Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Year, so lets see what we accomplished Last Year!  (Read 22170 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: New Year, so lets see what we accomplished Last Year!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »

I have been at a standstill with everything, sadly. I have a few ideas for a new original fic and want to write my second chapter for the Lima Bean story but I have absolutely no drive to do it. I sit in front of the computer and start doing other things instead. It's like something is keeping me from starting and I haven't figured out why. It's annoying. I am pretty sure my fanfic days are over. I have no desire to write it anymore which sucks because I wanted to finish Protect and Serve, not that anyone was reading it anyway, but more for me.

I hate that feeling.  I've never gone through a slump that has lasted very long, but I definitely know the feeling of wanting to write (or at least thinking I should) and sitting down and then not doing it, or not being able to, even when I know what to write.  The whole writer's block/no muse/no motivation thing is so frustrating.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »

I have been at a standstill with everything, sadly. I have a few ideas for a new original fic and want to write my second chapter for the Lima Bean story but I have absolutely no drive to do it. I sit in front of the computer and start doing other things instead. It's like something is keeping me from starting and I haven't figured out why. It's annoying. I am pretty sure my fanfic days are over. I have no desire to write it anymore which sucks because I wanted to finish Protect and Serve, not that anyone was reading it anyway, but more for me.

I know what you mean.  I need a computer that's not hooked up to the internet because I sit down to write and think, "I'll check my email real quick..." which leads to facebook, which leads to...

Have you been reading a lot?  I know you said you hadn't very much as far as fan fiction goes, but I mean in general.  That is what usually inspires me to write-- I get into a good book and then I begin to form my own ideas. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »

^ Yes, actually I read all the time. I just re-read Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven today. I am hoping that by reading some of the greater novels, it'll inspire me to do something. So far, no luck lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:16 AM »

I know what you mean about getting distracted with things like Facebook!  I sit down with my laptop and a couple of hours will pass without actually getting anything done.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »

I have to sometimes take my internet icon off my quick launch bar, or at least hide it, so I have to think before I click on it.  I'm notorious for stopping mid-sentence to randomly go check Twitter or this forum or whatever, and then I get distracted LOL.  That's the only thing I miss about having dial-up - when I wasn't connected to the internet all the time, I got a lot more done LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »

I can't even use that as an excuse. I don't really even spend a lot of time surfing all that much anymore. I think for me, i've kind of lost interest in the computer in general. I find after about 20 minutes, i'm ready to go do something else.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »

I go through phases... sometimes I could sit at the computer for hours and be perfectly content, and other days I'm hardly on the computer at all except to check my mail.

Writing is that way too... There are some days where, if I have nothing I need to do, I get going and can write all day.  It usually takes me about an hour to write a page, because I'm so anal about it and get distracted easily.  Yet there are days where I can knock off ten pages, which means at the end of the day, I've spent about ten hours writing.  That's when everything is flowing, and I'm happy, and it's great, and I write either until I finish the part or can't keep my eyes open anymore, and then I go to bed, and I get up in the morning, excited about writing some more, and... nothing.  I get nothing done the next day, even if all the other conditions are exactly the same.  Why is that?  It's so frustrating LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »

I used to do that as well. LOL I don't know, it's weird.

I can blame lots of things. Maybe it's my uncomfortable computer chair, or the fact that I no longer live alone. My spare bedroom is very cold (that's where my computer is) Eh, I'll just blame Twilight lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

I blame my computer chair too. :(   It's not a bad chair; it's a spinny desk chair, and it's padded... but I think I got way spoiled when I had a laptop and spent all my time sitting or half-lying on my bed with it LOL.  So much more comfortable than sitting at a desk.  I can sit for hours if I'm actually DOING something, writing or whatever, but just reading... can't do it.  I can't remember the last time I spent hours at once reading a fanfic.  I think if I were to get engrossed in one, I could do it... but that doesn't happen very often anymore.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »

I am just using a regular old folding chair and it sucks lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »

Yikes!  I bet.
~Julie

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »

I blame my computer chair too. :(   It's not a bad chair; it's a spinny desk chair, and it's padded... but I think I got way spoiled when I had a laptop and spent all my time sitting or half-lying on my bed with it LOL.  So much more comfortable than sitting at a desk.  I can sit for hours if I'm actually DOING something, writing or whatever, but just reading... can't do it.  I can't remember the last time I spent hours at once reading a fanfic.  I think if I were to get engrossed in one, I could do it... but that doesn't happen very often anymore.

I know what you mean about the laptop.  When I first got mine was actually when I really started getting into fan fiction again.  I'd been wanting to (in college, there just wasn't enough time for it), but i hadn't really thought about how important the connection was until you just said it. 

I really like being able to write in different settings- even if its just across the room.  And, it sounds weird, but having a laptop made me feel like more of a writer. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 06:24:08 PM »

I really like being able to write in different settings- even if its just across the room.  And, it sounds weird, but having a laptop made me feel like more of a writer. 

I totally know what you mean.  That was another nice part of having a laptop.  I remember sometimes when I was writing Broken, I would try sitting on the floor or in a different room with my laptop to write, and just the change in setting would help get me going again.  I miss being able to do that, too.
~Julie

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »

I did this last years, so I'm going to do it again.  :)

1.  What was your biggest writing- or fanfic-related accomplishment of 2008 2009?
     Writing Mistakes Made ... Lessons Learned. I've just past my one year mark on it and have almost 100 chapters. I'm kind of proud of myself for keeping with it this long.
2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did in 2009?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's a really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.
      I have to say MMLL, it's the only writing I did in 2009.
3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 20082009).
    Honestly I don't think I can answer this. I go back and reread stuff in my files and I KNOW i could have done better.
4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.
  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9227  Shimly. I know it's completely corny and chessy, but I still like it.
5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.
I don't know if they are underappreciat ed but I defintly think summer03 and summer are great writers.
6.  What was the best story you discovered in 20082009?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9497&warning=4  summer's Once in a Blue Moon. Truly a great story. She is an amazingly gifted writer, her sense of detail in just incredible.
7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.
summer... see comments in #6.
8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 20092010?  If so, what are they?
To write better and to be more detailed. I wish I could write like summer. I also want to learn how to create the bridges to connect all the ideas for specific stories that are swirling around in my brain.
Add on Question: Has anything changed since the last time you answered this? Why?

Nope.. I still need to learn to write better.

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »

I did this last years, so I'm going to do it again.  :)
5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.
I don't know if they are underappreciat ed but I defintly think summer03 and summer are great writers.
6.  What was the best story you discovered in 20082009?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9497&warning=4  summer's Once in a Blue Moon. Truly a great story. She is an amazingly gifted writer, her sense of detail in just incredible.
Was summer03 writing a Nick-centered historical romance at some point?  It was set in an Austen-esque time period.  I couldn't find it on her page, so I'm not sure it she took it down or if I'm thinking of someone else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3