Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Guess Who Wrote It (game)  (Read 21637 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Guess Who Wrote It (game)
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »

We're going to play a game, but I need your participation!  The game is called "Guess Who Wrote It," and the goal is to see if we can match up authors to excerpts from their stories.

If you want to be included as one of the authors featured in the game, PM me with an excerpt from one of your stories.  (Short... like a parapraph or a few lines.)  Try to make the excerpt something generic, so it won't give away what story it's from, or something from one of your most obscure stories that you think no one has read.  You can change names or other give-aways if you want to; just don't change anything else.  The goal is to see if we can recognize your writing style.

When I get enough submissions, we'll start Round 1.  I'll post maybe five pieces of writing and five names, and you guys will try to correctly match them up.

So... authors, PM me some writing!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Guess Who Wrote It (game)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »

I sent! I sent! ;D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Round 1
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »

Here are the names of five authors, followed by five story excerpts.  See if you can match up the authors with their writing.  Just go ahead and post your guesses here... we can wait at least a day or so and give everyone a chance to guess, then reveal the correct answers.

Authors:
1. honey
2. mersey
3. alota_cookin
4. Sinara
5. nicksgal

Writing:

A.
"Here.” A.J. tossed his key to her.
“Are you kidding?” she asked as she caught the keys, “Nick said you are anal about letting people drive your vehicles. He said that your girlfriends aren’t even that privileged, unless you’re drunk. Of course, referring to when you USED to get drunk.”
“Yeah, well,” he shrugged, “it has full coverage. I trust you.”
“WOOOOOOOOO! I GET TO DRIVE AN ESCALADE! I GET TO DRIVE AN ESCALADE!” she sang as she started dancing in circles.

B.
In fact, if he could have, Nick would have skipped the awards all together, but the guys were presenting tonight and they needed him. No matter what was going on in his personal life, Nick always did what was best for the group, so he would attend the awards. But he’d be damned if he was going with some Mary fucking Sue that Brian plucked straight from the congregation at church on Sunday, with hopes of reforming poor messed up Nick. And those were the exact words that followed the “Hell no,” he’d given Brian.

C.
The boys are having an album launch party right now. I was invited but I called them up and told them I couldn’t come. Today is their day, their album, their new beginning.

We promised to do lunch once their schedule settled down a little. For now, I’m just happy to be where I am. In the middle of our past (I still can’t believe Nick let me step on his back and have it stilled forever in this picture!) while surrounded by the sound of the new Backstreet Boys.

I picked up the CD sleeve and browsed through.

Some things just never change though. Typical Backstreet Boys, would it kill them to print out the lyrics?

D.
The thick, dark cold tried to smoother her as she fought to take a breath and break free of the haze that surrounded her, forcing her into a submissive, lifeless state, at the mercy of her unconscious mind. Her face broke into a look of concentration and pain as she fought to wake up from her endless sleep. The faintest moan of displeasure escaped her lips as her body began to regain feeling and motion.

The room was silent as the other three occupants continued to sleep through their friend’s internal struggle, having been guests in the ICU wing of the hospital for the last week while waiting for their friend to wake up. Unbeknownst to all of them, the woman they had come to support was fighting an inner battle with herself, trying to clear the cobwebs that had taken up residence in her mind. Due to the stress caused by the loss of her family, her body had shut down in an attempt to heal itself, forcing the devastated woman into a self-induced coma that ended up lasting a week.

E.
“Oh, yeah… What did you want to tell me?” Lucia turned to Sarah.
Sarah hit her head, “I can’t believe I almost forgot!” She stopped and grabbed Lucia’s shoulders, “The Backstreet Boys are finally releasing a new album! Can you believe it? After five years, they’re releasing a new album!”
Lucia cocked her head, “It’s not an internet rumor?”
Sarah gave her a small glare, “Since when do I partake in internet rumors? I’m a member of the BSBNRA!”
“The Backstreet Boys have a sect of the national rifle association?”
“No Rumors Alliance!!” Sarah shook Lucia’s shoulders.
“You think you would come up with a better acronym….”
“Well, that’s what it is! We’re an alliance that stops rumors from spreading!!” Sarah continued to shake Lucia’s shoulders.
Lucia laughed, “I get it, I get it…”
Sarah released her grip on Lucia’s shoulders and composed herself, “I heard the new song this morning on Z100! It’s amazing! And I heard the Boys were coming here to promote it!” She gave Lucia a smile again, “Want to go to TRL again? They have to be on it!”
Lucia shook her head, “You know… the way you talk about them like they’re your own family is a little twisted….”
Sarah shook her head, “I’m serious, we’ll go to all their promotional events! We’ll get their autographs and have lunch with them!”
“Since when do they have lunch with their fans?”
Sarah clenched her fist excitedly, “How could they not have lunch with us?”
Lucia put her hands on Sarah’s shoulders, “What about the standardized exams coming up? Don’t you care about them? You’re the one that wants to go to an Ivy League school!”
“Hey… The Boys haven’t released an album in five years! We have to support them!”
“What about the exams?”
Sarah raised an eyebrow, “I study every day… I don’t need to cram for the exams… And since we’ve been studying together for the past five years, neither should you…”
Lucia lowered her head, “You know, I think I’m going to write a strongly worded letter of complaint to them.”
Sarah took in a gasp, “AJ would hate me! And then he won’t eat lunch with me!”
Lucia spread out her hands and laughed a little, “Dear Backstreet Boys, Next time you want to go on hiatus, please send me a monthly check for the medical bills I incur when my best friend sends me to the hospital from too much studying. Please include a demo tape with your first monthly check to keep her quiet…. In the event that your hiatus extends past a year, I will raise the amount of that monthly check by double the original value…”
Sarah grabbed Lucia’s hands, “They’ll think I’m weird if you send that! Lucia! They’ll think I’m weird, Lucia!”
Lucia laughed, “I won’t, I won’t….”
Sarah laughed a little too, “You’re lying, you’re lying!”
“Writing takes too much effort, Sarah, and they’ll never read it… Do they really have time to read letters like that? They’d laugh at it….” Lucia continued to laugh.
“You’d make them read it just so you could spite me!”
“Look, if I knew the Backstreet Boys, I’d have set you up with AJ a long time ago.”
Sarah stopped and tightened her grip on Lucia’s hands, “Really?”
Lucia laughed, “Of course, of course!”

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:45 PM »

No one wants to guess?  Especially people who don't have an excerpt up here?  LOL
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »

aww, see I have a couple guesses, but I didn't want to guess cause I'm one of the people up there.  Sadly though, I suck and two of them I've never read any of their stuff. But the other two I think I know which are theirs.

but for now I'll guess that  Mersey is C? and Dee is D? 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

If I guess, I give mine away...
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »

I know... I wish some others would guess.  But at least you guys can guess on the next round.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »

I would totally participate and guess but I've read them all a couple times now and I have no idea who matches with which excerpts.

Completely random and totally unreasonable guesses are:

1 = B
2 = D
3 = C
4 = E
5 = A

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »

Okay, since I am one of them I will only take a guess on two of the others that way it won't give mine away. Does that make sense? I don't actually recognize any of the clips so I am only guessing here...

1. honey - I'll say B

5. nicksgal - C?

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »

I will give this a try. Unfortunately though I probably haven’t read any of these, or I don’t remember the excerpts at all. Dang it I’m old! Well here it is… :-\

1. B
2. C
3. E
4. D
5. A

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »

I'll take a whack at it lol

A - alota_cookin
B - honey
C - mersey
D - nicksgal
E - Sinara

when do we find out the answers? lol
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »

okay here are my guesses

A. Alota_cookin
B. Dee
C. Mersey
D. Honey
E. Sinara
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »

when do we find out the answers? lol

Probably late tonight or tomorrow... I wanted to give you at least 24 hours or so to guess.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »

I'm so sneaky.... muahahahahaha. ...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »

I don't have enough submissions for a Round 2 yet... I think I'm 2 or 3 short... so I will post the answers to Round 1 when I get enough for a Round 2.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7