Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge  (Read 45695 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Mel!

One thing about the celeb cameos, they're more meant to mock, since Howie is the "forgotten" Backstreet Boy. We thought it'd be funny if he led a pack of forgotten boybanders as his minions. Which is why, when you see the members of FANS, they're all the members that weren't too popular. And why something had to happen to send Justin over there. But you're right, it's a perference thing. Sadly we have more original characters meant to come in, but we (still)  in some ways, haven't gotten that far yet lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2011, 12:11:38 AM »

Thanks, Mel!  I'm glad you feel that the story is flowing better now.  That's what we were hoping for.  I know just in the times I've reread parts of it, I feel like Episodes 4 and onward are stronger than the first three in that sense.  That said, they also get more "out there," so I know that might be a challenge for a reader like you who prefers realistic fiction.

Rose just went and added science fiction to the genre list for this story because it really does incorporate some sci-fi elements, with all the little gadgets and weapons, genetically-altered penguins, and what you've read about in Episode 5.  In the spirit of spoofing James Bond and Austin Powers, it's definitely over the top and out there.  Even though it has its serious moments, it's meant to a comedy/spoof, above anything else, and so it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It's funny because when we are writing about real places and things that really exist, we are very diligent about researching and staying as true to life as possible, but for the sake of keeping it outlandish and entertaining, we take plenty of creative liberties and stretch reality to its limits, too.  It's a nice challenge for me because I am a lot like you - I prefer realistic fiction, rather than sci-fi or fantasy, but this is the story where I get to be creative and use my imagination and sense of humor the most, and I love it for that.

I've also never been a big fan of crossovers, but we built our 00Carter universe around using celebrities in this alternate universe.  FANS is made up of the "forgotten" members of boybands, who are not pop stars in this universe, but wannabes who couldn't make the cut of Himitsu Takana or real agencies like the FBI, CIA, or MI6.  Most of the non-BSB celebrities are just in there for us to mock; we didn't want to fill the story with original characters that would take away from the fact that it's still supposed to be mainly a Backstreet Boys AU fanfic.  I understand you not liking the celeb cameos, though; it's just a personal preference.

I hope you did end up liking Episode 5!  That one isn't my favorite just because it takes quite a turn and is a lot different from the other episodes, but it has its moments.  My favorite episode is probably Episode 6, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on that one. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »

OK, up to Chapter 52 now.

A few things have come up which made me wonder.  If Nick and Amanda were best friends in Florida when they were kids, how come her parents don't know him?  How come they live in New Jersey?  Did she just spend summers in Florida or something?  How come no one seemed to know who Aaron was when he turned up, and Amanda didn't know Nick's mother.  If they were best friends, surely they'd have met, been to each others houses, etc.  I also find it odd that her parents haven't seen Celine yet, surely they would've come for a visit as she's their grand daughter.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.
You Give Love A Bad Name by DelphinaCarter .  I think the genre should be Romance/AU/Drama

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?
I probably wouldn't because this is the third in the series, the series starts with Nick as a 10 year old I believe.  I don't really care to read stories about the Backstreet Boys when they were little kids.

3) What was your favorite scene?
The romantic location and proposal at the end.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?
Probably Brian because he was there for Amanda through it all, and he seemed to be the only one looking after the baby, despite being a policeman who did double shifts.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.
If you want a nice easy read with a bit of drama and a happy ending then you might like it.  If you like stories with more background story behind what's going on, more details and more realistic, then this won't be for you.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?
I already like AU/Romance/Drama, so yes I would read more stories in those genres.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.
I'm not being negative here, but the story started out with a lot of promise, but it didn't live up to what I wanted it to be.  I would've liked more details rather than one event after another without much description.  I also think it you are writing a baby into the story, you have to deal with the baby and not shove it off onto people.  I know the character runs her own nightclub, but surely she isn't the only person there, doesn't she have a manager to help?  I feel that it's not realistic for a new mother to work really long hours and dump her baby on friends, especially when the main person looking after the baby seems to be Brian, who also has a full time job as a policeman.  I know it's fiction and you thought it would be boring to write about the baby, so why did she have the baby?  Or why doesn't she have a childminder rather than various male friends who have no clue about babies.  This story gives the impression that Nick and Amanda couldn't give a shit about their baby, and I hate parents like that.  I'm not having a go, I just want to help you understand that from a mother's point of view, that seemed irresponsible of them.  Maybe other people are fine with it.  I'm sorry to go on about it, but I could rant all day when it comes to people having kids who shouldn't.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different.
Tracy asked if the story flows well.  I have to say that a lot of it does flow well, it's an easy and fun read most of the time.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not.
I would recommend Tracy to others as she has some good ideas, she just needs to expand them a bit more and think about what her characters are doing. 

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?
I'll give it 6.

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

N/A because it's complete.

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on?

They've got their happy ending, so what else is there?

Sorry for my honesty, and I hope you aren't offended Tracy.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

Wow Steph! You have finished both of your stories and meanwhile some of us have barely gotten started on our first. You rock!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »

Wow Steph! You have finished both of your stories and meanwhile some of us have barely gotten started on our first. You rock!

When it's quiet in work I get a lot of reading done.  Plus I've not done much this weekend due to the crappy British weather. 

I'd happily read more :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2011, 11:50:13 AM »

^ Well feel free to read the rest of your picks or any of the other ones on the list. :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »

I'll take a look and see what else is there that I haven't already read. 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »

There is actually a sequel to the story....Still The One. I would also like to point out that this story was my first one...I wrote it 3 years ago.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:34 PM »

As for By My Side, Nick is not ten during the whole story, I appreciate that you read mine and the feedback.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »

Stories about Nick as a child obviously appeal to some people, just not me.  We all like different types of stories, and AC is a great place for showing the diversity in writing.  If we all liked the same thing, it would be boring.

I hope you aren't offended by my comments.  My comments were meant to be helpful.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »

I just finished reading my story, so here's my survey!

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.
I read "My Answer Is You" by Rachel (colorguard_div a).  I agree with the genres she gave it - drama and romance.

Probably not.  I am a Brian girl, so it might have caught my eye, but after reading the summary, I doubt I would have even clicked on it.  The premise isn't one that I would find interesting; I just don't get easily sucked into romances that are all about interpersonal drama.  I usually need something more than that, some outside drama or life-or-death situation, to suck me into a story.

My favorite scene was probably Chapter 15, when Nick comes back to his hotel room to find Brian and Josie in bed together, after specifically telling them "No hanky panky in my bed."  There was a lot of comedy in that chapter; Nick was funny.

My favorite character was Nick because he was the unlikely voice of reason.  He had a good relationship with both of the main characters and gave them better advice than anyone else.  He helped stop all the drama and shenanigans.  He provided some comic relief, too.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.
If you genuinely love romance as a study of the interpersonal relationship between two people, read this story.  It's well-written and short and simple enough that it would make for a nice, rainy day read.  The two main characters are flawed in a way that makes their relationship quite dysfunctional at times, so readers who enjoy that kind of drama would probably find them interesting to read about.

If you're like me and prefer event-driven stories to character-driven ones, it's probably not the story for you.  It's definitely character-driven, and while there is plenty of drama in the story, it's just not the kind of drama I find interesting.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?
No, it didn't convert me to romance any more than I already was.  I do read some romance, but usually only when it is more of a subplot or has more event-driven, dramatic or suspenseful subplots to keep it interesting for me.  I have read other stories like this, and I'm not likely to read more for my own enjoyment unless the premise, writing style, or characters were just so engaging that they sucked me in from the beginning.  I can only think of one romance that has truly done that to me, and that is "Cover Me With Dreams" - which still, I should add, took me two tries to get into LOL.  I am just not a big fan of that kind of romance.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.
Except for a few typos and mixing up your/you're on occasion, this story was well-written.  It made for a quick, easy read because it was just detailed enough without being too wordy.  The only constructive criticism I can give is about point of view, which we've already discussed here.  I found the point of view awkward at times, when it switched from Josie's first person narration to Brian's third person perspective within the same scene.  I think it would have been smoother and less awkward to tell the story totally in third person omniscient point of view, so that the reader could still have insight into any of the characters' thoughts without one of them actually telling parts of the story.

8) Rachel's question:  Did you find the female lead to be multi-dimensional enough that she appeared realistic?
Yes.  I wasn't sure at first, but as the story progressed, I do feel I got to know and understand Josie as a person.  She wasn't a Mary Sue; she was far from perfect, and little story time was given to describing her physical appearance and that kind of thing.  I couldn't always relate to her, but I think it's just because her personality is completely different from mine.  She came across as a drama queen and an avoider, the kind of person who blows little things out of proportion and then runs off in a huff instead of stopping to think things through and resolve the problem.  I know people who are just like that, so even though her over-the-top reactions frustrated me, they weren't unrealistic.  I also believed in her relationship with her son, which was a big part of the story.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not?
I would definitely recommend "My Answer Is You" to any romance fan.  I have to admit that I haven't read any other of Rachel's stories, but from reading this one, I think she's a great writer and would recommend her writing to anyone.  I would be interested to read a story by her in a different genre.

I'd give it an 8.  It was a good story, even if it wasn't really my cup of tea.

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?
N/A, since the story is finished.

12) And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on?
In all honesty, probably not.  The characters got their happy ending at the end of this story, so I feel like a sequel would either be all fluff about their family or manufactured drama for the sake of creating conflict, neither of which would really interest me.  I think Rachel picked the perfect place to end the story.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »

I am not offended by the comments...I just have to get better at writing, that was my first story and not my best work.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »

I am not offended by the comments...I just have to get better at writing, that was my first story and not my best work.

Maybe it was the wrong story to submit for this challenge. I mean if you knew it wasn't your best, your first fic, etc., you probably should've submitted something more recent, knowing you were signing up to receive constructive criticism. That way you could see how your current writing stood up.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »

Ice Cold Blood by The Distant Heart, Supernatural
No.
Honestly I didn't have one. I had trouble following the story.
Brian, he's the hero
The story can be hard to follow therefor it might not be for everyone.
No. I'm not a supernatural type and I don't like vampires stories. It didn't make me want to read another one.
Develop the story more. There was too much detail on little things, for example when Nick was getting the blood for them to drink.
8) Author's question: Is there any awkward English and does it hold your interest? Does it flow well?
The English wasn't awkward but I did notice a lot of repeating information said different ways. Honestly no it didn't hold my interest. I don't think it flowed well. Some parts did but it jumped POV too much.
9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not
If you like vampire/supernatural then give it a read. If you don't, I don't think it'll make you a fan.
I'd have to say 4.
No I wouldn't.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16