. I don't have the script anymore, but it was hilarious. lol

I love all Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet is my all time fave though... Maybe it's because of Leo? lol *wants to watch that movie now*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 12:56:35 AM »

I love all Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet is my all time fave though... Maybe it's because of Leo? lol *wants to watch that movie now*

LMAO seriously!  I loved reading R&J because I could imagine Leo and everyone saying the lines in the movie, and it all made so much more sense to me that way LOL.  We watched the 1960s movie of it after we got done reading it, and all us girls kept telling our teacher we should have been watching the Leo version, but she hadn't seen it.  It was good to see the other one though.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2008, 12:58:52 AM »

I felt the same way about Arthur Miller, go figure. lol The Crucible was only enjoyable for me because we got to make parodies of it in class and my group did Peter Pan as the Salem Witch trials. lmao. I don't have the script anymore, but it was hilarious. lol

That sounds hilarious!

We did something like that in 8th grade, when we read The Hobbit.  We got to make up skits of a different part from the story, and my group did something about trolls (my memories of that book are pretty scattered too), and I remember we actually painted our faces green at school and sat around a pretend campfire, and I had brought some of my old Barbies for us to "roast" over the fire and gnaw on LOL.  It was hilarious at the time.
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2008, 12:59:19 AM »

yeah. have you been reading that one? lol are you getting fidgety?

No way! I meant to give you a more in depth review cuz I read it last week. Readers are stupid! I'm actually torn because duh you want him with Jordan, but in a lot of ways I can sympathize with Erin and I know VERY well from personal experience what it feels like to be someone's second best, so I feel for her as well. I'm waiting paitently to see where its going actually. It could go either way right now.

That's the problem sometimes with readers. They want to immdiately jump to the first female that is introduced defense because that's who they 'should" wind up with. And anyone else who comes between that is a bitch. I think I'd like to write a fic where the first girl introduced is the bitch. But then my readers would like her because she was with the guy first.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2008, 12:59:43 AM »

LMAO seriously!  I loved reading R&J because I could imagine Leo and everyone saying the lines in the movie, and it all made so much more sense to me that way LOL.  We watched the 1960s movie of it after we got done reading it, and all us girls kept telling our teacher we should have been watching the Leo version, but she hadn't seen it.  It was good to see the other one though.

I am not a fan.   *big shocker* I hate the ending.

actually I am surprised though that Shakespeare In Love is one of my favorite movies because it's ending sucks too.

but I actually made Josh read Pride and Prejudice to me. It was too hard for me to read on my own and I really really wanted to read it. I LOVE that book!!!! One of my faves of all time! I heart Jane!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »

Funny story. When we read it in class, our teacher actually let us watch both versions and we compared it to the book. It was amazing. lol

I remember distinctly proclaiming my love for Leo once and Kevin replied with a mumbled "I hate Leonardo DiCaprio." And it was only years later I understood why. ROFL.
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2008, 01:00:23 AM »

*sigh* Oh Leo... *thinks back to 8th and 9th grade*

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »

OMG yes! That's the book. lmao!

The only thing I really remember about it besides him falling out of a tree and dying later on (sorry to anyone who wanted to read it but hasn't yet :(), was that we had a quiz on it about half way through or something. And for one of the questions, I answered "He hated that they were playing badmittion for summer athletics." And my English teacher was like "No, the answer is that he hated the Athletic Program." And I remember being pissed off because he totally only hated the badmitton. lol

Omg, that's what I hated about English classes.  If it's true that literature is up to interpretation, how could you mark an answer like that wrong?  Plus, that just sounds PICKY!!

Also, I've said this before, but I really find it hard to believe that when all those authors wrote their stories, they purposefully included all of the symbolism and whatnot that we learn about when reading them in English classes today.  They probably had no idea how much their stories would be analyzed centuries later.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »

*sigh* Oh Leo... *thinks back to 8th and 9th grade*

*sigh* suddenly feels very old.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »

We did something like that in 8th grade, when we read The Hobbit.  We got to make up skits of a different part from the story, and my group did something about trolls (my memories of that book are pretty scattered too), and I remember we actually painted our faces green at school and sat around a pretend campfire, and I had brought some of my old Barbies for us to "roast" over the fire and gnaw on LOL.  It was hilarious at the time.

lmao We did something like that for Romeo and Juliet too in high school. It was the scene where they all found out Juliet was "dead." I was the nurse and Kevin was Friar Laurence. And all through the rehersal I kept calling Juliet "Houlietta" and Kevin kept saying that "The nurse and the friar should go make out out back." Sad thing was, when it came time to perform, we both slipped up with those lovely gems. lol
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2008, 01:04:15 AM »

I am not a fan.   *big shocker* I hate the ending.

actually I am surprised though that Shakespeare In Love is one of my favorite movies because it's ending sucks too.

but I actually made Josh read Pride and Prejudice to me. It was too hard for me to read on my own and I really really wanted to read it. I LOVE that book!!!! One of my faves of all time! I heart Jane!

To be fair, it's not called a trajedy for nothing. lol

Jane is love! I've been meaning to read Sense and Sensibilty. Kelly, can we read it together? lmao Like a weekly read aloud book club?
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15