Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you hope to accomplish...  (Read 3153 times)

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
What do you hope to accomplish...
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:37:16 AM »

...with your writing?

I'm not sure we've actually had a thread explicitly asking this, though I know there are some people on this forum who've indirectly talked about what they want to do with their fanfic writing careers.

Do you write because it's fun? Because you're obsessed with the Boys and writing about them makes you somehow closer to them? Is fanfic just a stepping stone to getting your original fiction published? Are you writing simply because it lets you be a part of a great big network of BSB fans and writers (like this forum)? Do you write because all of the above is true or are there other reasons?

Basically, why are you here and writing BSB fanfic? Why keep doing it?

So spill... ;D
Sarah

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: What do you hope to accomplish...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:17:23 AM »

I write fan fic for many reasons. It's a great creative outlet for me. I've always had a great imagination and have loved to write, but I don't know if I have the discipline to write anything original. I'm not sure if I'd actually want to get published someday. Personally I'm not sure if I'm actually good enough and if I am I'm afraid that the whole editing process would take the fun out of writing.

So why fan fic? I'm not sure. I guess because we have a nice, fairly large, underground community of readers. Does that make sense?

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »

I write for several reasons, as well. I write because it is the best way for me to express myself and it acts as an escape from my life. I also write because it is one of the few things I am really good at. I feel like my writing is one of my talents in life. And it is hopefully going to be my career in the future - either fiction or writing for radio/television. There are several more reasons, but those are the main ones.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »

I enjoy telling stories a great deal.  Whether it be through writing, drawing or putting on a skit I think it's a lot of fun.

My main reason for writing backstreet boys fiction specifically is because it's got such a huge following.  I probably would still be writing anyway even if no one read it, just because I find it enjoyable but the fact that there's such a big network of people (especially on this site alone) makes it all the more entertaining.  We write, we chat with each other about our stories and make a ton of friends along the way. 

I originally started writing fan fic back in 1999 because it was a way to feel closer to my beloved backstreet boys.  Now I've kind of moved on from that and simply enjoy the storytelling aspect of it.  It's fun, what can I say? :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:34:59 PM »

I started reading fanfic in an attempt to get to know the guys better. I became a BSB fan pretty late in the game. In fact, they were pretty much just about to go on hiatus at the time so I felt like even though I loved their music I didn't know much about them. I stumbled upon fanfiction while doing a search on BSB and had no idea what the heck was going on lol

Luckily ther fanfic I stumbled on was Ground Zero and it was so well written and Chaos captured the guys so well I became enthralled and really started looking for old interviews etc...

From there I just figured I could write the stuff to and that's how I got into writing fanfic. I think for me writing fanfic just helped to improve my writing overall and most importantly it gave me the confidence to write original fics and not worry about being laughed at.

I think i've already achieved my fanfic writing goals which were mainly to write something that people would enjoy reading and make it realistic enough that those same people would come back for more. It's been a huge part of my life and i've met the best people in the world because of it. For me, it's time to move on, but I know i'll occasionally write a short BSB fic here and there because you can't just give up something you love.

that was my thesis lol :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

^wow, Mare. thanks for summing up basically everything that I was going to say as well. I've been a BSB fan for over 10 years, but I didn't discover fanfic until the very boring summer after I graduated from high school. In the nearly three years since then, I've devoured tons of fics and written boatloads of them as well.  Fanfic definitely made me an even bigger fan of the Boys, but, like Mare said, it helped me meet tons of really awesome people (like this forum). It's been awesome to find a group of people that share the same love of the Boys as I do, and it's been terrific getting to read some really amazing pieces of writing.

Getting awesome reviews and help on writing from you guys and my readers (some of you are both lol) has really helped me in my original fiction attempts.  For me, it's definitely time to move on from the fanfic-ing, but I'll keep writing the random short stories for the challenges Mare comes up with lol Of course, i could never leave this forum because it's like a little online family *squishy hugs to all of you*

If, one day, I have the incredible, incredible, incredible luck of being published, I'll be sure to dedicate it to the AC forum, the BSB, and to the fluffy bunnies that let me throw them ;D
Sarah

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »

I never really used to write as a hobby before I started with Bsb fanfic, and I only started that out of a boredom and because I had an idea and because I loved the Boys and thought I might enjoy writing about them as much as I did reading about them.

I still write because it's fun, it makes me feel good, and I still love the Boys.  Right now, I'm content with writing fanfic, but one day, when I have the right idea, I would like to branch out into original fiction too and write a novel.  It would be cool to try and get it published someday, in the distant future, but that's not an immediate goal of mine.  I don't really know what I want to accomplish at this point... just starting a new story and actually continuing to write the thing would be an accomplishment right now LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:40:04 PM »

I think it started out as a fun thing to do with friends for me... Then the right story came along and I just wanted to write for fun. It's a fun little hobby, isn't it? :)

These days, it's all about the story for me, so if it needs to be a BSB fic, it ought to be a BSB fic. At least that's my opinion.... since it's just a hobby I don't really have time for. lol

And I mean, with friends like all you all, who wouldn't want to write BSB fanfic. *squishy hugs*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 12:26:12 AM »

For me it started out as just this crazy idea I had to get out of my head, so I wrote it down. I'd written a number of stories before I realized I wasn't the only person who did that kind of thing.   Since then, writing has become my favorite pastime and my creative outlet. It's almost a necessary part of my day. lol. I never really had any goals with it, but the more I write, the more serious I become about it, and am slowly gaining the confidence I need to take it seriously. I would love to be published one day and am getting closer to actually attempting it, and who knows? Maybe if I try hard enough, I might could make a career of it one day.  It would seriously be rad to walk into borders one day and see my book sitting on the shelf.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 04:17:15 AM »

Am I the only one who wrote before BSB? lol.

I've litterally been writing since 2nd grade when we got told to for homework, and my teacher told my mom that for a 6 year old I was very creative and knew how to tell a story. LOL when I was like 8/9 years old my mom got me a typewriter for my birthday to encourage my writing love. Since then I've been writing all sorts of stories.

It actually runs in my family. My great grandmother published books of poetry, my mother once wrote poetry all the time and got published in magazines. Me? I can't write a poem to save my life (to me, but I've tried), instead it comes out in stories.

When I first discovered fanfic back in 2000, at ff.net, I actually had gone there to share original stories, and stumbled upon bsb fanfic by accident. Since then I started instead of basing all my characters off my friends and family, based them off the boys themselves. (Well more Nick and Brian...and now AJ). Why not write my own stories, and place them in the roles? Only now am I finally writing them as BSB, and not in AU stories.

I think I have talent, I've had many teachers, and professors constantly telling me that I have a gift for telling a story, for putting anything together with words. Discipline? Not so much yet, but I've gotten better. But when the right story comes along, I'm going to submit it and see where it goes. One day I want to have something published. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. Yes I'm pursuing a career in social work, but I'd love to have a side thing with my biggest passion.

And like Kelly said, it would be so damn spiffy to walk into Barnes and Noble, and see a book by me, with my name in bold letters on the cover next to books by say Stephen King, or Dean Koonz, ya know?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 08:47:39 AM »

Don't worry you're not lol I didn't start writing fanfic until the summer of 2000 but prior to that I had 2 poems published in a magazine, and wrote poetry almost exclusively. Until 1999 we lived in Europe and didn't have internet at home, then after moving to Canada we got internet, and it took me a while to even discover fanfic but once I did I knew I wanted to start writing it.

It really consumed my life to the point that I nearly completely stopped writing original work, but it was my english teacher that managed to find the middle ground between both, and for me that was AU. I could write to my heart's content and still use it as submissions of creative writing because it wasn't *bsb*.

I don't really want to accomplish anything with my writing, it's a hobby. The only goals I have for my fics is for them to be completed.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 08:55:23 AM »

I wrote poetry and song lyrics long before BSB, so you're not the only one. I also used to write a lot of stories for school. My teachers were always asking me to write more, so I did.

I actually started reading fan fics during my depression just before I found out about my Bi-Polar Disorder (2002). I was out of school for six months, and I was bored and lonely. I spent a lot of time surfing the Internet, and I ended up on a fan fiction site. I didn't know what it was at the time, so I started reading, and I was immediately hooked. Ever since then, I've wanted to start writing, but I could never find the right idea. Now I seem to be full of them.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »

No, I just conviniently left that part out of my story because I'm stupid.... lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »

I have always dreamed of writing a children's book, though it's progressed to young adult as the years have gone on. So I wrote a lot when I was younger.

I never really knew you could write fanfic until I started hanging out with Amanda and she actually has been writing fanfic for lots of different genres for YEARS.  She got me into it and the boys just happened to be something that I liked enough to come up with interesting (or at least what I think are interesting) story lines.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »

Oddly enough, even though I loved writing stories for Young Authors at school every year, I never did really write for fun on my own until fanfic came along.  And I still don't write original fiction just for the hell of it, so maybe there's something to those Backstreet Boys LOL.  One day I know I would like to crossover to original fiction, but only when I get bored, uninspired, or just plain out of ideas for Bsb.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2